No Formal nights?

Nicki61

While we don't always like formal night, I agree it they should keep it. If we don't want to dress up, we just go to the buffet. There are those who will never like it and try to come to the dining room in jeans and baseball caps. We feel they should respect the dress code and just eat else where on that night. We all need to dress up once in a while, it feels good!

Sure was!! How do I correct it? Thanks

You can delete the post by clicking EDIT on the bottom, delete it then save it. Only you can delete a double post.

And as far as "dressing" for dinner. I can not agree more with you. We dress every night. I mean why not, our waiters are in tux or close to it. The best food ever served to you. And to think you would be sitting there with jeans or shorts, a shirt slightly better than a t-shirt or a t-shirt eatting lobster or beef wellington!? Doesnt' make sense. AND if someone doesn't want to get dressed for dinner, the lido is open. We want to dine, not buffet it. We want to relax, chat and enjoy our dinner in a style it was meant to be enjoyed. That is why the lights are low, the music is playing softly and there are more than 1 utensil on the table.

I just read on another board that Princess no longer is doing Formal night? Is that true? If that is true, it is very sad. We always look forward to formal night. I mean, how often do we all get dressed in tuxes and gowns?

Anyone know?

I am on the Star Princess right now. We have had 5 formal nights during the first two cruises. I believe there will be another two on the next cruise.

Who would want to sit beside someome that has just come from being out in the heat from the ports they just visited in the clothes they have worn all day.? Not me!!! And don't say you wouldn't do that, maybe you wouldn't, but you know some people just don't care about how they dress.

I agree with you. When we were in Hawaii in March, we took the excursions that got us back to the ship at 4:30. Since we had early seating we would not go to the formal dining room since we would NEVER go there in our excursion clothing and it would be too much rushing to get their by 6:00 so we ate in the Horizon Court those nights. But on formal nights, we looked forward to dressing up and rejoining the very nice people we sat with each night and caught up with everyone. We also enjoyed having our picture taken each formal night also. The picture is the only "souvenier" we bring home for ourselves. So, I am with you on SAVE FORMAL NIGHT!! :D

You can delete the post by clicking EDIT on the bottom, delete it then save it. Only you can delete a double post.

And as far as "dressing" for dinner. I can not agree more with you. We dress every night. I mean why not, our waiters are in tux or close to it. The best food ever served to you. And to think you would be sitting there with jeans or shorts, a shirt slightly better than a t-shirt or a t-shirt eatting lobster or beef wellington!? Doesnt' make sense. AND if someone doesn't want to get dressed for dinner, the lido is open. We want to dine, not buffet it. We want to relax, chat and enjoy our dinner in a style it was meant to be enjoyed. That is why the lights are low, the music is playing softly and there are more than 1 utensil on the table.

I'm not really sure what doesn't make sense, the waiters always wear their uniforms, the food has never been the best ever served to us, the lobster or beef wellington does not care what the person eating it is wearing, there are always more than one utensil on the table, the lighting level is always the same and the same muzak is always playing. We can also relax and chat and enjoy our dinner no matter what one is wearing as well.

What doesn't make sense is an artificial throwback to the "glory" days of a crossing in first class and pretending that it is so much "fun" to dress up to eat your dinner.

To each their own, but do not be too surprised that not everyone will agree.

Cheers,

Peter

I'm not really sure what doesn't make sense, the waiters always wear their uniforms, the food has never been the best ever served to us, the lobster or beef wellington does not care what the person eating it is wearing, there are always more than one utensil on the table, the lighting level is always the same and the same muzak is always playing. We can also relax and chat and enjoy our dinner no matter what one is wearing as well.

What doesn't make sense is an artificial throwback to the "glory" days of a crossing in first class and pretending that it is so much "fun" to dress up to eat your dinner.

Cheers,

Peter

I'm sorry but I am not pretending it is fum to dress up!! I truly enjoy it and i do think it makes a difference in how you present yourself . the world of cruising is changing, but lets try and keep some standards the same. And I do agree to each his own .

Thanks everyone for your help in my double posts. I did try but it didn't work can I still do it once the edit box is removed?

Peter, I certainly did not mean to offend you since you seem to be one of the cruisers that don't feel they need to dress any better for dinner the diningroom as they do for the lido deck or a picnic.

I however and it seems several others LOVE dressing for dinner. That is our choice as is yours for not dressing. To each their own.

We don't allow our staff at our bar/hotel/gift shop to wear jeans to work. It lowers the quality of work, how they carry themselves and how they are presented to the public.

Just our opinion, but when I wear shorts for dinner it will be on the lido deck.

Formal night topic always brings out the far right or the far left.

Peter, I certainly did not mean to offend you since you seem to be one of the cruisers that don't feel they need to dress any better for dinner the diningroom as they do for the lido deck or a picnic.

I however and it seems several others LOVE dressing for dinner. That is our choice as is yours for not dressing. To each their own.

We don't allow our staff at our bar/hotel/gift shop to wear jeans to work. It lowers the quality of work, how they carry themselves and how they are presented to the public.

Just our opinion, but when I wear shorts for dinner it will be on the lido deck.

Nicki61, Everything you have said I totally agree with and I'm sure this topic is going to go on for quit some time!!!

Offend me, far from it, just stating my opinion. There will always be those that "love" to dress up, feel free, no one is stopping you from doing so however your point was that it doesn't make sense to eat lobster or beef wellington in a t-shirt or shorts. My point was it doesn't care what you wear when you eat it. Hint, they served both those items in the Cafe Caribe on the Lido deck the last time we were on it.

