Please post your planned or completed itinerary

judyf

I'm surprised that no one has posted their itinerary from this new 14 day voyage round trip from Vancouver. With this small ship, it opens up some very nice ports.

• Day 1 – Detroit to Vancouver – explore the city
  • Day 2 – Embarkation – Tahitian Princess
  • Day 3 – Cruising Inside Passage
  • Day 4 – Ketchikan – Self guided walk of city – Saxman Native Village
  • Day 5 – Cruising Glacier Bay
  • Day 6 – Skagway – Morning walk of city – Best of Skagway tour
  • Day 7 – Cruising the Gulf of Alaska
  • Day 8 – Valdez – Thompson Pass & Worthington Glacier – walk the town
  • Day 9 – Seward – Best of Seward – walk the town
  • Day 10 – Kodiak – Back Country Brewery and Wine tour – walk the town
  • Day 11 – Cruising the Gulf of Alaska
  • Day 12 – Juneau – Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest – walk the town
  • Day 13 – Sitka – Russian American & Raptor Center – walk the town
  • Day 14 – Cruising the Inside Passage
  • Day 15 – Victoria, BC – Burchart Gardens – walk the town
  • Day 16 – Vancouver to Detroit

This is a great thread- we plan an independent tour before our cruise.

Would apprecaiate any ideas for some hotels and if anyone is interested in sharing cab from Seward to Whittier 9/6.

Tried to start a Roll-call x2 with no responses. Probably because this is such a great site.

Thanks to all, Dick & El:)

Sat.8/30/08- Boston to Fairbanks – Pikes Hotel

8/31 -Fairbanks --Riverboat-Pikes

9/1 -Fairbanks to Denali via Train 8-12n; Cabin Nite Dinner Show 530

Hotel-Denali Princess

9/2 -830amDenali Shuttle to Wonder lake

9/3 -Denali to Anchorage by Train 1240-8pm Gold Star; ?? hotel

9/4 -Anchorage- Native Heritage Center; Ulu Factory knife

9/5 - Anchorage to Seward via train 645-1105am;

Kenai Fjord Cruise 1130-530

Hotel- Holiday Inn Express?

9/6 Seward- to Exit Glacier in am

To Whittier via Cab if can ride share

Board Diamond Princess by 4pm

9/7 -College Fjord

9/8 -Glacier Bay

9/9-Skagway – walking tour, Skagway Fish Company, Skagway Outlet Store

9/10Juneau - shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier; Tlingit dancers at the tramway

9/11-Ketchikan- cable car climb up Captain's Hill, Totem Heritage Centre and the

Salmon Hatchery

9/12 at sea

9/13 Disembark Vancouver – tour Park- Blue Horizon Hotel

9/14 to Seattle in AM via train/bus-- ?? Hotel

Space Needle and monorail, Pike’s Market

9/15 Fly Home 10pm

Tuesday 9/16/08 Home

• Administrators

I'm still tweaking a bit, as we don't leave for another 27 days (whee!! only 27 more days!), so I'd hesitated, but we are really close to final on everything, so here goes! (and as I say that, I realize that plans have changed on one Ketchikan day four times, the other one three times, Haines three times.... but still, at least as of now, this is what we're doing!)

Friday, 5/30 -- Fly from Atlanta to Seattle, stay at Pricelined hotel near airport.

Saturday -- Already There town car service from hotel to Amtrak station in Seattle. Take Amtrak (AAA discount) to Vancouver. Pick up rental car, check into hotel (Pacific Palisades, also booked through Priceline). Take car to visit Capilano Suspension Bridge (Entertainment Book 2-for-1 coupon) and Grouse Mountain.

Sunday -- Drive through Stanley Park in rental car (a few Entertainment book coupons may apply). Return rental car to Hertz and board ship.

Monday -- at sea

Tuesday -- Ketchikan -- Bering Sea Crab Fishing excursion and Great Alaskan Lumberjack show.

