Southwest Buddy Pass-experience?

ashtyn

I have a buddy pass for Southwest Airlines and have never used one. How do they work? How do you find out if there are available seats for any particular flights? I know it is general seating and I would be the last to board since I am going standby but I just want to know how I can find out ahead of time if there are seats available before I head out to the airport. Are there any tips or secrets I need to know about using this pass?

Thanks ahead of time for your help:)

Hello, I don't work for Southwest, but I do work for an airline so I can give you some advice.

First of all know that as a non-rev if the flight is full or in a weight situation that you are the first one that they will pull off. If this happens, just take it in stride and when the agent complete the closing the flight out, ask for them to roll you over to the next flight. I start with this because there have been times when people don't explain this to friends and family and they get upset when they are pulled off of a flight. I know cases that people were term or loss their flight rights because of this.

Ask your friend to check the flights about 2 to 3 days prior to when you want to leave. Never check a flight a month early, most of them look open. The friend can also check to see which flight has the most number of open seats and how many non revs are on standby for that flight. Among the standby we are rank due to our hire date. If your buddy worked for Southwest a long time, that also helps. I don't know how Southwest does it, but if we fly with our buddy, they have the same senority date for that flight, but if they fly alone, they are placed below the actual employees.

If the flight is not full, there is a chance when you arrive to check luggage or at the airgate that they will call you to the podium and give you a seat. Otherwise when you check in, go to the gate and let the agents handle the customers first. I work on the ramp, but can tell you from the gate agents that I eat lunch with nothing is worst than a non rev constantly going to the counter asking if they are going to get on the flight.

I always thank the agent for my seating.

I hope this helps!

Happy sailing!!

Tamara-

Thank you for your insight. I was wondering if it was worth using or not. I am flexible but do want to get there with the least amount of trouble. Is there a better day to travel to have the best luck?

I have a buddy pass for Southwest Airlines and have never used one. How do they work? How do you find out if there are available seats for any particular flights? I know it is general seating and I would be the last to board since I am going standby but I just want to know how I can find out ahead of time if there are seats available before I head out to the airport. Are there any tips or secrets I need to know about using this pass?

My son works for an airline and we have to fly standby. He always advises flying at least the day before. I know we call the night before to see how full the plane is. We have found the early morning flights are often good. Also, he says Tuesday through Thursday are often the best days for standby travelers. Also, I am not sure with SWA, but you might have to pay taxes on that buddy pass. It is definitely worth using it though. Definitely be patient when checking in.

This is good news since I was planning on flying on a Tuesday morning taking the first available flight to give me time should I get bumped. Thank you for your experience.

Is a buddy pass different from a companion pass on Southwest? My husband has earned a companion pass for 3 years running, and for that, I just make him a reservation at the same time I make my reservation. You get a companion pass by getting 100 segments in a year (either by flying, using the partner companies or by using their credit card which gives you segments depending on how much you spend)

It sounds like a buddy pass is one which an employee is able to get for a guest to fly free. Is that correct?

This is good news since I was planning on flying on a Tuesday morning taking the first available flight to give me time should I get bumped. Thank you for your experience.

Good morning! Just like 4cruizer stated, nov rev during the week and on the early flights are normally good to get out. I work for an airline since 1996 and in that time, I only been bump once. I think it's worth working for an airline and flying standby. I also fly a day early for a cruise non reving or not.

Happy sailing!!

• 1 year later...

Hello 4cruizers. I wanted to send you a PM but could not find it so I am just writing it here. I recently read a Help wanted message on Craiglist about a Buddypass. Here is the message.

Southwest buddy pass - $100 (Richardson)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: sale-qcjnu-1229481889@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Date: 2009-06-19, 11:28AM CDT

I'm looking for someone with a southwest buddy pass, I need to go and pick up my granddaughter from my daughter .She has just finished her time in the military and is going to move so I need to go pick up her 4 year old until after the move. I'm not planning on staying in Washington so this is why I'm looking to pay someone for their pass. I just need to fly up, pick her up in the airport and return the same day.

I would really appreciate the pass and I figure someone is out there that needs $100.00 and a new friend!

