What they really wear in Barcelona

Given that it's a market frequented by locals and tourists alike I'm sure some of them aren't.:D Unless we can hear them speak how can any of us tell for sure? :confused: :) At least we know if we dress in 'tourist' gear we won't be alone!

P.S. I really don't mind what anyone chooses to wear it's a free world.

While looking through the Barcelona photos on www.tripadvisor.com I came across this one of people outside the Boqueira market. It made me smile when I thought of all the "you won't see any jeans, shorts, trainers etc." posts.:)

[ATTACH]77390[/ATTACH]

The issue with jeans is that they are heavy, show dirt, and it isn't easy to rinse them out in the sink and wear them the next day. They take forever to dry.

It is more of a convenience thing than a fashion statement.

As far as trainers go, I've never heard not to wear them. Sneakers are another issue.

You will never see me in Reeboks and a skirt but I've worn my Prada trainers with more skirts or casual day dresses than not.

I fell for this very same thing on our first trip to Europe. Jeans were everywhere, especially in Italy. Claimed all locals dressed "up"...Not true. in fact our private driver showed up in jeans in Naples. Wear what you want:)

Jan

I agree 100%

I was in Italy this past early fall (RCCL-Voyager of the Seas)--and had heard all the 'don't wear white sneakers. Local don't wear sneakerrs', 'don't wear jeans'...and on and on.

I made it a point to look out for these items while travelling into Florence, Rome and on the Amalfi Coast.

On the train to Rome...most locals...including older women...wearing white Adidas, Pumas, etc.

In Florence...lots of students...lots of sneakers.

Granted, I did see my share of very fashionable Italian ladies in high heels (how they can wear those on thos old cobblestones in Florence is beyond me!) and dressed to the nines. But, for everyday wear, many Italians were wearing sneakers and jeans. :)

It cracks me up to think someone would actually care that someone in Barcalona would think you are dressed like a tourist.

Why on earth would you care one way or the other what they think of your attire....as long as it's appropriate and comfortable.

You are a tourist. You're not a local...why is it so important to try and look like something you aren't. Who is going to remember you 5 minutes after you're gone?

I've been renting travel videos on the European cities I'll be visiting on my Med cruise soon, and I also was shocked to see JEANS, JEANS, JEANS and more jeans. I even saw shorts (OMG!!) and sneakers. And skirts and dresses and pants and T-shirts and high heels and leather flats. In other words - I saw everything imaginable. And I have no idea who were the tourists and who were the locals and it finally dawned on me that it just doesn't matter what you wear as long as you are comfortable and it's appropriate for the venue (churches etc).

I've really relaxed on this after watching the videos, it really does not matter. I've seen travel videos of Rome, Lisbon, Florence, Naples, etc. and I saw all kinds of different clothing at each place.

I always smile when I read posts re how Europeans dress. Believe me, there is absolutely no difference in how Americans ( I've been to the US) and Europeans dress. I was in Rome for Easter and the only way to tell the difference between the locals and the tourists was not dress but the fact that we tourists all had our noses stuck in maps! In Europe, including here in the UK, most people dress very casually. We're looking forward to going on our cruise as we love to 'dress up' and there is very little opportunity for us to do this now. In London, only the most expensive restaurants will expect guests to wear a tie and not always then. Look at the recent BAFTA awards - the presenter, Graham Norton, didn't even wear a tie. Dress as you like in Europe - no one will care.

Depends where in Europe and the age of the people in that locale.

I went to Budapest in '06 and the women my age (mid 60s) were usually in skirts or dresses, not pants of any type. My friend and I did dress in slacks because that is what we are used to, but we did stand out.

Now Italy in '98 was another matter. As a matter of fact, my husband was very disappointed by the number of Gucci jeans, cell phones and Nike tennis shoes, it could have been someplace here in the States. Everyone everywhere had them on and had a cell phone stuck in their ear. And no, they were not tourists.

Archived