St. Martin - Orient Beach BIG FYI

Just a heads up -

Orient Beach, especially anything to the right of Pedro's Bar/Beach Shack (facing from the parking lot) is totally nude sunbathing. Our group was dropped off there, and out of about 800 people, only maybe 4 or 5 had on anything at all. Yes, men and women, young and old. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I was just really surprised after all the reviews about only a few people being topless. HAH! If this is for you (and your family), no problem. If not, ask that you are dropped off closer to Bikini Beach (part of Orient). Our friends we met were dropped off there, and only a few women were topless.

We were dropped off as far down as we could go and only saw a few topless on the beach. However we did see a gentleman must have been at least 75 come strolling by with nothing but a back pack on, it was a sight I will never forget.

I am still laughing about this. I have never, ever, seen some of the stuff I saw that day. I thought I was so cool until this, hahaha!

You should read PaulMedik Freedom review, you will see him and his family posing for a picture in front of a sign at Orient, the guy that took their picture was totally nude LOL.

Fred

We were dropped off as far down as we could go and only saw a few topless on the beach. However we did see a gentleman must have been at least 75 come strolling by with nothing but a back pack on, it was a sight I will never forget.

We saw the same guy a few weeks ago :D

There was a gentleman "hanging" out by the rocks seperating Club Orient from the other beaches, who was probably late fifties, early sixties and who basically looked like he was equipped a bottle of Bud Light (length and width)...

lol Im surprised you all didnt know it was considered a nude beach, or partially nude. You cant see the beach from the road, you have to go back to the beach, so no one driving by would be offended. Our driver made some bad jokes about the beach when I was there.

No one in your whole group looked up the beachs there before you had a driver drop off a whole group of people, not one person found out ahead?? Maybe some did and didnt want the rest to know because they wanted to go there. I find it hard to believe no one knew ahead of time or looked online.

lol Im surprised you all didnt know it was considered a nude beach, or partially nude. You cant see the beach from the road, you have to go back to the beach, so no one driving by would be offended. Our driver made some bad jokes about the beach when I was there.

No one in your whole group looked up the beachs there before you had a driver drop off a whole group of people, not one person found out ahead?? Maybe some did and didnt want the rest to know because they wanted to go there. I find it hard to believe no one knew ahead of time or looked online.

We were there twice when we cruised on RCCL so it was years ago. We knew that it was clothing optional. It really did not bother us. It was a beautiful beach. I believe that RCCL was clear that it was clothing optional so it should not have been a surprise to anyone.

We LOVED that beach! It is a stellar beach...great sand, great water...nice restaurants, bars, etc. etc. Great activities...lots of things to do...you just have the opportunity to see some things that could have done without. It is a great beach though!

You forgot to mention the GIANT sign you have to walk past to get to Club Orient...:D

We were there twice when we cruised on RCCL so it was years ago. We knew that it was clothing optional. It really did not bother us. It was a beautiful beach. I believe that RCCL was clear that it was clothing optional so it should not have been a surprise to anyone.

I was on the Caribbean Princess - Eastern, loved it.

Havent been there on Carnival. ... yet. Im still picturing this whole large group showing up and the surprise on their faces.

I was on the Caribbean Princess - Eastern, loved it.

Havent been there on Carnival. ... yet. Im still picturing this whole large group showing up and the surprise on their faces.

We stopped there when we were on the Monarch of the Seas and on the Song of America. It has been a long time since we were there.

We will not be stopping in St. Maarten/St. Martin when we are on the Carnival Miracle in August, San Juan, Tortola, and St. Thomas are our ports of call. We are trying Carnival with the kids and since they have been on 5 NCL's, they want a change. It has been 18 years since we have been on Carnival.

I'm not saying I didn't know if was a "clothing optional" beach, but come on! Who wouldn't be a little surprised by 800+ people completely nude? Most of the reviews I read about this port said "some" were topless. I just wanted to let those people know, "some" have bottoms on. We did have a great time, and it was one of the highlights of the cruise. Something we definitely will never forget. :D

Also, the guy hanging out (LOL) with the beer and the book totally nude, our driver said is there everyday.

Just a heads up -

Orient Beach, especially anything to the right of Pedro's Bar/Beach Shack (facing from the parking lot) is totally nude sunbathing. Our group was dropped off there, and out of about 800 people, only maybe 4 or 5 had on anything at all. Yes, men and women, young and old. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I was just really surprised after all the reviews about only a few people being topless. HAH! If this is for you (and your family), no problem. If not, ask that you are dropped off closer to Bikini Beach (part of Orient). Our friends we met were dropped off there, and only a few women were topless.

How can you go on a cruise that stops in St. martin and not know this (that Orient Beach is a totally nude beach) ahead of time?

