So just how much cheaper is it, actually, to fly Southwest?

Globaliser

But not simple enough. Why the need to board those who within the group in consecutive order?

I think the simpler things are at the airport the better. IME the travelling public seem to have enough problem with listening to a gate agent say a group number and then approaching the podium when the the number the GA says matches their boarding pass! :rolleyes:

As for getting to the gate an hour before boarding to stand in line. Forget that! I'm glad Southwest works for you but it seems a daft process if you ask me.

SWA's system is very simple and they load an aircraft in less time than any other carrier I've been on. They stick to their schedule, the leave on time and they even make a profit. Sounds like a pretty good company to me.:rolleyes: :)

So, with my 6:45 am flight, I need to be there, IN LINE, at 5:45? Even with a boarding pass? :eek:

Maybe I want a Group C after all!

If I'm at the computer at 6:45 am the day before I fly and print my boarding pass, why do I need to line up an hour before takeoff? If I'm not there that early (after all I do have to park the car, get the shuttle bus, get to terminal, and check in), what happens?

Maybe I can drop off DD with the luggage, she can check us both in, correct? And then she can go stand in line. Yeah, she'll really like that idea. :(

She's not much of a morning person, anyway. Maybe I'll let her go park the car.

Oh well. We'll manage somehow.

So, with my 6:45 am flight, I need to be there, IN LINE, at 5:45? Even with a boarding pass? :eek:

Maybe I want a Group C after all!

If I'm at the computer at 6:45 am the day before I fly and print my boarding pass, why do I need to line up an hour before takeoff? If I'm not there that early (after all I do have to park the car, get the shuttle bus, get to terminal, and check in), what happens?

Maybe I can drop off DD with the luggage, she can check us both in, correct? And then she can go stand in line. Yeah, she'll really like that idea. :(

She's not much of a morning person, anyway. Maybe I'll let her go park the car.

Oh well. We'll manage somehow.

One person can't check two people in. Each person MUST be there for check in-TSA rules. Have to match ID with each individual person.

And yes-even with the NEW boarding pass system, everyone still lines up an hour pre flight. Be prepared for a total zoo and hope for the best. The boarding procedure and no assigned seats is one of the biggest reasons I absolutely detest SW.

One person can't check two people in. Each person MUST be there for check in-TSA rules. Have to match ID with each individual person.

And yes-even with the NEW boarding pass system, everyone still lines up an hour pre flight. Be prepared for a total zoo and hope for the best. The boarding procedure and no assigned seats is one of the biggest reasons I absolutely detest SW.

I've only flown Southwest once in the last few years. The only thing I like about their new boarding procedure is that half the plane is not allowed to preboard - that is, families must wait until Group A boards. It was ridiculous when they allowed families to preboard, and a group of 15 adults with one child would all get on together, cutting in front of people who arrived far earlier then they did!

I thought it was much more organized and easier when they just handed out those plastic boarding cards that were numbered, and you boarded in order of your assigned number. No silly lettered poles, no confusion over boarding groups, just boarding numerically. Fast and efficient. Now, I agree; it's a total zoo.

Since all other airlines are changing fees for everything, perhaps WN can start to monetize their boarding process.

You want a high group A position, that will be $50

You want a mid group A position, that will be $40

all the way down to nothing if you are in the last group to board.

Oh, an no saving of seats for other people in your group in order to get around this. First come, first served for seats on-board, no questions-asked.

It'd be interesting to see how this would work out. It's bascially akin to the premium seating charges that NW & US do and to some degree, the same as UA's premium plus access fee.

As so many CC members anxiously await the next release of Southwest fares as if they were manna from heaven, and it happens to be reporting season at the moment, I thought I'd indulge my curiousity.

I looked at the measure of financial performance known as “yield” from some of the recent financial results announcements. This is basically the average price paid by each passenger to fly one mile, and is sometimes called Revenue per Passenger Mile. It’s not the only important measure, because there’s not a lot of point having passengers that have paid a humungous price per mile if 90% of the seats on your aircraft are empty.

And, obviously, if you take an average price, there are bound to be individual passengers who have done well because they happen to have got a very low fare.

But yield is a reasonably good indicator of what passengers are, on average, actually paying the airline for their tickets.

