Broken wrist - would you cancel?

GardenAngel

My 75 year old mum has just broken her wrist and we were due to cruise with Royal Caribbean on 7 June. It may be that the hospital will split the plaster to allow her fly (UK to Venice), but she's undecided whether she would still be able to enjoy the cruise. In particular she's worrying about the plaster making her too hot, about looking silly (bless her!) and about being able to eat her meals with one hand (although I could cut up her food of course).

Has anyone ever cruised with a plaster cast? I'd appreciate your thoughts, particularly about the heat issue.

As you can imagine, we are really sad about the prospect of cancelling. Many thanks for your time.

GardenAngel,

Well, the cast may be a pain but they also make flexible ones that attach with velcro. Consult with your Physician, but I think these are quite good and may solve the flying problem. Either way, take that cruise! A few inconveniences are nothing compared to the overall enjoyment.

I have seen someone with a soft cast on their foot, so a wrist should be a piece of cake! And as mentioned, discuss with her doctor about a possible soft cast. They have gotten almost as good as a plaster cast, are lighter weight, and best of all, can be removed to take a soak or shower!!

Cheers,

I have always believed that a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at home/work. She's going to have some discomfort with the wrist, but that discomfort will be the same wherever she goes. So if it were me I would rather have that discomfort on the cruise with a staff to cook and clean for me than to have that discomfort at home where I have to take care of myself.

She should ask her doctor if it is OK to travel. While the newer soft casts are nice the final decision should be the docs.

I had to wear a cast a few times in my life and while it was slightly uncomfortable in the summer it was not unbearable. As for looking silly she could accesorize the cast by wrapping it up in a bandanna to match what she is wearing.

Go for it, On my GFs first cruise and mine 2nd. I had a broken ankle and took a wheel chair when we got to port I wheeled my self up the plank so she did not have much of a choice. She was taken by the size of ship. She did wheel me around while on board which earned her a make up cruise with me the next year Now she is hooked

Whilst not on a cruise, I broke my arm on honeymoon whilst we were in Mexico. We were due to fly to LA the next day, which we still managed to do and then flew to Honolulu 4 days later. It was a 'pain' so to speak, but better than being at home.

Also, my elderely mother broke her arm a few days before cruising and she was fine. My father wanted to cancel, but Mum was insistent that they still go, and she didn't regret it.

She wont need to worry about swelling as this will have already subsided and she shouldn't really be in any pain by that time.

The waiters are very good, I'm sure after the first night they will bring her food prepared so that she can eat with the one hand.

If she is well enough in every other respect, I would say go for it.

I would go. A bit of a pain, but still better than a leg. DS had a cast on his leg he could get wet. He was still able to have fun and jump in the at a pool party. She would still be able to shower without having issues.

I have always believed that a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at home/work. She's going to have some discomfort with the wrist, but that discomfort will be the same wherever she goes. So if it were me I would rather have that discomfort on the cruise with a staff to cook and clean for me than to have that discomfort at home where I have to take care of myself.

ITA with Orange Reader but with elderly people, injuries can seem much worse than they really are. Their healing powers aren't always so positive. If she can have a positive attitude, it will probably be great for her. I say check into the soft cast and assure her that no one will point out her injury. Quite the opposite, she might find herself very pampered. :o

It also comes down to what your mother's doctor says; if the Dr. says she can go, then I believe most insurance policies will not cover you for cancellation (but I also realize you are dealing with a UK policy which is an entirely different policy and set of rules than what US policies say).

For both financial and medical reason, I think you should discuss this with the Dr. and decide from there.

So sorry to hear about your Mum's accident. Be sure the doctor knows about the planned drip as he may decide to do things differently because of it which could be a great help. The doctors recommendations should be a big help in making your decision. She certainly can go and enjoy herself but it really will depend upon how she feels about it. We all react differently to these things and you may need to stop and think about how SHE is likely to really react while on your trip. I would do fine, but my mum wouldn't.;) The heat may bother her with a cast on, but if she attempts to stay out of the direct sunlight as much as possible it really shouldn't be too bad. If you do go, take a small fan with you that she can use in your cabin and maybe even a small battery powered portable one that can be used on excursions to help cool her off. I broke my leg three yrs ago and spent three months in a cast, which of coarse was a much larger cast than she will have on her arm but the principle is the same and I spend many days parked in front of a fan to stay cool which really did help alot.

