Noordam - Southern Caribbean January 09

i am canadian

Hi all!

We returned from our first ever HAL cruise in January 2008. Now we cannot wait to go again! We are looking at the Noordam Southern Caribbean January 2009. It is a little pricey (we do love the balcony) compared to the Eastern Caribbean that we did this year.

I am contemplating switching to Princess, just for this cruise just because of the price is almost $1000 less. Can someone please convince me not to?

We have only been on 2 cruises; Carnival and HAL-Westerdam. We did not like Carnival, loved everything about HAL. What is the comparision like between the Emerald Princess and the Noordam (if anyone knows)?

We are 33, going without our 3 year old. Very active, not drinkers or gamblers.

Thanks for your help!

Sarah

Sarah, I'm puzzled about pricing.

After a quick internet check, I found a price of around $1,560 US pp on a category VD balcony on Noordam January 3 or 13 (VF's start at $1,400)....and $1,650 on oceanview double BF-BA for Emerald Princess on January 9 for the Southern Caribbean itinerary (even higher for January 29).

I double checked directly with HAL, where the prices are about the same - around $75 pp more.

So, to me it looks like Noordam is cheaper. Is it possible prices have changed since you got your first quote?

Or, are you getting quotes priced in Canadian dollars? HAL's C$ prices became ridiculous when the loonie reached par. Canadians are NOT obligated to book in C$. Any travel agent, or HAL itself should let you book in US$, irregardless of Canadian residency.

Hope a quick price check makes the decision easy :D

I think the pricing is due to the airfare. I included this in my overall calculation. Takes ages and lots of coin to head down to Florida! Yes, we will be paying in US dollars too.

Enough said, we are not switching from HAL. I did some more research and talked to my hubby and he too was so happy with HAL that we are hooked.

Booked the Noordam for Southern Caribbean January 3 2009. VD cabin too. I can't wait!

Thanks for your help!

Sarah

I am Canadian too!(from Mississauga).

Last November we did the Grand Princess so we had something to compare HAL to. It probably would have been a much better cruise if we hadn't sailed HAL first. Not that it was bad, Princess just didn't seem to do a lot of the extras that HAL does.

One of the reason we picked the Princess cruise was because I wanted to go to Ocho Rios. Another was the price. And yet another was that I thought my teenage son would enjoy so called "more to do" on Princess.

It is true that you get what you pay for. We had to get a minisuite on Princess to match size with the verandah cabin we had on the Oosterdam. My son did say that he though HAL was the better cruise line....not just because of activities but because of food.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I noticed you posted your age of 30. I haven't seen a lot of "younger" opinions. I've read a lot about HAL missing in the activities arena, so now I'm a little nervous. But DH and I do like the finer things in life. Look forward to dressing up, and certainly value good service and quality.

So I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on what to do on HAL!!

Thanks so much - R

Archived