Worried but don't want to tell Mom and Dad!

MiamiNicole

We are going on the Caribbean Princess for New Years, I know we will all have a blast (my sis, her BF, me, my BF (all in 20's), and our parents (50's).

We usually travel Celebrity, but my parents had a great experience on Princess a year back and so we switched this year (my first on Princess). I have heard some real negatives about the food (except for the desserts, but i don't like sweets!).

I have seen the menus, they don't look bad, but I am just hoping we aren't disappointed with the dinner experience, we also got stuck with anytime. I know this shouldn't be such a big deal, but this is the time of the cruise all of us are together, so we want it to be special. How was your "foodie" experience on Princess compared to Celebrity?? We are not that picky, but like good seafood dishes (salmon, sea bass) and the boys love a good steak. I know the buffet always stinks (we stick to a club sandwich from room service). How were the appetizers, soups?

Thanks for the advise

Hey, I got married on the Grand Princess about 4 years ago and turned around and sailed her again about 2 years ago. Both times it was great. Food was really good and we had no complaints. We have been on 2 Holland America cruises and we are going on Granduer of the Seas in December. I am sure you will have a great experience. If something comes out of the kitchen that is not to your liking ...send it back :) Actually, the buffet was pretty good, and the room service was great. I use room service a lot. If you have a suite sometimes they will have room service deliver dinner from the main dining room to you. (Read your room service guide very carefully. you will be amazed at what they sometimes offer.) That was great. Lobster on your balcony. And there was not additional cost.Doesn't get much better than that. That was on Holland America. Well, have fun!!!

Food on Princess is less than great. Very much like the food on RCL, which is large amounts of low quality food. Celebrity's food is head and shoulders above what you will experience on Princess. HAL probably has the second best cuisine. If food quality is a real deal breaker, you might be a bit disappointed, however, I've never met a cruise I didn't like!;)

Lower your expectations, and have a great time!

Kel

If this is their first they will be as impressed with everything as you were on your first. We have also been on the 3 lines you spoke of and Celb is also our favorite. There were things about Princess we liked better than RCI, and visa versa. You have been on enought to understand that if there is something not liked, just switch it out. We really liked some of the way things were presented on Princess.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I love the food on Princess, lots of choices at dinner, the pizza bar is great, anytime dining is fine too, you can still go to any of the great restaraunts you just don't have to be there at an exact time every day. Great reduction sauces and the soups are good too. You can always ask the waiter what he or she suggests and they never steer you wrong.

My husband did some research on the food quality of the other ships as well and found out Carnival has a food cost of about $7. per passenger and most of there food is previously frozen, where Princess' food cost is $22. per passenger and all there food is fresh not frozen. So hope this helps you.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on both cruise lines and have found Princess to have more selections. X has great food but I like Princess selections better. If you order something and you don't like it order something else. Son found he could have a baked potatoe every night and two entres. If you like hamburgers at every meal. Tell them and you will get it.

Archived