Wednesday -- Juneau -- Adventure Bound trip to Tracy Arm Fjord and (hopefully) Sawyer Glacier

Thursday -- Skagway -- Chilkoot Charters Yukon Rail/Bus tour; ship-sponsored tour to Liarsville and salmon bake

Friday -- Glacier Bay

Saturday -- College Fjord

Sunday -- Seward (turnaround day on b2b) -- Kenai Fjords Northwestern Fjords tour (2 for 1 coupon from Northern Lights)

Monday -- College Fjord

Tuesday -- Glacier Bay

Wednesday -- Haines -- Rental car to drive Haines Highway part way; Alaskan Wildlife Expedition tour via ship

Thursday -- Juneau -- Orca Enterprises whalewatch; visit Mendenhall Glacier

Friday -- Ketchikan -- Classic Tours (with Lois Munch in her '55 Chevy -- fun to see at least three of us on this thread doing that!)

Saturday -- at sea

Sunday -- return to Vancouver; ship transfer back to SeaTac; pick up rental car there and check into Pricelined hotel nearby, then visit Seattle Pioneer Square/Underground for afternoon and evening

Monday -- Fly home

The best advice I can give everyone is to take the Bus in Denali to Wonder lake if at all possible. The Nat History tours only goes to the 15 mile marker which you can do in your own car. We made the Creek since WL wasn't available early June. More wildlife is apt to be seen as you go back into the park.. Alll drivers are guides and are very knowledgable so just the green buses into the park are like "tours". Bring your lunch, snacks and drinks as well as layered clothing. It may get hot and cold..lol. The dog kennels are fun and you can view them the day before if you arrive early enough. The bar overlooking the town and hotels is fun too. Denali was out for us all day as the day before. 2 out of 3 isn't too bad...

We went salmon fishing on the Kenai Pennisula, Glaceir trekking at Seward, bears all over and great guide by the National Parks service free, Mendenhall glacier at Juneau I could spend the day on a picnic, Icy Strait(Flounder Pizza, dont miss it) was beautiful and whale watch was on the tender but good place to see the eagles/whales, Ketchican, the planes to the park you must do. Its awesome landing back there, oh more eagles at the cannery there, like buzzards. Skagway, tourist trap of a bit, train was nice probably do a self rental car next time there. Do it all you might not get back and it's all great! Thanks Mr Seward for your folly! Not sure what to say about the current political folly up there now. lolol....

6/27 on the Millenium

6/28 at sea

6/29 Ketchikan - nothing concrete yet. Might do the Saxman Village tour.

6/30 Juneau - Icefield Excursion Coastal Helicopters.

7/1 Skagway - Chilkoot 7 hour train/bus tour.

7/2 Icy Strait Point - halibut fishing with Ora of Alaskan Raven Charters.

7/3 Hubbard Glacier

7/4 disembard and fly home.

We live on the east coast and have gone on whale watching tours here. I can't decide if we should go while in Alaska too.

Day 1 : Delta from Ft. Meyers-Anchorage, arrive 5:30pm,pickup Enterprise minivan,$305.00 for 5 days,great price. Stay Super 8,1 night

Day 2: Drive Seward,stop at sights along way.

Stay Holiday Inn 3 nights.

Day 3, do 9 1/2 hr Kenai Fiord Tour, use 2 for 1 coupon

Day 4, Halibut fishing if weather not bad, did not make reservations yet.

Day 5, do Exit Glacier,head back to Anchorage, stopping at Girwood

Day 6 See Ancorage ,stay 2 night Anchorage Grand and see sights we decide to do, rest period.

Day 7 Leave Ancorage by rail to Whittier,take PWS 4 1/2 hr tour using buy 1 get 1, then board Princess Diamond.