Ann

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

aeternus- I was looking for a way to help her and I found this thread. I was member of this site from several months ago and it happen that there was discussion of Buddy pass here when I did a search on google. I did not know what buddy pass was but I read your post and found out what it was. Would you be able to help this lady? I have not contacted her so she does not know me. I just saw her request on Craiglist: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/wan/1229481889.html : and I thought I would try to help her. Could I ask you if you would help her? Her contact email is on the request. Please tell me what you can do. Thanks 4cruizers.

Hello 4cruizers. I wanted to send you a PM but could not find it so I am just writing it here. I recently read a Help wanted message on Craiglist about a Buddypass. Here is the message.

Southwest buddy pass - $100 (Richardson)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: sale-qcjnu-1229481889@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Date: 2009-06-19, 11:28AM CDT

I'm looking for someone with a southwest buddy pass, I need to go and pick up my granddaughter from my daughter .She has just finished her time in the military and is going to move so I need to go pick up her 4 year old until after the move. I'm not planning on staying in Washington so this is why I'm looking to pay someone for their pass. I just need to fly up, pick her up in the airport and return the same day.

I would really appreciate the pass and I figure someone is out there that needs $100.00 and a new friend!

Ann

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

aeternus- I was looking for a way to help her and I found this thread. I was member of this site from several months ago and it happen that there was discussion of Buddy pass here when I did a search on google. I did not know what buddy pass was but I read your post and found out what it was. Would you be able to help this lady? I have not contacted her so she does not know me. I just saw her request on Craiglist: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/wan/1229481889.html : and I thought I would try to help her. Could I ask you if you would help her? Her contact email is on the request. Please tell me what you can do. Thanks 4cruizers.

Airline employees are NOT supposed to sell their guest privileges. Not only could the employee be in VERY serious trouble, but the buyer could have NO buddy pass. IF the airline finds out the pass was SOLD and not given as a gift, travel privileges would be denied.

NOT a good idea to buy buddy passes, award tickets, AA VIP certs or anything like that on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. etc. VERY good way to loose your money.

IF you know where the lady needs to fly from/to, post dates and we will all try to help get the BEST price.

I think that the lady does not know what buddy passes are exactly only that she probably knows that its a way she would be able to travel without needing to pay much. So she is offering 100 dollars in order for her to be able to go to her daughter to get her granddaughter but she is needing to save money because of costs of living and she will be taking care of her granddaughter. So I think if anyone who can help her to get a buddy pass should offer it to her without recieving any money from her. There will be no problem in that you are offering someone in need to be able to travel without costing her money and she can become your friend.

I think that the lady does not know what buddy passes are exactly only that she probably knows that its a way she would be able to travel without needing to pay much. So she is offering 100 dollars in order for her to be able to go to her daughter to get her granddaughter but she is needing to save money because of costs of living and she will be taking care of her granddaughter. So I think if anyone who can help her to get a buddy pass should offer it to her without recieving any money from her. There will be no problem in that you are offering someone in need to be able to travel without costing her money and she can become your friend.

What you say is benevolent. But you will be hard pressed to find someone to do this. Too many rip offs and yes, I am very cynical. IF the grandmother is offering $100, it MAY not cost much more for an actual ticket.

The lady's daughter has opportunities provided by both the military and the airlines. Her DAUGHTER most likely can get a ticket via Soldier Miles or one of the other military programs to take granddaughter to grandmother, NOT the other way around. The daughter needs to speak to her Commanding Officer, USO and the liaison officer in charge of TDY moves to determine what is available.

Some in the industry call a buddy pass by another name--"strand a friend" pass. It's very important that whoever is trying to travel on a buddy pass understands all of the issues. Procedure varies from airline to airline. Embargo days, although infrequent, prevent travel on certain days. Communicating with the person authorizing the buddy pass is VIP!

So I think if anyone who can help her to get a buddy pass should offer it to her without recieving any money from her. There will be no problem in that you are offering someone in need to be able to travel without costing her money and she can become your friend.

Sadly this is ripe for a generous person to become a sitting duck for identity theft. If someone truly wants to give away their pass for free, they should work through a 3rd party at the military base to coordinate the details. Cynical perhaps, but it's the world we unfortunately live in.

Archived