As to your bar/hotel/gift shop, you are the employer and can force your employees to wear whatever you wish. Most do have uniforms from Hooters to the Ritz. If you think it improves the experience far be it from me to dissuade you.

Cheers,

Peter

I don't think the lobster cares what we are wearing either.

If the lobster could care about anything, I would think the lobster would care that we were eating it at all, not what we were wearing.

I hope Princess never does away with it.

If NCL and Carnival want to go casual then fine.....but I would hope Princess and RCCL would want to have their own clientele

Harry I just got off a b2b on the Voyager. Can't speak to Princess after only one cruise (and one booked next August) but as far as I can see the only clientele RC is catering to right now is fill the ship, fill the ship, fill the ship.!

On our back to back the second week at the table next to ours had 4 gentelmen all in open collar shirts and slacks on formal night..........not a coat or tie among them. On the table behind us were to gentelmen in blue jeans. Now granted there were several in suits and tuxes but not near what we have seen in the past. Of course we couldn't see everyone on 3 dining room floors either.

We have one more cruise this fall on RC and have just booked the Pacific Princess for next August. We want to try a smaller ship and attempt a return to Princess.

With a fill the mega ship mentality to fill Voyager class ships, Freedom and the upcoming Genisis project, dress code becomes less important compared to filling the berths at full capacity.

We truly hope the experience we have on the Pacific Princess will be more what cruising was even 6 years ago.........forget about 20 years ago.....I'll settle for what it was in 2000 and hope the Pacific Princess fills the bill.

RC is getting whatever they asked for by building larger ships...........and I mean this sincerely.........I hope it is what they expected.

Offend me, far from it, just stating my opinion. There will always be those that "love" to dress up, feel free, no one is stopping you from doing so however your point was that it doesn't make sense to eat lobster or beef wellington in a t-shirt or shorts. My point was it doesn't care what you wear when you eat it. Hint, they served both those items in the Cafe Caribe on the Lido deck the last time we were on it.

As to your bar/hotel/gift shop, you are the employer and can force your employees to wear whatever you wish. Most do have uniforms from Hooters to the Ritz. If you think it improves the experience far be it from me to dissuade you.

Cheers,

Peter

When you state your opinion and then toss in insults about "throwbacks" and call it "dressing up" with negative connotation - and those of us who know your opinion about dressing for dinner know your distaste for the practice - it's stops becoming a statement of opinion and sounds more like a negative evalutation of what others want.

Do you really think a cruise line will continue to offer something other than waitstaffs in shorts and t-shirts and food equivalent to your local fast-food joint if the passengers dress and act like they're spending their day at a theme park? If you don't want to dress for dinner, please use the alternatives offered to you. As you've stated you can go to Cafe Caribe and get the same food. Or, you can continue to put money in your stockholder pocket by choosing Carnival. Either way you get the casual vacation experience you desire.

And the rest of us can enjoy the vacation experience we desire without listening to the disparaging remarks.

Once, and only once, I went to dinner wearing my excursion clothes because I didn't have time to go to my cabin and change. When the waiter set my lobster in front of me, the lobster visibly shuddered at the sight of me (all my tablemates saw it too!) and I found its flavor to be slightly bitter as a result.

By the way, we are not talking high fashion in this post. Rather, it's the difference between what's called "smart casual" and beachcomber fare.

Once, and only once, I went to dinner wearing my excursion clothes because I didn't have time to go to my cabin and change. When the waiter set my lobster in front of me, the lobster visibly shuddered at the sight of me (all my tablemates saw it too!) and I found its flavor to be slightly bitter as a result.

By the way, we are not talking high fashion in this post. Rather, it's the difference between what's called "smart casual" and beachcomber fare.

:D Now that's funny.

You had lobster on casual night? What cruise line was that? I like it.:)

Bill

Actually the topic of this conversation was "No Formal Nights?"

The original topic was that i had seen on another board that Princess was stopping the formal night practice and if this was true our faulse.

So "smart casual" or beachcomber was only brought up by you.

And FYI- Smart casual isn't shorts.

But that isnt' the topic. Formal night, suits & ties & nice dresses & high heals are the topic. Feeling all dressed up for a fancy dinner with my dear Husband. That is the topic. Because in reality we don't get all dressed up for dinner. We clean up, put some decent clothes on and go out. Or we sit at our table chatting and having a nice dinner. But getting "dressed" for dinner or getting out the suit and tie or fancy cocktail dress is fabulous 1 or 2 times a cruise.

Does the lobster care? Nope. But I do.

My wife and I cruise once or twice a year, which means I have four or five chances to wear my cruise suit.

As long as I feel comfortable wearing my cruise suit, I'm happy because I must be doing something right with my diet and we might even be able to to move up to three cruises a year.

If my cruise suit starts feeling uncomfortable:

I can try to lose weight before the next cruise.

I can stop going on cruises.

I can get a new cruise suit.

I can advocate for no Formal nights on cruises.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter,

There are other cruise lines that don't have formal nights. Try one of those and leave this one to those of us who enjoy formal nights and dressing up.

DW and I both enjoy the formal nights. We probably would not sail with a line such as NCL or Carnival because of the lack of formal nights. However we do respect the fact that many people, including friends of ours, sail with these lines for exactly that reason. We just feel that dressing for dinner 2 or 3 times on a cruise is a traditon of cruising and would hope that lines like Princess and Celebrity will continue with the tradition.

Archived