Day 8 ,College Fiord 6am-9am

Day 9 Glacier Bay

Day 10 Skagway-car rental to Emerald Lake

Day 11-Juneau Harv and Marv

Day 12 Ketchican Misty Fiord with Island Wings

Day 14 Vancouver stay at TimesSquare 2 nights will soon figure it out

Day 16 Home to Florida

Fri, 06/13 - arrive in Seattle by noon: spend day sightseeing

Sat, 06/14 - leave Seattle at 4 pm: activities TBD

Sun, 06/15 - day at sea: activities TBD

Mon, 06/16 - Ketchikan: haven't booked anything yet, any suggestions?

Tue, 06/17 - Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter & Dogsledding Tour

Wed, 06/18 - Skagway: White Pass RR up & picked up by Dyea Dave for drive back down

Thur, 06/19 - Prince Rupert: haven't booked anything yet, any suggestions?

Fri, 06/20 - day at sea: activities TBD

Sat, 06/21 - arrive in Seattle 8:00 am, catch plan to go home :(

July 9 Fly from Ontario, CA. (near LA) to VANCOUVER

Arrive about 1:00 pm. :confused:

July 10 Embark on the Tahitian Princess for 14 days at sea

July 11 Inside Passage

July 12 KETCHIKAN

Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary

July 13 GLACIER BAY

Scenic Cruising

July 14 SKAGWAY

Yukon Expedition and White Pass Railway

July 15 Gulf of Alaska

July 16 VALDEZ

Thompson Pass/Worthington Glacier

July 17 SEWARD

Alaska Sealife Center

July 18 KODIAK:confused:

July 19 Gulf of Alaska

July 20 JUNEAU

Dog Sled Summer Camp

July 21 SITKA

Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest

July 22 Inside Passage

July 23 VICTORIA:confused:

July 24 Disembark in VANCOUVER

US Direct to Airport and fly home to Claremont, CA

Would love any advice or suggestions as we're new to both Alaska and cruising.

July 9 Fly from Ontario, CA. (near LA) to VANCOUVER

July 17 SEWARD

Alaska Sealife Center

Would love any advice or suggestions as we're new to both Alaska and cruising.

I have yet to go to Alaska, but have been doing a lot of research for our trip in June. I would think you could plan more for your day in Seward. The Kenai Fjords Boat tours come highly recommended if that would interest you. Apparently you see lots of wildlife and some glacier viewing. Just make sure you do not go on the tours that stay in Resurrection Bay. It has been said that you do not see much on that tour. If the Kenai Fjords tours are not of interest, you can take a shuttle to Exit Glacier and still have time for the Sealife Center. There are guided Ranger tours at Exit Glacier. I believe they are at 10:00 am. and 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. At the Sealife center there are add -on tours for an additional cost, that have been highly recommended on this board. It is suggested you make reservations for those. You can also rent bikes and take a scenic ride around Seward. You can rent kayaks at Miller's Landing. The library also has some films they show at 2:00 p.m. Lots to do in Seward!!! We can't wait to be there!!

How was the behind the scenes tour. I'm really tempted!

I have not yet gone, but if you search this forum, you will find some posts that say it is a very good tour. We have reserved ourselves a spot for it. The Puffin Encounter also gets good reviews, but we felt that was a bit pricey.

August 19th - Fly from Indianapolis to Seattle. Drop bags at Seattle Sheraton then do Pikes Market and take evening boat over to Bremerton and back.August 20th - Underground Tour and Hop on Hop off Bus tour of city of Seattle. Or maybe the Ducks Tour. August 21st - Take Cascades Train from Seattle to Vancouver in the early morning. Drop off bags at Pacific Palisades then head out for tour of the town. Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mtn. August 22nd - Hop on Hop off tour bus of Vancouver. August 23rd - Cruise leaves at 4:30. woo hoo!!!August 24th - Out to sea. Stay up on deck looking at beautiful scenery as it goes by.August 25th - Ketchikan Not sure yet (open to suggestions)August 26th - Juneau - Adventure BoundAugust 27th - Renting car from Avis by 8:00 Am and driving ourselves to Emerald Lake. Get back around 3:00 and head over to our glacier walk/ helicopter ride with Temsco. (can't wait for this)August 28th - Glacier Bay (Spend whole day on deck)August 29th -College Fjords (Spend entire time on deck watching the sceneryAugust 30th - Debark in Whittier. Take PJ's Taxi from Whittier to Seward. Jump on 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour. Spend night in Seward at Holiday Inn. August 31 - Sightsee around Seward. Perhaps Exit Glacier then take evening train to Anchorage. September 1- Pick up rental car and head north to Denali. Stop and see things all along the way.Septermber 2 - Take Shuttle Bus to Wonder LakeSepember 3 - Head back to Anchorage. Stop in Talkeetna and maybe do river rafting. Spend night in Anchorage.September 4. Early morning flight home to Indianpolis

