Seattle to the Olympic Peninsula

SuePer

My tour books recommend Ocean Crest, too but says it is in Moclips. Is this the same restaurant? It is a resort at Sunset Beach on Route 109.

Sue

Yes, Ocean Crest is actually in Moclips - I was just going to post to say as much :) We stayed at the Ocean Crest last month with some friends and it's a neat little property. Somewhat dated with a '70's vibe, but that made it kinda cool and funky too. We had one-bedroom suites with balconies and little efficiency kitchens - comfortable accommodations. The hotel sits on the edges of a wooded gorge running down to the beach below. And yeah, the restaurant is FANTASTIC!

Thanks. This is great stuff. I'll need to print it and take it with me. Really terrific advice.

Shi Shi Beach is south of Neah Bay on the west coast and I believe it is difficult to access but I've heard it is worth the effort.

My tour books recommend Ocean Crest, too but says it is in Moclips. Is this the same restaurant? It is a resort at Sunset Beach on Route 109.

Sue

Whooops.. my bad. I just know how to get there :D

Kalaloch is further North, has some great spots for beach views, and is also lovely. Kalaloch lodge...I've not been there, though we've driven past it many times.

Oh, the fun you'll have! (insert Dr. Seuss voice)

• 2 weeks later...

Much thanks. I've copied all the advice into a word document to print and take with me. Any other advice for a New Englander visiting the beautiful Olympic Peninsula? Great scenery, especially beaches and beach combing (for me), wineries (for DH), and good restaurants (for both) are what we are looking for.

Sue

Much thanks. I've copied all the advice into a word document to print and take with me. Any other advice for a New Englander visiting the beautiful Olympic Peninsula? Great scenery, especially beaches and beach combing (for me), wineries (for DH), and good restaurants (for both) are what we are looking for.

Sue

yes, the Westport Winery!

We went there last weekend, and it was really nice! They have wine tastings, and the wines are all made from Pacific Northwest grapes... they are planting their own vines, but it will be a few years before they have their own grapes.

Very good wine, very friendly people! On the way to Westport from Aberdeen, on the right side of the road. :)

I grew up going to shi shi beach--we had a truck and could drive the ww2 road to the beach in the 1960's.

in forks, I recommend the logging museum. very good. be sure and drive up the Hoh river--and walk up the trail even a mile or so to get the flavor of the area. bring rain gear for any season.

from Forks, drive the 2-3 hours out to Neah Bay. the museum there is world quality. you can drive out to tatoosh head in a short time-then take a 15-30 minute trail to see the point at the ocean. if you back track a bit, you can go to Lake Ozette and take the 3 mile board walk trail out to the beach. there is a 9 mile loop if ambitious--three miles almost level to beach, then down beach three miles, then three miles back on another board walk. you can look at NPS website or call the park about access to Shi-shi beach. I was last there in the 1970's--we parked on the indian reservation (paid a fee) and hiked a mile or two to the beach. we were there in the winter. the beach is now part of the national park--so they will have the current info.

I just remember loving shi shi. we camped there, we saw people panning for gold in the creek, we picked up unusual shells--we saw natural oil seeps. at one end of the beach are the Point of Arches.

shi shi is great--but the beach at Lake Ozette is easier to reach and is still a wilderness beach.

If you are just going out to the beach and back, I would take the south leg. we did this with young kids --there and back--in 2.5 hours.

I last backpacked out to sandpoint (from lake ozette) a couple ofyears ago--still fabulous. eagles, otters, and we just missed seeing a bear.

Shi Shi sounds great. I'm a real sea shell nut. Love to collect them. It will be interesting to see what kind of shells I can find on the Northwest coast.

We will definitely go to the Westport winery. My husband will like visiting the wineries along the way.

Thanks for all the great advice about the Olympic Peninsula. Only three weeks till the cruise and four weeks until we head to the peninsula.

Sue

• 2 months later...

Sue I was wondering if you'd post back a trip report on your Olympic Peninsula experience as we are looking at doing the same after our Seattle trip next year. It seems some rooms at the National Park Lodges are getting booked for next summer already so I am trying to pin down my date now. Thanks!!

Archived