Dissapointing Food on QM2

tmcauban

[quote name='Jimsgirl']In USA an item may be called "a" whilst in another country it is called "b", (in USA you called them meatballs when I was growing up in the East End of London pre l940 we called them ******s[/quote]

The word missing is presumably F A G G O T S ?

Perfectly sensible word. What else would it be other than a dish of meatballs?

(Myles - down!)

Seriously, I do wonder what all the fuss is about. Are you Americans so sensitive that you can't see a word that in some contexts may be insulting?

If so, that's a bit sad - and surprising. If not, why do they bother?

[quote name='Skin Flint Jim']Sorry to interrupt the discussion but I would like to know if you can get a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich anywhere on board? Thank you.[/quote]

Probably from the stash in your cabin that was brought aboard in your raggedy backpack that you wear over your holey t-shirt with the pack of Marlboros rolled up in your sleeve. :p ;)

[quote name='Wheretonext???']Probably from the stash in your cabin that was brought aboard in your raggedy backpack that you wear over your holey t-shirt with the pack of Marlboros rolled up in your sleeve. :p ;)[/QUOTE]

The fact that I have a weathered backpack along with well worn t-shirts has absolutely nothing to do with eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on board ship. I do not carry food in my backpack. If I were staying in some hovel (Carnival, NCL etc.) I would probably consider doing so.

So, where can I get a PBJ along with a glass of milk!

[quote name='Skin Flint Jim']The fact that I have a weathered backpack along with well worn t-shirts has absolutely nothing to do with eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on board ship. I do not carry food in my backpack. If I were staying in some hovel (Carnival, NCL etc.) I would probably consider doing so.

So, where can I get a PBJ along with a glass of milk![/quote]

Room service!;)

[quote name='poodlesmom']Oh, is that how they get around it?[/quote]

Actually, dear lady, we don't [B]try[/B] to get around it. We just call it by its real name. I was merely trying to preserve your delicate ears from the apparent vulgarity. :D :) :D

Jimmy

[quote name='Cruachan']Actually, dear lady, we don't [B]try[/B] to get around it. We just call it by its real name. I was merely trying to preserve your delicate ears from the apparent vulgarity. :D :) :D

Jimmy[/quote]
I understand. I was just joshing you.:D

[quote name='Cruachan']Actually, dear lady, we don't [B]try[/B] to get around it. We just call it by its real name. I was merely trying to preserve your delicate ears from the apparent vulgarity. :D :) :D

Jimmy[/quote]

Jimmy usually has six. Puddings, that is.

Sir Martin

[quote name='Cruachan']As was I, PM. :)

J[/QUOTE]

Is "pudding" a general term in Britain for anything served for dessert? I am confused by all this talk of puddings...that people ate too many while onboard, and I don't think I ever saw a one on the menu.

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']Is "pudding" a general term in Britain for anything served for dessert? I am confused by all this talk of puddings...that people ate too many while onboard, and I don't think I ever saw a one on the menu.[/quote]

Yes, it's a generic term for "sweet" or "dessert". The arbiters of taste, fashion, and style now seem to prefer pudding to either of the other terms. As you say it's confusing particularly when you consider that, particularly in Scotland, it can also refer to a range of overgrown sausages (eg, black pudding, haggis pudding, white pudding, red pudding etc etc), and things like Yorkshire pudding just mentioned by PM.

J

[quote name='poodlesmom']J, do you happen to know just where the word comes from? I find words and their origins very interesting.[/quote]

PM,

the etymology seems to indicate that it is probably an Anglicisation of the French word "boudin" and that the words share a common origin in the Anglo-Norman word "boudeyn". Interestingly the OED seems to indicate that the offal sausage meaning is, by a good margin, the earliest meaning.

J

[quote name='Cruachan']the etymology seems to indicate that it is probably an Anglicisation of the French word "boudin"[/quote]

PM,

sometimes my sheer pomposity amazes even me - what a complete idiot!!

I've just realised that I've been expounding on the origins of the word "pudding", when you probably meant the "spotted" one.

Sorry, I'll try to do better next time.

J :o :o :o :o :o :o

[quote name='Cruachan']Yes, it's a generic term for "sweet" or "dessert". The arbiters of taste, fashion, and style now seem to prefer pudding to either of the other terms. As you say it's confusing particularly when you consider that, particularly in Scotland, it can also refer to a range of overgrown sausages (eg, black pudding, haggis pudding, white pudding, red pudding etc etc), and things like Yorkshire pudding just mentioned by PM.

J[/quote]

I don't think it is quite that simple. Whilst nothing you say is wrong, of course, there are some things that are more "pudding" than others.

English puddings are something truly special - spotted dick being one of the nicest. Always worth having.

I think "pudding" - whilst certainly being generic as you say - also specifically refers to those wonderful stodgy puddings that are part of our great cuisine. Okay, some may see that as a joke, but a visit to Rules in Covent Garden will change your mind.

If that makes sense I've got it wrong.

Archived