passport

pugaddict

How long does it take to get your passport once you send in the application? If applying now, will it arrive before August?

Most people are reporting getting them in 1 to 3 weeks.

According to the State Department's website, you don't need a passport until June of 2009. But, I would get one now anyway, just to be safe. When in June are you going?

Even after June 2009 you won't need a passport as long as you are cruising from and returning to the same U.S. port.

Bill

If something happens to you - serious/family illness, drug bust, etc - and you need to fly back to US from Bermuda, YOU NEED A PASSPORT.

P.S. drug-sniffing dogs are let loose on ships when they dock in Bermuda, so beware! About $1000 fine and missed return passage if caught.

P.P.S., I'm saying this to general public, not just you.

Most people are reporting getting them in 1 to 3 weeks.

Even after June 2009 you won't need a passport as long as you are cruising from and returning to the same U.S. port.

Bill

I think Bill means Cruises to Nowhere, right?

I think Bill means Cruises to Nowhere, right?

Nope. Any cruise that leaves and returns to the same U.S. port no matter how many days or ports visited don't need a passport even after 6/2009.

As mentioned above if you need to fly home for any reason in the middle of your cruise and have no passport it's going to cost you some $$$ and time before you'll be able to fly back.

Bill

Nope. Any cruise that leaves and returns to the same U.S. port no matter how many days or ports visited don't need a passport even after 6/2009.

As mentioned above if you need to fly home for any reason in the middle of your cruise and have no passport it's going to cost you some $$$ and time before you'll be able to fly back.

Bill

Well Alaskan cruises are tricky because some of the ports are in Canada and you will be leaving and entering the United States at a different port as where you left. Just get a passport, it makes your life so much easier. It is good for ten years.

The only caveat listed on the State Department's website is that no passport is required for "U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory." That means places like the U.S. Virgin Islands, etc. It does not specifically state that those leaving from and returning to the same U.S. port are exempt. I do believe it is not required for Cruises To Nowhere.

The only caveat listed on the State Department's website is that no passport is required for "U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory." That means places like the U.S. Virgin Islands, etc. It does not specifically state that those leaving from and returning to the same U.S. port are exempt. I do believe it is not required for Cruises To Nowhere.

This is from http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/sea_travel/whti_landsea_faq.ctt/whti_landsea_faq.pdf

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise.

Also found this interesting:

Does my birth certificate need to be a certified, original copy?

No, we will accept an, original, copy or certified copy of your birth certificate.

Bill

Archived