One important thing to remember is that many airlines have business class and first class, for which passengers obviously pay much higher fares per travelled mile. So this will tend to push up their reported number. The yield from the main cabin will be lower. But Southwest does not have this - all their numbers come from the main cabin.

Where I’ve been able to, I’ve taken the figures for mainline operations, because regional operations tend to return much higher figures per passenger mile, and Southwest has no regional operations as such.

For the first quarter of 2008, in ascending order of cents per passenger mile:

Northwest: 12.71

United: 13.13

Continental: 13.45

American: 13.48

Southwest: 13.72

Delta: 14.54

And for comparison, in the first quarter of 2007, in ascending order of cents per passenger mile:

United: 11.74

Continental: 12.55

Northwest: 12.59

American: 12.82

Southwest: 13.11

Delta: 13.71

So I wonder: just how much cheaper is it, actually, to fly Southwest? Or is the perception of low fares simply the result of successful marketing gimmicks, as some have alleged?

THis is a very missleading statistic. As consumers we don't price tickets based on miles flown. We search the best fares from point A to point B. SW may actuall get less actual passenger flight as for many long flights for SW from Point A to Point B relies on Flying from Point A to point C then to Point D then finally to Point B. SW thus is additonally penalized but yields more revenue, how can this be? It isn't because theyactually charge more.

What is lost is how full is each flight and how much time SW airlines are in the air versus on the ground.

Another thing lost in this statistic is SW has been a very agressive fuel hedger lowering their fuel bill these past few years. So this also boost their revenue/mile flown

I'm not a road warrior but in my travels I've traveled Delta, AA, Alaska, NW, United and SW often enough in the past 5 years to say that my experience is no one herds their passengers on and off the airlines faster. On average most of the other airlines the airplane is at the gate when I get there while the SW pulls in while I"m at the gate. Just those 20-30' per leg can lead to one more fare paying flight for SW. That one extra leg can make the difference between making money vs. losing money regardless of a 10% cheaper fare on the flight.

Generally I find SW competitive with their regular fares. When other airlines run specials they are competitive to cheaper, but on average I find SW shows verycompetitive and cheaper fares on average. Its close enough that all things being the same I pick to lock in the cheapest convenient flight, most of the time its SW.

You are so incorrect on your statements.....

If you check in online (which most folks are doing to get an "A" boarding pass) and print the boarding pass from home or wherever, you can can checkin all the travellers that you are travelling with. If you choose to not print the boarding passes from home or wherever you checked in online, you can also do this at one of the kiosks at the airport as well.

You DO NOT have to be at the gate 1 hour before the flight to get your position in line. I have been to the the gate as late as 30 minutes BEFORE the flight and still sat down until they gate agent called the Group and Boarding #'s and just got up from my seat and proceeded to board the aircraft with ease.

You really need to quit your false statememnts and condemning of SWA, just because you don't care for this airline.

THis is a very missleading statistic. As consumers we don't price tickets based on miles flown. We search the best fares from point A to point B. SW may actuall get less actual passenger flight as for many long flights for SW from Point A to Point B relies on Flying from Point A to point C then to Point D then finally to Point B. SW thus is additonally penalized but yields more revenue, how can this be? It isn't because theyactually charge more.
If airline A sells a ticket for $100 for a 1000 mile flight from point A to point B, the yield is 10 cents per mile.

If airline B (eg Southwest) sells a ticket for the same $100 for a flight from A to C to D then to B, totalling 1250 miles, the yield is 8 cents per mile.

Southwest's model tends to push their yield number down, not up. So in this list, Southwest's model should tend to make it appear cheaper, not more expensive.

If Southwest were truly cheaper (eg selling tickets for $80 rather than $100), then I'd expect to see the yield number go even further down. Yet the yield number isn't actually much lower than the others - who, as I say, have premium cabins which tend to push their yield numbers up.

If you check in online (which most folks are doing to get an "A" boarding pass) and print the boarding pass from home or wherever, you can can checkin all the travellers that you are travelling with. If you choose to not print the boarding passes from home or wherever you checked in online, you can also do this at one of the kiosks at the airport as well.

Actually Greatam is referring to checking-in of luggage I believe (that's how I read it)- there is an ID check at that point at which point the luggage will only be checked for the proper people.