Golden Princess in June...

Fri

Fly from San Diego to Seattle

Explore the city, Pike Market

Sat

Board Golden Princess

Sun At Sea

Mon

Juneau, Alaska

Taku Glacier flight & Feast through ship tour

Tue

Skagway, Alaska

half of group: Whitepass train to Laughton Glacier stop, self hike

other half of group: 4 hr Salmon fishing

Wed

At Sea, Cruise Tracy Arm

Thu

Ketchikan, Alaska

Charter Halibut fishing boat

Fri

Victoria, British Columbia

Visit local pubs & waterfront

Sat

Seattle, Washington

Fly home

June 15, 2008- Leave SFO at 7:15 AM for Vancouver, BC. Board HAL's Volendam for 14 day cruise.

THAT'S IT SO FAR! I need to get to work (obviously) and plan our trip. I got side tracked (easily done) planning another trip to Las Vegas. Sad thing is I know what shows we want to see in Las Vegas and it's not even till August! I need an intervention to keep off of the Las Vegas boards:eek:

Thanks for starting this thread and those who have replied. I will get to planning tomorrow!

Cheryl

Friday-Fly to VanCouver, visit the http://www.capbridge.com

Stay at Westin Bayshore Vancouver http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1080

Saturday-Tour Stanely Park and

Board Diamond Princess, Cat. II Sunday - Saturday Cruise Inside Passage, Jueanu, Skagway, Ketchikan as Ports

Saturday after cruising--Drive to Seward, stay at Windsong Lodge http://www.sewardwindsong.com, visit Portage Glacier, with other scenic stops as we drive

Sunday--Sealife center, possible Kenai Tour http://www.kenaifjords.com/599.cfm,

Monday--, drive to Girdwood, stops at Beluga Point, Alaska Wildlife center, Chugach State Park, spend night at Alyeska Resort, take Tram up moutain, eat at Seven Glaciers

http://www.alyeskaresort.com

Tuesday--Drive to Denali, stop at Potter's Marsh and Talkeetna

Stay at Denali Lakeview Inn 2 nights

http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com

Wednesday--Tour Denali Park (8 hour trip)

http://www.nps.gov/archive/dena/home/visitorinfo/bus/bustour.html

Thursday--Drive to Anchorage havent decided what to see, we fly back to DFW at 10:00 pm.

Hi,

Everyone seems to be doing lots of interesting things. The people on this board have certainly been helpful and informative! Thanks. Here's what we are planning to do on our cruise-our first to Alaska.

Thursday: Fly to Anchorage-check in at Comfort Inn Ship Creek-dinner at BrewHouse

Friday: Train to Seward-Kenai Fjords Tour with Alaska Heritage-board Radiance

Saturday: at sea

Sunday: Juneau... Coastal Helicopters icefield excursion-hiking at Mendenhall-lunch at the Wharf or Twisted Fish Company-Mt. Roberts tram and hiking at the top

Monday: Skagway...Glacier Point Wilderness Safari-either Sweet Tooth Cafe or Glacial Smoothies for lunch-Days of '98 Show-White Pass Railway

Tuesday: Icy Strait Point... whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S.-lunch at The Office Bar-ZipRider

Wednesday: Ketchikan... Misty Fjord with Island Wings-lunch at the Crab Cracker-Totem Bight State Park-walk Creek Street and surroundings

Thursday: at sea

Friday: Disembark, fly back home to recover and see our dogs!

