What snorkel excursion do you recommend in Aruba & why?

vossjemi

What snorkel excursion do you recommend in Aruba & why?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What snorkel excursion do you recommend in Aruba & why?

• Mi Dushi
    • Jolly Pirates
    • Pelican Adventures
    • Red Sail Sports
    • DePalm
    • Octopus Sailing Charters
    • Roberto's
    • Tranquilo
    • Arubawavedancer
    • Royal Caribbean's offerings/other

Cruised 12/6-12/17 on the Summit. I highly recommend Robertos. It was easy enough to get to (A cab to a beach then walked down the beach a bit.....lots of vendors on that beach.) Robertos was great. Just the two of us and the boat driver. We didn't snorkel the full time so we just sat and relaxed and enjoyed being on the boat and looking at the coast line and getting some sun. We were thinking of doing wave runners and Roberto told us before we left for the snorkeling trip that if we decided to do those he'd give us great rates since we booked more than one thing with him. We inquired about the rates but were too tired to do it (wish we had now). Rates were pretty reasonable!

I'd definitely give them a good recommendation.

Went on Mi Dushi last year, great value. My list of reasons why I liked it over some other excursions:

Better quality drinks, not just rum punch, mixed drinks with blender.

Drinks start when board, not just after snorkeling.

Great lunch, not just sandwiches, a good quality meal.

3 snorkel stops, most others do only 2, and it does go to the Antilles wreck.

Rope swing, a stop to let you jump off the side on the rope swing.

Good snorkel equipment, with disposable mouthpieces.

5 Hr excurion with great drinks and lunch for less than $60!

Booked again for trip in March.

Drawback: a little tougher getting onboard from snorkling, have to climb up rope ladder. Not a ship based excursion, need to book on your own.

http://www.arubaadventures.com/midushi/

Nikole, is there any way to reach Robertos prior to sailing? on the cruise to arrange something? What was his boat like? Thanks for the information!

Oops sorry! Don't tend to post here as much since my cruise is over. Glad someone else found the link for you! :)

Since I was the one who started this poll, I thought I should tell you what we did and how it turned out. We originally thought we'd go with Mi Dushi, but they did not have a secure booking website. Then, they emailed me and said they would not be sailing the day we wanted to book.

So, we booked with Jolly Pirates. IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!! We could not have been happier. Julio was our captain. He was great and very funny. They started on the drinks right when we got onboard. We loved the ship and it wasn't too crowded. I think there were 39 of us. There is a shaded area for those of me who burn, and a front deck area for those who want to be in the sun alot. We snorkeled at 3 different spots. First, we went to Malmok Reef. Saw some beautiful squid pods and lots of lovely and colorful fish. We were then going to head to the German Antille shipwreck, but they saw too many boats over there and wanted us to have an uncrowded experience, so we headed to Boca Catalina Reef next. Again, some wonderful snorkeling. After this 2nd spot we had our lunch...absolutely delicious ribs and chicken with coleslaw and a roll. Far better food than I've ever had on a snorkel excursion, and I've done them in Hawaii, Cancun, St. Thomas, and Cozumel. Then, we headed over to the wreck and had it entirely to ourselves. Incredible. Talk about being surrounded by millions of fish. It wasn't windy or wavy at all for us, but they said we had a perfect day.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. They also have a fun rope swing which I think we did at the 2nd and 3rd stops. Everyone got as many chances as they wanted to swing off the boat. Then, the crew did a little show for us of all their talents on the swing. Really neat. They were a fun and most polite crew. I would definitely recommend Jolly Pirates. In fact, I have some friends going there next month and they already plan on booking. I can't say enough about how great they were.

So, now that I've done it...I voted in my own poll. Jolly wins hands down in my book.:)

I loved it sooooooooooooo much I looked into moving there permanently. At least we'll be dual citz.

Anywhere is great.

For the short trip DePalm is pretty cool. Alright, it IT somewhat stuctured, but look at how the natives live.

Get the spray can of cheese, the parrot fish love this, they think it's worms and there's no residue....