How can you go on a cruise that stops in St. martin and not know this ahead of time?

Yes, I think it's pretty well-known, at least here on the boards. We were there about a month ago, and we never encountered any nude folks until we walked down to the nude portion of the beach to see if we could find the snorkel area that is supposed to be down there (didn't see anyone snorkeling).

There were some topless ladies strolling by our spot on the beach, which was near the Pirate Bar, but that is pretty close to the nude end of the beach.

If it upsets you, all you have to do is stroll back up the beach away from the nude area. We loved Orient Beach. I don't want folks who haven't been there to think that the entire beach is swarming with nude people because that is not the case. Very easy to avoid the nudies.

Just a heads up -

Well...okay. Thanks for the "heads up!" :rolleyes:

If you can get past the nudity (it doesn't bother us, but to each his own) Orient Beach is probably the most beautiful beach I have ever been to. We are sun worshippers, usually go to beaches at every port. And we live 5 minutes away from some of the nicest beaches anywhere. It is awesome. It is a must-see.

Just a heads up -

Hm...Maybe that's because Club Orient, the fully clothing optional (not nudist) resort is to the right of Pedro's and has a large (and famous) sign saying so. It's not surprising at all.

As an FYI to everyone and regardless of what someone reports they saw when they were there (not that I doubt those reports; just that it's only a snapshot, so to speak): All beaches on the French side of the island follow the custum of topless (female) sunbathing. Some days there are many; other days, not so many. Some days you'll see several fully nude people strolling along; other days, none except at Club Orient. Le Gallion has a sign specifically stating that the beach is clothing optional; I think Baie Rouge might too (not sure).

Cupecoy on the Dutch side is known for being fully c/o. Sunset Beach Bar on Maho honors their motto that "topless women drink for free."

(The following is not directed at anyone specifically; just a general comment.)

If seeing toplessness or nudity bothers someone (and it's fine if it does; to each his or her own preference and comfort level), then don't go to the beaches on the French side. If you feel you must comment about whether you think someone "should" be topless/nude, then maybe you need to rethink why you would even go to a beach that allows anyone and everyone to decide for themselves whether they do or don't want to "bare it all." It's immature to make fun of people who are less than (sometimes much less than) perfect who are enjoying a topless or nude beach in the way it is intended to be enjoyed. That kind of behavior reminds me of Junior High School antics. (And as always, that's JMO.)

beachchick

Here's an FYI I'd like answered - what are some good beach areas to hang out? We like chairs with an umbrella if possible (I'm a redhead, I need some protection ;)), we like decent food and good drinks, we like music, we like people but not giant crowds. I could care less about seeing nudity - as long as they don't demand my butt to be seen, I'm good. :) Just thinking about some options for good places to hang on Orient.

Here's an FYI I'd like answered - what are some good beach areas to hang out? We like chairs with an umbrella if possible (I'm a redhead, I need some protection ;)), we like decent food and good drinks, we like music, we like people but not giant crowds. I could care less about seeing nudity - as long as they don't demand my butt to be seen, I'm good. :) Just thinking about some options for good places to hang on Orient.

We like Pedro's, Baywatch, and The Pirate (all at the Club Orient end of the beach). All have umbrella/chair rentals (which usually include a complimentary beverage, alcohol or non). Trust me, no one--not even if you go to Club Orient and choose to lounge there--will demand to see anything you don't care to show. In our fairly limited experience, that end of the beach has the best water for swimming. I've heard that there can be decent snorkeling to the right off of Club O's section of the beach. BTW, Club O's beach is open to the public, they will rent lounge/umbrella to non-guests, and there will be everything from totally nude folks to others wearing suits (or at least parts of them, like bottoms; topless vs nude is a personal preference for many women, including me).

I don't recall live music at Pedro's, Baywatch, or The Pirate, but we spend more time at Pedro's, and don't pay attention to or know about the other locations. No worries. You'll be able to find an area that is good for you.

Try the food at Baywatch. Yum. We've eaten at the casual place at Club O called The Perch (happy hour is something like 12:30 to 1:30) and enjoyed it. Pedro's food is okay too. You can always just wander the beach until you come to a restaurant that appeals to you. FYI, Bikini, La Playa, Waikiki, and a couple of others I can't think of right now (maybe Kakao or Coco) are the most expensive areas and where you often find cruise pax clustered because many of the excursions drop at Bikini or Waikiki.

Enjoy! Orient is wonderful and beautiful--and you can easily find a nice big umbrella to protect you. Having an umbrella or shade is a must for us because we simply can't sit in the sun all day. We don't enjoy "crisping," plus my DH already had one little squamous cell cancer removed. We spent almost all day on Orient in and out of the sun and water. The guys even came an adjusted our umbrellas a few times during the day.

beachchick

Archived