So if there are two people in the flying and each is only checking 1 bag, conceivably one person could check both bags under their name with the other passenger technically having no checked luggage. But if you are checking 3 bags for 2 people, both people need to be there unless you want to pay those extra-baggage fees. :D

You are correct regarding the luggage check in issue ie. passengers, but the whole point is that greatam is hell bent to ridicule SW for anything and everything they do and gives some false statements regarding their boarding procedures.

Some folks swear by SW and some don't, but just make sure the facts provided are accurate is all I am saying.

Actually the whole point of the new boarding procedure was to eliminate the standing in line for an hour to get a better seat. Now you don't get in line until just before your group boards. There are now only too lines of 45 people each instead of the old three lines winding through the empty seats at most airports. It is fast, it is easy and it is a great improvement.

Actually the whole point of the new boarding procedure was to eliminate the standing in line for an hour to get a better seat. Now you don't get in line until just before your group boards. There are now only too lines of 45 people each instead of the old three lines winding through the empty seats at most airports. It is fast, it is easy and it is a great improvement.

Thank you for stating the facts of SW boarding process... it is much easier and quicker than in the past.

I do not always fly SW, but if the fares and schedule meet my needs I don't hesitate to use this airline.

Airline travel over the past years has been a nightmare in general...the fun of flying is gone due to heightened security at airports, new luggage restrictions, etc.... but for many it is a necessary means to get from point "A" to point "B"..... So pick the airline(s) you feel confortable with based on your opinion. :D

You DO NOT have to be at the gate 1 hour before the flight to get your position in line. I have been to the the gate as late as 30 minutes BEFORE the flight and still sat down until they gate agent called the Group and Boarding #'s and just got up from my seat and proceeded to board the aircraft with ease.

You really need to quit your false statememnts and condemning of SWA, just because you don't care for this airline.

IF you bothered to read the entire post you are referring to, it was a reply to NCTribeFan who was going to drop his daughter off with BOTH sets of luggage and try to get it checked in. My post is correct-you cannot do that.

And again, please tell my employee who stood in line at MCI with a low number B boarding pass last week. In BETWEEN the A and B groups, SW loaded ALL the families before they allowed the B and C groups to board. There were not a lot of seats left that weren't middle seats or next to family groups.

As camp637 posted, the RULES state SW will load children UNDER 4 and AN adult between A and B. But the gate agents have wide latitude to interpret the RULES. If it happened at MCI (large SW presence), I will just bet that it happens at a lot more airports. So what did you gain with the new boarding system???? You still get to stand in line for quite a while.

I make no bones about it-I absolutely DETEST SW. Doesn't mean they are not a profitable airline or a viable alternative for some people. But don't be fooled that SW is the "LOW FARE LEADER" and that IS the original topic of this thread. They are not and have not been the "low fare leader" for quite a few years out of most markets. If search was not down, I would pull up one of my posts from 3 or 4, maybe even 5 years ago. Had to book tickets for friends flying into Vegas from all over the USA for a "girls weekend". Only ONE flight was cheaper on SW.

Sorry to hear your staff had a bad experience with SWA.....it all boils down to either you like them or hate them. Are they the least expensive carrier?....not in all instances. I have flown them in STL, JAX, FLL, etc... and had nothing but good experiences with their new boarding procedures... Perhaps it is luck, maybe not, but for me, SWA is on my list of preferred carriers !

Some folks swear by SW and some don't

And don't forget those who just swear AT Southwest...:D

I fly Southwest when it is the absolute last resort. I don't have the time to waste hanging at the gate and hoping for a seat that I like. Also, their fares aren't really better than a savvy traveler can find elsewhere.

I have been following this thread and find it interesting that it is posted on a Cruise site.... These post are typical of the post between cruisers of one cruiseline vs. cruisers of another cruiseline...

Having flown many different airlines I can see where each poster has points in most instances... SWA has done an excellent job of marketing their product and also have stood behind their marketing in customer satisfaction ratings.... I can't say as I like the "different" seating arrangement that SWA has and is using, but having said that, I find that if their planes are using the airports at the schedule that I am needing to travel that I have no problem pricing and using their services.... Sometimes the price is a tad bit more, sometimes its a tad bit less... But their service is second to none if you are wanting to move from point a to point b without the bells and whistles of other airlines... But if bells and whistles are important to you then SWA may not be the airlines for you...