Exactly!!!!

Having staff to do things for me on the ship will make the early recovery days sooo much easier! No shopping or chores, others can handle the baggage and open doors.

GO GO GOOOO!!!!

Remind your mom that right now, the cast and associated limitations are brand new. By the time you both board ship, she'll have lots of experience with it and probably won't even remember it much of the time.

(In case I'm not clear, I think she should go :) )

I'm definately in the minority with this opinion but I just went through making this decision. I cancelled the cruise and will wait until I am 100% and can enjoy my cruise with no limitations.

My initial thoughts were like many of the responses on this thread. Go and be pampered, you can hold a drink with the other hand, everyone will help you. It's better to sit on a cruise than sit at home. Then reality set in -- how much fun is it to be in pain or uncomfortable, and why do I want to do this on vacation? How is anyone going to help me snorkel and scuba dive? How will I take those two bicycle tours I had scheduled? Every injury is different but they all take time to recover from and one is often fatigued and not up to par much of the time.

So the question became - do I really want to spend vacation time and hard earned money on a cruise where I am limited in what I can do and may not really feel 100%. Sure the doctor said I could go and others felt that I should go but I needed to make my own decision. I decided to wait until I am not in pain, until I have no limitations and am able to truly enjoy myself. Six weeks after canceling the cruise I know it was the best decision I could have made. I rescheduled and we will be enjoying every minute of the cruise as originally planned. I was lucky as my husband asked ME how I felt and was supportive of my decision. After all I am the one that is injured.

If you do make the decision for your mom to go -- check out the possibility of a waterproof cast because keeping a cast dry around so much water is not easy. If it gets wet (even from the shower) you will be in a bit of a bind.

I've gone 2 weeks after carpal tunnel surgery and again after rotator cuff surgery. No, I wasn't 100% and yes I was sometimes uncomfortable and inconvenienced a little and had to modify a shore excursion, but overall - it was great. My DH cut my food for me (he's getting darned good at it too) and like others have said, I'd be in my sling no matter where I was. The pain subsides greatly over time and you can just take it a little more easy. On my last cruise, well the end of it, missed the bar stool ... I think it was because I was sober.... and fell flat on my butt. Found out when I got home that I had shattered 25% my tail bone. As I sit here on my "butt pillow" I'm thinking, I sure wish I was on a cruise.

A young guy on one of our tours had his leg in a cast and was hobbling up and down stairs and buses on crutches. All of us (older) women were catering to his every wish (well almost every wish :eek: :p ). Tell your mother to go on her cruise and be prepared to be spoiled rotten. She will come across many a stranger that will be wiling to help her enjoy her cruise.

I didn't read though all the replies...but Pls pls pls check with her physican. My grandmother had a fall last year and fractured some bones in her wrist. She also had developed a blood clot in her shoulder because of the fall and had to get blood drawn every week & also take meds for a few months because of it. Thankfully she's all better now..but did endure some bumps and bruises along the way.

I wish your mother a speedy recovery.

My wife fell and fractured her wrist i week before a planned 12 night Baltic cruise in Sept 2006 when she was age 72. She went on the cruise and had a great time. The head waiter came and helped cut her meat several times at dinner. She missed no excursions or ship activities, and had almost no pain once the wrist was immobilized in a cast. She could still use the fingers on the injured side.

She did stay out of the pool and hot tub and covered the casted arm with plastic for the shower. Waterproof watertight blow up covers for forearms are available in drug stores. Plan to go and have a great time. Jim

Tell your mom that she is lucky to have hands and an arm that will heal. Buy some pretty fabric and make a cover for the cast (or many fabrics, and make one for every outfit, or buy paint, and paint the darn cast. There are many worse things that many people have and still enjoy traveling. I wouldn't let a cast get in the way of my traveling. Hot outside, go inside, or have a frozen drink and hold it in your hand. An inconvenience.....sure, but certainly not a life-changing thing to have a cast. Tell her to go and have fun!!! (she might just not want to inconvenience you....so tell her how lucky she is to have you to help her...perhaps it will make her laugh)!!!!:)

Archived