RCCL Legend of the Seas to Hawaii 11/21/04

ElsieToo -
We're staying at the Doubletree at LAX on Saturday - they have a good park and fly deal. It's cheaper and safer than parking in one of the lots, and the hotel shuttle will deliver us to the airport. Thanks for the offer of splitting the shuttle!
We looked into flying RT to/from San Diego, but this way was cheaper. Seems kind of silly to fly, but anything to save a buck, huh?!

Renorita -
I asked my doc about those patches you wear behind your ear, but he said that they have bad side effects. I've read a lot of posts about those wrist bands that work using accupressure - my co-worker swears by them. We are taking those and some good ol' Dramamine. Not sure what to expect - our only other cruises were 3 days to Mexico - not really open ocean sailing. It'll be interesting to see what kind of swells/waves we get out there. People with fancy balcony rooms may be begging me for my inside, low and in the middle of the ship room (you feel the motion less here than higher on the ship)! I can't wait!
s

PC...we had friends across from us on this same route, but on The Summit back in 2002. They had a balcony, and really did not enjoy it, as they could not sleep at night due to the ocean noise.

They can give us a lifeboat for all we care, as long as we are there! *S*

[quote name='Jevey']I'm packed and ready to go! Now Wor Lad..is another matter. He does not even have a suitcase out yet! Driving me bonkers he is. Hope you are packed, I need support here.[/QUOTE]

I have the suitcases out... I suppose I should start packing :D

The problem is my cats will begin a formal tirade parade through the house when they realize we are going away.. *again*. I don't think I'm up to the...
"MOMMY... this is *wholly* un-acceptable!" look just yet ;)

Oh yes and about sea-sickness... the only trip I've been on where I got sick. We had 8-10' swells with quite a bit of pitch and yaw as well... I just went up on Lido deck, sat in the 'air conditioning' of the rear bar, with the sea air blowing in my face and in about 10 minutes I was fine. :)

Thanks for the info on seasick remedies Patriotic, probably bring something just in case. So far never have gotten sick on a Cruise, but its good to be prepared. I heard if you have to go to sick bay, they charge you a arm or a leg.

Hey Icewolf, sure can relate to the cat thing. I have to keep the suitcases closed or they will be sleeping in them and getting cat hair all over everything !
The dogs are worse though, they look at us with those big brown eyes as if to say, "you're leaving us AGAIN! :( 5 more days!, but who's counting Right!

Renorita -
I agree about the dogs - we have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - and he's got the biggest brown eyes that say "PLEEEEASE DONT LEAVE ME" - he likes to travel, and usually goes with us, but on a cruiseship, there's no place to potty! We've got a sitter coming to visit him - they play ball and he gets lots of treats - I think he'll be just fine. Only 3 working days left for me!!!

Hee - our poor cat. We *just* adopted her last week (timing was unavoidable - she used to be owned by a friend who was moving out of the state), and now on Friday I'm going to have to turn her over to a friend to watch while we're gone for the trip. She's just barely getting to know us and feel comfortable with us and now she's going to be sooo confused... probably forget who we are while we're gone... :(

I did all my laundry last night, so tonight I start packing!

ElsieToo -
Good luck w/your packing - hope you are able to get it all in. I haven't added any shoes in recent days, so I'm doing good - my task for today is to figure out how much cash to take along.
Also, I read a tip that someone wrote about tipping the room steward half (half would be about $5/day for us) on a daily basis (to ensure good service) and the balance at the end of the trip. I was thinking of trying this. Does anyone want to share their opinion on this?

Ok, I really think it's time to get away from this computer and start packing now that my Thanksgiving festivities are over. It's just that I keep running into interesting information. When talking about whether it will be smooth sailing or not, I looked up this site that I've come across before. It shows the wave heights for the Pacific. Now keep in mind that this is today's conditions and I'm sure the seas will calm as we set sail. After all 6-9 feet seems very small in comparison to the size of the ship. Anyway, I thought it was kind of interesting. It's color coded for the various wave heights. The code bar is across the bottom of the page. I'd sure hate to be sailing in the "red" zone. Here's the link if you're interested (and now I really must start packing)! [url]http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=pacific+sea+conditions&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D61d3a03769b13fe3%26clickedItemRank%3D10%26userQuery%3Dpacific%2Bsea%2Bconditions%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.onlineweather.com%252Fv4%252Fdata%252FwaveForecasts.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPIndex2%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onlineweather.com%2Fv4%2Fdata%2FwaveForecasts.html[/url]

PC...up to ten pairs now and maybe more..I found a pair of slides on sale last week for a steal...could not resist.

