Countryside Safari Review

Sunny AZ Girl

We just got back from the Explorer of the Seas 9 night cruise that took us to Casa de Campo. I must say I was a bit hesitant about this port due to many poor reviews. We decided to take a chance and book a tour through the ship. We went on the COUNTRYSIDE SAFARI excursion and really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it for anyone with a few exceptions - those who have a bad back, those who are pregnant, and during a very HOT time of year you may not enjoy it as much as the trucks are open air.

We were driven on country roads through vast fieds of sugar cane where we saw sights that I did not know existed in this part of the world anymore. There were oxen pulling carts and Haitian people (the Dominicans won't do this type of labor for the most part, according to our guide) harvesting the sugar cane using sickles. Afterwards we went through a wooded area and then ended up at a nursery where orchids were being grown for export. Then on to a place where workers were hand rolling cigars and we learned a bit about the tobacco industry. We had a shopping stop in La Ramona (which is a typical, poor Caribbean town) and then saw some beautiful homes where many of the area's wealthy live. The wealthy compromise 10 percent of the population (millionaires), 80% are very poor and the remaining 10% are in between.

We had an excellent guide. As I stated before, our truck was open air on the sides but was covered on the top for shade. It was a very warm day, but we were comfortable in the moving truck. I have a bad knee and hip and am fluffy, but had no trouble getting into the truck. The ride was bumpy at times, but not jarring. There were a total of 6 trucks, but they did not not all follow the same route so we felt as if most of our stops we were the only ones there. I believe we had about 16 people in each truck.

After getting a sunburn in Labadee the day before this tour was a welcome change. Everyone I spoke to on this tour enjoyed it. I heard some not-so-great comments on the amphibeous boat tour and on the tour to the churches. Friends of ours enjoyed the Altos De Chavon and Mississippi Boat Tour. I don't remember hearing too much from the people who went to the beaches, so maybe some of them will comment here as well.

I had not read many reviews on this tour before, so I thought I would post for those looking for what to do in Casa de Campo. I will post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.

Archived