Sorta like cruiselines.....:cool:

Joey

I thought it was much more organized and easier when they just handed out those plastic boarding cards that were numbered, and you boarded in order of your assigned number. No silly lettered poles, no confusion over boarding groups, just boarding numerically. Fast and efficient. Now, I agree; it's a total zoo.

That's right! That's how they used to do it, I couldn't remember exactly. I much preferred that system, too. This was even before online check-in. Used to be they opened the gate for check-in 1 hour before departure. They would hand out plastic boarding passes in numerical order. Then when it was time to board, the gate agent would take number 1-30, then 31-60, then 61-90, etc.

Of course I was one of the ones that when I got my boarding pass (usually always between numbers 1-30 cuz I got there early), I went and got in line right away so I could board earlier in the group.

I guess the new numbering sub-system is alright, I've only traveled once with them since they began that way of boarding. Just seemed congested with everyone trying to get in line numerically.

As much as some DETEST SW, I usually detest having to fly a carrier besides SW. :p I am going to visit my brother in North Dakota in July and MUST fly Northwest Airlines, as they're the only airline to service where he lives. I know this sounds weird, but it makes me kind of nervous to fly carriers other than SW because I am so used to flying JUST THEM and have grown accustomed to them. We're actually flying US Air and American into Miami from Charlotte for our September cruise. Could have used SW out of Raleigh, to Ft Lauderdale, but we're 2 hours to Charlotte compared to 3.5 to Raleigh, and our cruise leaves from Miami so we would have incurred additional shuttle cost. I do miss the days of living in a SW city!!

I didn't mean to start an argument over the checkin procedures. And I do appreciate all the comments. Now I have a better idea of what to expect.

Yes, technically, one of us could check in the luggage (we will probably have 1 checked bag each, and 1 carryon each, so she could check in the two bags and hang onto the carryons and I'd catch up with her after parking the car).

OT: NCMtnBoys - I'm originally from Cleveland, but my parents were from Watuaga County. I lived there for about 15 years, but when DD went off to school at ECU in 2005, I had to get out. Gorgeous area, but cost of living is high and I hated what they'd done to the area in the name of economics & progress (non-existant growth planning; small group of people making huge money off land development), and had to get away from the winters. And I cannot tell you how much I like having an airport 15 minutes from the house!

OT: NCMtnBoys - I'm originally from Cleveland, but my parents were from Watuaga County. I lived there for about 15 years, but when DD went off to school at ECU in 2005, I had to get out. Gorgeous area, but cost of living is high and I hated what they'd done to the area in the name of economics & progress (non-existant growth planning; small group of people making huge money off land development), and had to get away from the winters. And I cannot tell you how much I like having an airport 15 minutes from the house!

NCTribeFan, I'm kind of new to this area, actually. I lived in Sacramento, CA for 35 years until 2006 when I moved to Johnson City, TN, then moved over near Boone last October. I do like the area, gorgeous as you say, but it does take some getting used to compared to CA, lol. There are things I don't think I'll EVER get used to! I envy your proximity to the airport, especially with it being RDU since SW is there!

I'd planned to drive to Port Canaveral in May. I hadn't found any decent fares (checking regularly).

After glancing at this thread this morning, I decided to check SW. I found RDU to MCO for just over $300 total (2 pp). I went ahead and booked it. Early flight on Friday which will get me into Orlando early enough to get to Cocoa Beach in time to see the rocket (not shuttle) that launches at noon!

I no longer am very willing to drive 8 or 9 hours straight, so was going to break up the drive both down and back. Eliminating 2 nights in a hotel and the gas and the aggravation is worth it.

Got 1-way car rental for $31 each way, which was more than $20 cheaper than a shuttle. Yes, I'll have to pay to park at the airport, but all things considered, the few dollars more is worth not spending two days in the car.

I've never flown Southwest before. We'll see how it goes.

