baggage allowance

Hi , just wondering if anyone can help me with the baggage allowances on our flights.We are flying to sydney with virgin and back with qantas. What i was wondering was we were thinking of having one suitcase each (my husband and i) and then maybe just like a sports bag for our shoes and toiletries between us. I looked on qantas and it says one bag each only but just thought i would see if anyone else has bought more than one each for economy class on either of these airline carriers? cheers sassycatz

Hi , just wondering if anyone can help me with the baggage allowances on our flights.We are flying to sydney with virgin and back with qantas. What i was wondering was we were thinking of having one suitcase each (my husband and i) and then maybe just like a sports bag for our shoes and toiletries between us. I looked on qantas and it says one bag each only but just thought i would see if anyone else has bought more than one each for economy class on either of these airline carriers? cheers sassycatz

Hi sassycat

we flew Qantas Brisbane to Sydney... we had a suitcase each and a small sports bag each for our shoes... As we are allowed 32 kgs each and we come to about 20 kg each all up, no problem. I think Virgin is 25 kg.

cheers

Virgin was 20kg last time I flew with them. Mine weighed around 30kg but they didn't charge excess :). We had one case each. We also checked in some cabins bags because they had dangerous contents that were not allowed on the plane!!! Yep, nail clippers etc are a real danger! We took the laptop bag and camera bags onboard. I think they allow 7kg cabin luggage.

I'm not sure about Qantas. I think I read somewhere the baggage handlers are refusing to handle any bag that weights more than 20kg. You might want to check if that's true.

I'm flying with Air New Zealand. Does anyone know how serious they are about charging for excess weight on international flights? They charge $10 for every kg over 20kg. I might have to leave the kitchen sink at home if this is true. :(

Virgin's allowance is 20kg per person, and if there's two of you they'll average it out over both passengers. So if you have one bag at 25kg and one at 15 kg you''ll be ok. Also, if you check in earlier you'll have a good chance of not being charged for excess baggage.

Not sure about Qantas, don't fly them regularly.

Also remember that no one bag can be more than 32kg.

We have returned today from 14 days on the Pacific Sun. We flew to Sydney, some of the group on Virgin and one on Qantas (reasons irrelevant to this discussion). Baggage limit on Virgin was stated to be 20kg but one bag belonging to our group of 6 weighed 23kg and there was no comment. Others were under-weight. Qantas limit is 32kg, and (as already stated) the Qantas baggage handlers are trying to get this reduced to 20kg. So far the limit remains 32kg, but that is an awful lot of 'stuff'.

Hand luggage is supposed to be limited to 7kg and to size limitations also. On our many recent flights no hand luggage has been weighed. :)

I know this is a bit off topic, but 20kg limit (if introduced) is mad. Our hard sided cases weigh 6kg empty.

I can not see the travelling public supporting an airline that brings this rule in.

Steve

I dont think 32 kilo is an awful lot of stuff. Just little old me always manages to go over that but because I fly to a regional area they really dont worry. If it is too heavy and the plane is full they will put it on the next flight that doesnt have too many passengers. I could easily bring back a whole lot more but i try and restrain myself:confused: :D

do not fly jetstar!!!! after my recent cruise on the pac dawn... going down my luggage was 23 kilos on virgin they let it thru no hassles... my friends was heavier (26kg) and another friends was 19kg. coming home (must be all those souveniers) mine was 29kilos my friends was 32kilos and my other friend was 24kilos...total excess bagage charge was $200!!!! (mine was $70) I wasnt happy...more with myself for buying too much (and also that I was told..I paid a cheap flight so shouldnt complain).

do not fly jetstar!!!! after my recent cruise on the pac dawn... going down my luggage was 23 kilos on virgin they let it thru no hassles... my friends was heavier (26kg) and another friends was 19kg. coming home (must be all those souveniers) mine was 29kilos my friends was 32kilos and my other friend was 24kilos...total excess bagage charge was $200!!!! (mine was $70) I wasnt happy...more with myself for buying too much (and also that I was told..I paid a cheap flight so shouldnt complain).

Also, be wary of some of the Deathstar promo fares. There is a current promotional fare that only allows you to take carry on luggage.

Thanks for that everyone , i hope they dont mind if we have 2 bags each as long as they come under the weight. sassycatz

I've checked in two bags on VB in the past without a problem. Even checked in a case and a box containing a TV once. Total weight under 20kgs so no problem.

Ha Ha Geoff! not pies just essentials Im sure i could go away for the weekend with just my handbag and not have to buy anything:eek:
Hi JenSo is your handle bag all you will be bringing next month when we wave chook and duck bon-voyage?:pLove Gail:D*

xxx

We are wondering about carry on luggage on Virgin Air. We have 2 small cases on wheels that are slightly oversize to their measurements. We have used them on Qantas but are hesitant about Virgin. Can anyone help please??? Thankyou in advance. Judy

We are wondering about carry on luggage on Virgin Air. We have 2 small cases on wheels that are slightly oversize to their measurements. We have used them on Qantas but are hesitant about Virgin. Can anyone help please??? Thankyou in advance. Judy

On our recent Virgin flight my carry-on luggage was a little oversize (a bit too long unless I squeezed it). They didn't even look at it. My daughter's main luggage was 23kg and it was not queried. She was travelling alone so it didn't even out with other members of the party whose bag might have been underweight.

If your main luggage is too heavy, pack a few compact heavy items in your carry-on bag and walk as if it is as light as a feather. Wear your heaviest shoes, carry a warm jacket instead of packing it.:)

Thanks Ela. Was your carry on luggage a case with wheels or a soft bag??

It was a soft bag with a shoulder strap. No-one looked sideways at it. I have to admit my son put it in the overhead locker for me because it was heavy. I had considered buying a carry-on size bag with wheels but decided to go with what I had. If you buy one, make sure it conforms with domestic flight size restrictions. The Qantas overseas size allowance is larger, but anyone selling the luggage would know the different size restrictions.:):)

Archived