Good beach day at what port?

I was just wondering if any of these ports on our upcoming cruise in Sept. would be good for a beach day. We stop at Villefranche, Livorno, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini, and Naples. It will be the middle of Sept. (we leave on the 14th) so not sure if the weather will be warm enough and water temps warm enough anyways. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

I was just wondering if any of these ports on our upcoming cruise in Sept. would be good for a beach day. We stop at Villefranche, Livorno, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini, and Naples. It will be the middle of Sept. (we leave on the 14th) so not sure if the weather will be warm enough and water temps warm enough anyways. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

You should be able to have a beach day on Mykonos with no problem..it should be plenty warm.Villefranche may be anothe rpoosible as well,but your other ports are more industrial except for Santoini and that again would be another possible re the weather.Livorono is port for Florence,Naples for Amalfi or Pompeii,and Athens to explore the city if you wanted.

In Livorno absolutely do the Cinque Terre tour offered by the ship.

As for beaches- can't go wrong in Mykonos or Santorini. Don't know how far you would have to drive to a beach in Athens but I am sure there are nice ones.

Any certain beaches that are really nice in Mykonos or Santorini?

Have a look at this website:

http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/mykonos/mykonos-beaches.htm

I've been to Platis Gialos on our last two E Med cruises, and we had a really relaxing time there. The other beaches on the south coast are also said to be good, perhaps a little more lively - beach music, etc.

Here's some pictures my wife took on Mykonos in 2006:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2702

Have a look at this website:

http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/mykonos/mykonos-beaches.htm

I've been to Platis Gialos on our last two E Med cruises, and we had a really relaxing time there. The other beaches on the south coast are also said to be good, perhaps a little more lively - beach music, etc.

Here's some pictures my wife took on Mykonos in 2006:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2702

Wow - thanks for the link. What a great website. Were there (clean) restrooms at the beach you went to? Do you have to pay to use the chairs/umbrellas? And, how did you get there?

Unfortunately I could not access your photo page. Bummer!

Thanks again!

Wow - thanks for the link. What a great website. Were there (clean) restrooms at the beach you went to? Do you have to pay to use the chairs/umbrellas? And, how did you get there?

Unfortunately I could not access your photo page. Bummer!

Charges & Restrooms: At the back of the beach there a line of restaurants / hotels, etc. Each of these 'owns' the loungers / sunshades directly in front of it, down to the sea, and there is a charge. However, if you then have a meal in the restaurant you will get the cost of the lounger, etc, taken off the bill for the meal. So it's a device to make sure they keep your business. Last time we were there we went onto the beach in the morning for a couple of hours, then had a lunch in the relevant restaurant, and did indeed get the €8 or €10 we'd paid for the loungers, etc, taken off the lunch bill.

The restaurants do have restrooms in them and once you've settled yourself in your lounger & paid, there's no problem using the restroom. You can also use it to change into swimwear, of course.

I think you'll find the photo site is working now.

And, how did you get there?

Bus from the big bus stop area at the southern end of Mykonos town. There's a bus every half-hour or so, and it's about €1.20 to travel. They can get crowded, however.

Thanks for the valuable information! I enjoyed your photos - makes me want to be there now!

Are there cabs availiable at the port as we disembark? How long of a ride to the beach from the port area?

Do most speak English in this area?

Thank you so much!

Are there cabs availiable at the port as we disembark? How long of a ride to the beach from the port area?

Do most speak English in this area?

Very few taxis, often long waits. The buses are the best way to go.

English is widely spoken, especially in the bars & restaurants. In fact, I've encountered Brits working in the bars....

Very few taxis, often long waits. The buses are the best way to go.

English is widely spoken, especially in the bars & restaurants. In fact, I've encountered Brits working in the bars....

Is it easy to get a bus from the port? Is the bus system easy to understand as far as getting on the right bus? Thank you so much - your information is helping me plan our day there!

In Livorno absolutely do the Cinque Terre tour offered by the ship.

As for beaches- can't go wrong in Mykonos or Santorini. Don't know how far you would have to drive to a beach in Athens but I am sure there are nice ones.

Livorno is a long ride to Cinque Terre. You need Portovenere a proper stop not used by large ships. ( thank god ) :rolleyes:

can only tell you that Santorini has a great beach, black sand beach that we accessed by bus--easy access.

also, in naples, consider going to capri for the day-you will love it there

Archived