BTW....Wor lad..starting packing today! Yeah! Now trying to eat all that stuff in the fridge before we leave. Not buying another food item...maybe shoes though...*S*

Him - done in 2 hours. Top layer of wheelie comprises ladies shoes.

Her - still shopping - came home today with more stuff.

Him - Rum and Coke time

Her - Any more room in your wheelie?

Him - Yes Dear.

Jevey,
Now I really feel bad. Wor Lad has beat me to the packing! Okay, now I really must get off this computer! Hmmm, I do like your plan of shopping right up to the last minute and filling his case with your things. That seems completely reasonable to me, but I don't think my husband will be quite as generous with his space.
ElsieToo, I believe they do serve turkey at one of the meals and they will probably time it to coincide with Thanksgiving.

Jevey: We are flying from Reno to S.F. Will get in around 7:45 Am so will have about a 2 1/2 hr. wait before boarding for S.D. Could have taken a later flight but would be cutting it too close. I love wine, but a vat of it during a puking binge! :eek: 4 more days, but who's counting! BTW how close are we to having 25 people if Elsie Too signs up her friends?

Hope you all have a wonderful voyage. Legend had some problems at Lahaina over the weekend because of the wind. I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk on the boards about this. They had to leave 700 passengers and crew at Lahaina overnight and sail out into deeper water. It was too windy to tender and the winds were so high the ship could have been in trouble if it stayed where it was anchored. RCCL paid for hotel rooms for everyone. They got back onboard the following morning. Hope thw winds die down soon. We're sailing on Infinity of the 5th to Hawaii.

Aloha! Hancock

Wow! Did they say how high the waves were during that?

When I went to Hawaii from Ensenada in April '03, the second day as we were getting ready to do the lifeboat drill (yes, it was the day after we left) we had waves of (if I remember correctly) about 20-25' and they had the little bags lining the stairwells. It was rocky, and my son said his tummy felt funny, but I wasn't bothered.

Jevey -
I may throw one more pair in myself. I have some cute red mules that will go w/all my daytime outfits. Glad to hear Wor Lad is done w/his packing!

Dege -
How was your Thanksgiving "event"? Hope all went well. Thanks (I think :)) for the wave map!

Hancock -
Thanks for the info on the trouble in Lahiana - I guess if things look rough, I'll be sure to take our necessary meds to shore w/us just in case we can't get back on the ship!

Here's an even better page for wave/swell information - Actually shows the California coastline and Hawaii.

[url="https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/mywxmap/chart.do?chartTypeId=chart28&requestId=1099953642931.2240.6"]https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/mywxmap/chart.do?chartTypeId=chart28&requestId=1099953642931.2240.6[/url]

[quote name='Renorita']BTW how close are we to having 25 people if Elsie Too signs up her friends?[/QUOTE]
I just signed my DH and my friends up today (what they don't know [yet] won't hurt them). Here's the message on the page:

As of [b]November 17, 2004[/b], [b]25[/b] guests have signed up for the Royal Caribbean Cruise Critic Community Meet & Mingle for the [b]Legend Of The Seas [/b]sailing on [b]11/21/2004[b] . [/b][/b]

[b]:D [/b]

Sounds like you will have a very intimate 'Meet & Mingle'. Looks like our 'Cruise Connection' party onboard Infinity will be a little more boisterous as we are over 200 strong!! Wish you well. Hope the winds die down for all of us!

Aloha! Hancock

[quote name='Renorita']:confused: To us novices, does having 25 people mean the ship will sponsor a meeting for us? And if so is the breakfast cancelled or is it still on?[/QUOTE]

Yep! Breakfast still on. This is separate from the M&M meeting. The breakfast was set up when it didn't look like we'd make the 25 magic number. As it is we may have qualified too late as it's still not showing on the 'confirmed' list

[quote name='Wor Lad']Yep! Breakfast still on. This is separate from the M&M meeting. The breakfast was set up when it didn't look like we'd make the 25 magic number. As it is we may have qualified too late as it's still not showing on the 'confirmed' list[/QUOTE]
Great! The breakfast will probably be more fun anyway ;) 2 more days, but who's counting! ME! :D

Archived