Booking Question From a Newbie

Julia Goolia

First, please forgive me for not searching the threads to see if this question has already been answered. My computer time here in Afghanistan is limited and I would like to get some answers quickly, if possible.

And...on to that question.

I am preparing to book my first cruise for when I return from Afghanistan next spring (May 31st, 2009 on the Legend.)

What is the best way to book? Private TA? On-line? Directly through Carnival?

Oh, also, I saw something in one of the reviews about booking as a group through cruise critic and getting a $100 obc, etc. However, I couldn't find any more about that. Can someone please explain how I go about doing that to me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Julia Goolia

Julia -

It really depends on how much time you have to research. Sounds to me your time is limited. That being the case, and since this would be your 1st cruise, I would work with a travel agent who can provide guidance, answer your questions, and assist you in all your arrangements including flights, transfers , etc.

Best of luck!!

lcpagejr,

Thank you. I can actually do a bit of research on different sites, etc. I just can't get on message boards at work. Guess they don't want us chatting away too much.

Anyway, we'll be driving in from SC so no need for flights, etc. However, if I do go about using a private TA, how do I find one that is good/reputable?

Again -- showing my newbie ignorance. You wouldn't know that I've traveled much of the world...just never on a ship.

Thanks again. Take care,

Julia

Didn't mean to break any rules.

No, I don't have any family in SC. I am stationed out of Ft. Jackson in Columbia so that is where I'll be returning when I leave here next spring.

Thanks again for all of the helpful advice and being patient with my "newness."

Take care,

Julia

Well if you have some time...you can search the various internet cruise sites and try to determine the cruiseline and itinerary you prefer...once that has been decided upon, you can again get prices from the same sites.

You can then deal with the internet cruise agency via email and phone. Some are true aggregators who cater to experienced cruisers who are just looking for best price. There are other sites which provide assistance and will gadly answer your questions. This can be determined by reviewing their website. Unfortunately we cannot post names of agencies on these boards but if you do a general search for cruises...you will come across a large listing of agencies.

I'd agree with either TA or Carnival PVP. If you are a AAA member, they have travel agents that you can use. If you're not, I'm not sure if non-members can use the AAA agency or not, but you could call and ask. With a large organization, you can feel that you can get a reliable agent.

You could also deal directly with a Carnival PVP. I don't know if you're able to call the states from where you are. You could book online, but I feel better dealing with an actual person.

As you are in Afghanistan, I assume that you are in the military. If so, don't forget to tell them that. The military discount is a definite benefit.

If you are going to go on carnival they have nice military discounts. Also if your going as a large group ask them about their all you can drink cards. Not just soda but they have them for Alcohol drinks too. Good luck to you!

She already picked

(May 31st, 2009 on the Legend.)

Now you just need to find an agent to book thru. Check out the rate on Carnivals web site. Than you can check On-line agents. Just rember when compairing Princes

1) Get the "out the door" price. All taxes and fees and the cost of the cabin.

2) Before booking make sure the Agency doesn't have a non refundable fee for canceling most do now.

3) Try to find a site that has individual Franchies than you can talk to a owner. That way your agent can quit or get fierd on you

I just looked at the site I search and it is showing a Military discount on the May 31 sailing on the Legend. You can book this thru Carnival and than if you find and Agent that can get you a better deal you can trasfer the booking to them at any time.

I always get better from TA's but don't know how to help her find one. I was reading on another thread were military could book the some military thing but, can't find it for you. Does it sould like something you have access to?

Just have to comment on your name- love it- just saw "The Wedding Singer" live- musical; The ending always makes me cry- LOL

Congratulations on booking your first cruise. Wish you the BEST, and thank you for serving our country, for the sacrifices you've made.

Please come back and tell us about your cruise.

Desiree

You should consider booking with the company, because you may have to change your booking.

Some online and local TA charge a fee to cancel or change a booking.

I have not any trouble changing a booking until the final payment is due.

Julia, first off, let me say thank you for your service to our country. Check with the Fort Jackson MWR on line. They may have a TA right on base that is familiar dealing with Soldiers in your situation that will work with you via email until you return.

Welcome to CC, and to your 1st cruise to look fwd to. Thank You for Doing what you do, for our country. DH is rtd USN..I for one will help answer your Q's,to which I can respond correctly to save u precious puter time. There are many who love to do this also. Each of us has a niche' that we fit into. Wont it be grand to wear a fussy dress, rather than BDU's!..lucky

What a great surprise to come back here and see so many responses. You all are fantastic. I certainly appreciate all of the advice.

Yes, I can call the US from my desk (just have to put up with the time difference) so I guess I will go that way. Thanks for the tips about the military discount. I'll certainly be asking about that.

I am in the miltary (Army) -- working on my 16th year. Thank you also for all of your comments and support for me and for the rest of our troops. It's been a great life for me and brought me more opportunities than I can even describe.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll be checking back here as often as I can (on other threads and boards) for all of the tips that I can get. I'll also be sure to come back next year and tell you all about the wonderful time we had.

Take care,

Julia Goolia (Glad so many of you like my name! :p )

I'd agree with either TA or Carnival PVP. If you are a AAA member, they have travel agents that you can use. If you're not, I'm not sure if non-members can use the AAA agency or not, but you could call and ask. With a large organization, you can feel that you can get a reliable agent.

You could also deal directly with a Carnival PVP. I don't know if you're able to call the states from where you are. You could book online, but I feel better dealing with an actual person.

As you are in Afghanistan, I assume that you are in the military. If so, don't forget to tell them that. The military discount is a definite benefit.

AAA would be the last people Id use, too many complaints, and naming them is against the guidelines here.

I woud book online with Carnival and then its easy to transfer to any TA later on before you hit final payment, if you find a special deal from a TA.

What a great surprise to come back here and see so many responses. You all are fantastic. I certainly appreciate all of the advice.

Yes, I can call the US from my desk (just have to put up with the time difference) so I guess I will go that way. Thanks for the tips about the military discount. I'll certainly be asking about that.

I am in the miltary (Army) -- working on my 16th year. Thank you also for all of your comments and support for me and for the rest of our troops. It's been a great life for me and brought me more opportunities than I can even describe.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll be checking back here as often as I can (on other threads and boards) for all of the tips that I can get. I'll also be sure to come back next year and tell you all about the wonderful time we had.

Take care,

Julia Goolia (Glad so many of you like my name! :p )

Hoping you have a "frabjious day", and get a kick out of most of the posts here.some drag it thru the mud, puddle after puddle..some a great laff..especially these days about the placement of the "great potato" placement..ie:in ones speedo, some sad. as the dissappearances, some revealing, and some down right doopid. But it makes it fun..and perks up my day.I'm up at 4 this a.m. , dunno why, dillards dosent open til 10, but have a gigante' coffee, choko,hot milky thingy steaming in fwont of me! We'll catch-up soon...lucky

Archived