ONE HAPPY ISLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd be happy to regale you with dozens of stories of this wonderful place..

dosp@cfl.rr.com

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
I see the Mi Dushi is a tie winner with a vote of 4 today.

We went on the Mi Dushi on a trip to Aruba in 1992 and had a great time, but were wondering if times have changed. We'll go to Aruba again in March on the Celebrity Summit.

Seems like all the snorkel trips go to the same places? Is this true? Do they get crowded?

Lismon, Hi we are looking for a good snorkeling trip also. We will be on the Summit too. Have any other tours lined up. We are going to the Stingray beach in the Cayman's so far that is all. Ken

We've read some great comments about the Jolly Pirate snorkel cruise so we've signed up for that. Are you on the 3/21 sailing? There are lots of postings on the Roll call for that sailing talking about excursions & such.

Lismon, Hi we are looking for a good snorkeling trip also. We will be on the Summit too. Have any other tours lined up. We are going to the Stingray beach in the Cayman's so far that is all. Ken

• 1 month later...

I was surfing the web and came across a page that gives COUPONS to many of these places. I'm ALWAYS one to be ready to save a few bucks. My wife and I MAY use the Jolly Pirates $8 off. Since I don't have ANY financial/other connection with these folks, figured soemone else might want to print/use them too.

http://www.nightspublications.com/aruba/coupons.htm

Did this last week, off the Celebrity Summit.

To answer a few questions here: Was lot sof fun. Aruba looks great. Trip was great but boat was a bit crowded, not too much interation with crew such as dancing etc. as I've seen on trips in other islands.

Three snorkeling stops including some shallow ones and the sunken ship. Also a stop to use the rope swing which is lots of fun for everyone - you can watch or participate!

Some young kids which seemed to do fine, especially with the rope swing. There was some drinking aboard, and as much/many drinks as you wanted, but it was not excessive to the point where it appeared to be a drinking cruise, and relatively few seemed to be drinking - especially in the early part of the trip.

Moomba beach was very nice, we sat in bar/restuarant there afterewards so I'm not sure if there was a charge for the beach lounges and umbrellas or not. I'm sure an email or call to the Jolly Pirates would indicate if this is the case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Whomever chose Red Sail, I'd really love to hear your comments. We used Red Sail in Grand Cayman last year and they were pretty good. Just curious, thanks.

I still do not see anything about RED SAIL, does anyone have any Info. about their snorkeling trips??

I would like to use them because the have the times that we want (afternoon) and seem to have a nice tour. But would love to have info. from someone that has used them??

Thanks Randy :) :)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been on almost every boat on this list, & my vote goes to the Jolly Pirates - hand down!

I go on the Jolly Pirates every year. The same crew recognize me and my family each year. They are like old friends.

We travel in a group with all ages. The older one's love the shade, and the youngest one's love the rope swing. The boat is easy to get on and off. The food is always tasty and the drinks are always flowing. The Captain is the owner and takes excellent care of his ship. This our family favorite and a must do every year.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my experience with Mi Dushi last year in Sept. After not arriving to Aruba as scheduled (thanks to Delta but that is another story ) and cancelling our Jolly Pirates tour, we booked with Mi Dushi and glad we did. We had a lot of fun, the food was good, snorkeling sites were amazing and of course the drinks were flowing as soon as we got on the boat. My favorite stop was the Antilles. The rope ladder getting on the boat was a bit tricky to handle but we had a great time and would book again with Mi Dushi:D

I agree with CW, the Antilla 2 was the best snorkel experience we ever had. It's a WW 2 tanker wreck in shallow water. Lots of tours offer it, the catamarans park behind the stern, and you snorkel past the stern towards the bow, with the wreck getting closer to the surface the further you go, until you can touch the deck with your flippers. Tons of fish, golden coral, breathtaking. We don't want to bother with reefs anymore after doing wrecks.

• 2 weeks later...

went on the Jolly Pirates week of Jan 15th. It was our favorite excursion. We took the local bus ( which was right across the street from the pier). Cost $2. round trip. Its a 10 to 15 minute trip. Snorkling at the Antilles ship wreck was great. Stayed on the beach after the excursion and used the beach loungers at no charge. Real nice day in Aruba!

Archived