New Piers By Late 2009

Phamer55

Anyone have any information on the new piers that are to be in place by late 2009? I will be cruising to Grand Cayman in early 2009, hoping I won't have to tender in that day.

I see nothing that looks like pier construction, but there are so many cranes doing whatever it is that cranes do on the waterfront (aside from the obvious load and unloading of cargo), that my observation may not mean squat. I just don't see any pilings or other obvious pier/dock building going on.

I attempted to post on this the other night, but the system lost my post.

In short, a developer is entering into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for a project which includes:

1. Moving the cargo operations to a new pier to be construted on a newly created artificial peninsula just a bit south of the Burger King on the waterfront.

2. Constructing two new piers at the new Royal Watler Terminal to provide berthing for up to four cruise ships. At least one pier would be built to standards to accomodate Genesis class ships.

3. Expanding the Royal Watler Terminal to include space for additional shops and possibly a hotel.

The order of the work is not confirmed in the article, but the Hon Charles Clifford, Minister of Tourism, is quoted stating that one of the piers for the cruise ships could be built prior to the cargo facilities. Then construction could return to finish off the rest of the cruise related construction. In such a scenario, one pier with space for two ships could be ready in as little as 18 months.

The MOU still needs to be presented to the Cabinet of the Legislative Assembly. The proposal is to privately finance the development. It is unclear at this time to what extent government would be willing to surrender control over development and operation of such key infrastructure.

At this point, no work has begun. However, it is worth noting that any proposal reaching the MOU stage is very far along in the process. This is definitely more than the idle chatter which has been around for years.

Finally, as Grand Cayman regularly has more than 4 ships per day, tendering will be around for the foreseeable future.

I attempted to post on this the other night, but the system lost my post.

In short, a developer is entering into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for a project which includes:

1. Moving the cargo operations to a new pier to be construted on a newly created artificial peninsula just a bit south of the Burger King on the waterfront.

As in Cheeseburger Reef?

The proposed location for the new cargo facilities may impact access to Cheeseburger Reef.

The location specified is vicinity of Bodden Road and North Church Street. That would actually be a short distance down from Burger King and adjacent to local landmark Mr Arthur's variety store.

While that location would likely not require construction on top of Cheeseburger Reef, I would be surprised if diving would be allowed to continue in such close proximity to commercial cargo operations.

For the purposes of discussion on this thread, I used Burger King as a reference location since it is a better known location.

• 2 months later...

Archived