This will be our first time flying with Southwest, too. We leave from RDU to MCO on Sunday morning. Our rate was $362 for two people. I have to agree it doesn't make sense to drive 8 or 9 hours for the same price you could get there in 1 1/2 hours. I decided to do a weekly car rental with Enterprise for $98 and will leave my car at the hotel. I think the extra price on the rental car balances out the hassel of waiting for a shuttle to and from the port.:D

I hadn't thought about that. I reserved a car for a day for when we arrive, and for the 6-7 hours or so that we'll have after we disembark. Since I originally booked a cruise parking package at the Radisson, maybe I'll check the rate for a week and just leave the car at the hotel.

Please let us know how the boarding process was, how early you were there, etc. Enjoy your cruise!

I did a random check of prices today. Picked two dates -- May 17th -- May 24th (Sat -- Sat) and Oct 11th -- 18th (Sat -- Sat). I picked only flights with one stop and flights I considered convenient for a cruise passenger. I did go with the lower price if it was doable. (still one stop only).

All these flights were ABQ -- FLL. You may want to try this for your departure city and see what comes up.(??)

May 17th -- May 24th flights:

American Airlines = $282 + taxes = $322.50

Continental Airlines = $388 + taxes = $419.50

Delta Airlines = $449.00 + taxes = $489.50

Southwest Airlines = $247.45 + taxes = $306.50

United Airlines = $822.32 + taxes = $924.49

US Airlines = $351 + taxes = $391.50

Oct 11 -- 18th flights:

American Airlines = $468.00 + taxes = $508.50

Continental Airlines = $358.00 + taxes = $389.50

Southwest Airlines = $229.77 + taxes = $280.50

United Airlines = $286.00 + taxes = $348.51

US Airlines = $463 + taxes = $503.50

I realize these prices will change day to day and week to week, but at this point which airline would you select?

I would select either AA or SWA for the May date depending on the connect time and departure times. I prefer very early morning flights.

I would go with SWA on the Oct date, as the United flight goes to ORD first (Yuck).

Southwest is not always the lowest, but most of the time it is from ABQ.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I did a random check of prices today. Picked two dates -- May 17th -- May 24th (Sat -- Sat) and Oct 11th -- 18th (Sat -- Sat). I picked only flights with one stop and flights I considered convenient for a cruise passenger. I did go with the lower price if it was doable. (still one stop only).

All these flights were ABQ -- FLL. You may want to try this for your departure city and see what comes up.(??)

May 17th -- May 24th flights:

American Airlines = $282 + taxes = $322.50

Continental Airlines = $388 + taxes = $419.50

Southwest Airlines = $247.45 + taxes = $306.50

United Airlines = $822.32 + taxes = $924.49

US Airlines = $351 + taxes = $391.50

Oct 11 -- 18th flights:

American Airlines = $468.00 + taxes = $508.50

Continental Airlines = $358.00 + taxes = $389.50

Southwest Airlines = $229.77 + taxes = $280.50

United Airlines = $286.00 + taxes = $348.51

US Airlines = $463 + taxes = $503.50

I realize these prices will change day to day and week to week, but at this point which airline would you select?

I would select either AA or SWA for the May date depending on the connect time and departure times. I prefer very early morning flights.

I would go with SWA on the Oct date, as the United flight goes to ORD first (Yuck).

Southwest is not always the lowest, but most of the time it is from ABQ.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Pretty consistent with what I see when I price out flights. Unless an airline is doing some promos SW always comes up cheapest or nearly so. Doesn't matter what other statistics like revenue per passenger mile flown says. I hope they continue to be profitable and show the big guys it can be done, even without fuel hedging.

And see I just did a similiar search from my area and came up with

for Seattle:

United $438

American $484

Northwest $509

Southwest $544

Continental $625

Delta $685

and

for Chicago:

American $315 (non-stop)

Northwest $329

Delta $341

Southwest $358 (for one stop flights)

Continental $383

United $538

and for a trip to Florida

Northwest $261

Delta $263

Continental $339

US Airways $380

Southwest $442

United $459

American $498

I think the whole point is a lot of people wait on Southwest because they assume it will be cheaper - and that is not always the case - and from many places is rarely the case anymore. For example a lot of people around here assume that Southwest is cheaper to Dallas - but you can get the exact same fares on American almost all the time, and many times American is less than Southwest.

Archived