What snorkel excursion do you recommend in Aruba & why?

vossjemi

What snorkel excursion do you recommend in Aruba & why?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What snorkel excursion do you recommend in Aruba & why?

• Mi Dushi
    • Jolly Pirates
    • Pelican Adventures
    • Red Sail Sports
    • DePalm
    • Octopus Sailing Charters
    • Roberto's
    • Tranquilo
    • Arubawavedancer
    • Royal Caribbean's offerings/other

I'm bringing this thread back to the surface to see if I can get some recent information. I still can't decide what I want to do in Aruba next Feb. If I decide on a snorkeling excursion the Jolly Roger sounds kind of fun, but I'm afraid that it will be too crowded in Feb. Does anyone know if one of the excursions (and I've looked at them all) just sails for awhile too (in additon to snorkeling the 2 or 3 spots)? I think that would be enoyable too. Still looking for opinions. Note: We will be on the island on a Monday and some higher rated ones like Mi Dushi do not sail on Mondays :(

How about venturing out on your own and making your own excursion? We got this recommendation last yr from someone who had stopped in Aruba on a cruise and we gave it a try. Was our favorite excursion of the trip!

We rented a jeep near the cruise terminal. Sorry....can't remember how much or which rental company it was, but was reasonable. Found the name of the rental company here on cc.com. Loaded up our snorkely equipment, stopped to get some snacks and beverages and away we went. We spent the day exploring the island and would stop at the various snorkel sites listed on our map. We'd stay as long as we liked and move on. Was a wonderful day and a great way to explore most of the coastline of the island. Felt very safe at all times.

(snip)Does anyone know if one of the excursions (and I've looked at them all) just sails for awhile too (in additon to snorkeling the 2 or 3 spots)? I think that would be enoyable too.(snip)(

The tour to the Antilla II does a nice cruise down the coast, around the corner, and up the coast to the snorkel site, lots of time for sunning and drinking on the catamaran. Our Aruba shots are on http://www.webshots.com, do a search for username bob42ca, then click on the Aruba album, some shots of this tour and the wreck.

-Bob

choozin, you and I have talked about some of this already, but for the benefit of everyone else. When a cruise ship is in port in Aruba, there are going to be a lot of crowded excursions.

If you do not want to packed in with A LOT of other people, definitely consider Roberto's, the Octopus or Tranquilo. We sailed with Tranquilo and Capt. Anthony 2 weeks ago and there were 9 guests aboard. Plenty of room to spead out and a terrific drift snorkel along Mike's Reef. This was followed by the sail back to Palm Beach, about 1 1/2 hours. Here in this thread Tranquilo Sailing Yacht is my mini-review of our excursion.

Roberto's has a new website http://www.robertoswatersports.com/

http://www.octopusaruba.com/ comes highly recommended by friends who snorkel with them year after year and limits bookings to 22 passengers. We will most likely go with them next year and just do a half, rather than full day.

You can try to get some people from your Roll Call together for a private snorkeling trip for any of these boats.

Hey Bob

It looks like you took Fun Factory I? I haven't heard of that one. It kind of looked like it was crowded?

Yes I think it was the Fun Factory I. It was a CCL ship tour. About crowding, there were lots of ppl but we could easily find somewhere on the deck to hang out, and there was room on the netting too. As Lisa said the private tours usually have less people, and also they can somewhat customize your trip, we wanted more time on the wreck, less time at the reef, a private tour maybe could have done that. The reef near the Antilla is no big deal anyway. But we kind of like more people on boat tours, it's more of a party, more choice of who to connect with.

The thing about the Antilla wreck is that lots of tours go there, and there is only so much room for cat's to anchor. Our captain said he was going to get us there before the others so we wouldn't have to wait for other cats to move out of the way, and he did. Other cats were lined up behind us waiting to get in, and some just started their snorkelers from further back so it was a longer swim to the wreck, like maybe 30 yards further, no biggie if you're a good swimmer. They anchor off the stern because the wreck is deeper there, up by the bow it's very near the surface, and actually some parts poke out of the surface if the tide is low. So as you snorkel over the stern towards the bow the wreck comes closer and closer to you, covered in golden coral, fish, bubbles from divers inside the wreck too. We were able to stand on the edge of the deck of the wreck with our flippers near the bow, weird feeling. The crew tells ppl to stay away from the shallow parts, you could get cut if the current pushes you into the wreck, but lots of us Cousteau types went in for a look, just so fascinating, like being over the Titanic.

We also snrokeled the Gamma wreck in Grand Cayman, a mile from the ships. It's also shallow, much more of it above water than the Antilla II, and more dangerous b/c of the waves, but tons of fun. And a nice entry path, if interested let me know.

-Bob

Arubalisa, funny, I should just get your email...then I could just keep firing all these questions directly to you..LOL I was all pumped about Tranquillo when you told me or someone else (can't remember who) but they don't sail on Mondays (same with Mi Dushi) which is when we will be in port. I was leaning towards Octopus and have emailed them and red sail to see how much "sailing" time there was on their tours. I read some threads about RObertos too. I just wish I could figure out what I want to do...AHHHHHH! Plus I still have 5 MOS TO GO. It's probably a good thing, maybe I can figure it out by then.

Bob, thanks for the additional information. We do not like the "sardine" feel, but yet the Jolly Pirate sounds kind of fun. :) I saw your pictures from the Gamma. This whole idea of snorkeling wrecks kind of gives me the creeps, but I've heard so many good things, I have to at least try it.

Archived