June 15, 2008- Leave SFO at 7:15 AM for Vancouver, BC. Board HAL's Volendam for 14 day cruise.

THAT'S IT SO FAR! I need to get to work (obviously) and plan our trip. I got side tracked (easily done) planning another trip to Las Vegas. Sad thing is I know what shows we want to see in Las Vegas and it's not even till August! I need an intervention to keep off of the Las Vegas boards:eek:

Thanks for starting this thread and those who have replied. I will get to planning tomorrow!

Cheryl

CHERYL - stay OFF the Las Vegas boards today, and concentrate on Alaska!! :D Look over the excursions on HAL's web site and choose 1 thing in each port. The advantage of doing a back-to-back cruise is that you have several repeated ports, as well as 2 glacier days in each direction.

Here is the itinerary my mom and I did last July on the HAL Statendam. You can read an in-depth review of this itinerary here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=605834

Sunday: Vancouver and departure day.

Monday: Sea Day: Inside Passage.

Tuesday: Ketchikan: Anan Bear Observatory.

Wednesday: Juneau: Glaciers and Whales

Herbert Glacier with Coastal Helicopters.

Mt Roberts Tram.

Whale Watching with Harv and Marv.

Thursday: Skagway: Drive to the Yukon.

Friday: Glacier Bay.

Saturday: College Fjord.

Sunday: Seward: Alaska Sea Life Center, Alaska Saltwater Lodge.

Monday: Kenai Fjords.

Tuesday: Drive to Anchorage and flight home.

this is our itinerary for June 7 cruise on Oosterdam (this is 2nd cruise to Alaska - family/ my 3rd cruise)

June 6 fly Virgin America SFO to SEA stay overnight at Doubletree SEA/TAC on a pre cruise package includes transportation to pier 20

June 7 - 10am pickup Bus to Dock - Board Oosterdam

June 8 - CC party 11am - Spa - Bingo - Formal night

June 9 - Juneau - pick up Rent a Wreck Van for driving all of 50 miles of roads seeing Mendenhall Glacier, Salmon Hatchery, Eagle Beach - take Mt. Roberts Tram - Dinner in Juneau

June 10 - Hubbard Glacier - Spa - Bingo

June 11 - Sitka - Salmon Fishing - Visit Raptor Center - Sightsee downtown

June 12 - Ketchikan - Zip Line tour for part of family - Trolley tour for rest walk Creek Street

June 13 - Victoria - pick up Discount Rent a Car (Van) go to Butchard Gardens and Empress Hotel - dinner in Victoria (English Pub)

June 14 - Seattle - pick up Thrifty Rent a car (Van) sight see downtown Seattle - Pikes Place, Pioneer Square - Stay at SpringHill Suites - go to Mariner Game evening - Lunch at CheeseCake Factory - dinner at game

June 15 - Seattle - Sightseeing -

June 16 - fly back to SFO

Sorry about that. My computer has been having a mind of it's own.

June 30 Leave DFW at 3:30pm Arrive Anchorage at 11:30pm

Stay at Homewood Suites

July 1 Pick up rental car from Thrifty

Drive north to Denali seeing the sites (still planning)

Stay at Alaska Spruce Cabins in Healy

July 2 6:30am Shuttle Bus to Eielson Visitor Center

Explore entrance to Park

Stay at Alaska Spruce Cabins in Healy

July 3 Drive back to Anchorage (still planning)

Do some laundry (this will NOT be fun)

Stay at Homewood Suites

July 4 Drive to Whittier Major Marine Prince William Sound Tour

(still planning)

Turn in rental car

Stay at Homewood Suites

July 5 Train from Anchorage to Seward

Kenai Fords tour with Major Marine 8 hours

Stay at Van Gilder Hotel

July 6 Sealife Center and (?) Exit Glacier

Board Volendam Sail away at 8pm

July 7 College Fjord 6am-9pm

July 8 Glacier Bay 10am - 7pm

July 9 Haines 6:30am - 9pm

Rental car from Avis pick up at Halsirgland Hotel

See the sites in town and then drive the Haines Hwy

(not sure how far we will go - still researching)

July 10 Juneau 8am - 6pm

Mendenhall Glacier on the Blue Bus Express

Mt. Roberts Tram (if weather corperates this year)

Walk around town

July 11 Ketchikan 2pm - 8pm

Walking town of town

(still planning (?) Totem Bight or Saxman Village Tour)

July 12 At sea

July 13 Disembark 7am

(still planning (?) Stanley Park or Granville Island)

11pm flight back to DFW

July 14 Arrive at DFW 8:30am

July 15 Start planning the next cruise to Alaska!!!!

May 30 - Fly Tampa to Seattle. (Saved enough on airfare RT TPA to SEA vs YVR to allow traveling day before and after cruise + hotels + transfers for only a little more expense than flying directly to YVR same day as cruise.)

May 30 - Gray Line transfer Seatac to Seattle Sheraton. (Considered taking QuickShuttle to Vancouver same day, but schedule doesn't work. Would have to wait nearly 3 hours for 4:00 pm bus and arrive in Vancouver in the evening. Staying overnight in Seattle breaks up the long travel day much better.)

May 31 - Amtrak Cascade to Vancouver

May 31 - Vancouver: Taxi to Ballantyne Pier, board ship

June 1 - Sea day

June 2 - Icy Strait Point: RCCL ATV tour + Zip Ride combo

June 3 - Hubbard Glacier

June 4 - Skagway: Chilcoot Charters package van tour to Carcross, YT + Emerald Lake; return via White Pass & Yukon RR to Skagway

June 5 - Juneau: Orca Enterprises package whale watching + Coastal Helicopters glacier tour

June 6 - Sea day

June 7 - Vancouver: debark, QuickShuttle to Seatac

June 7 - Overnight at Doubletree Seatac

June 8 - Early am flight home

Our trip is less action packed than some but we will have the chance to visit some of our favorite places in Seattle and have lots of fun in Alaska.

Westerdam May 25

May 23- 24th Drive to Seattle, stay with family

May 25- Breakfast at Pike Place Market, visit Seattle Aquarium, arrive at ship about noon

May 26 - Sea day

May 27- Glacier Bay

May 28- Juneau - Our older family members will take the Mendenhall Glacier and Glacier Gardens ship tour, the rest of us will hike around the Mendhenhall Glacier and visit the state museum.

May 29- Sitka- 3 hour trip with Captain Davey for 6 of us. Then some of us will explore tidepools at the national park at low tide. One person not going on the boat trip may do the ship's Russian Culture tour.

May 30- Ketchikan- public bus to/from Totem Bight State Park, walk around town if time permits

May 31- Victoria- shuttle bus to Inner Harbor, walk around downtown and Chinatown (some of us).

June 1 - Seattle- Experience Music Project, visit the fountain at the Seattle Center and then head home.

Cheryl

This is too funny, just the opposite....we are going to Vegas mid July for my son's 21st birthday and I have nothing figured out for that except flights and lodging. Our 2 week Alaska cruise/land tour in Aug 09, I have almost totally planned out. LOL I need intervention to stay off of the CC Alaska boards.;) My son would appreciate it at least (of course he is going to Alaska too)

Cheryl

I can't believe you don't have Alaska planned already. You better get moving.:D

I'm not even booked yet for May 09 and I can't keep off the Alaska board. I have a Disney, FL trip planned for this Christmas and I can't keep off the cruise boards long enough to get on the Disney boards. :D