hurtigruten line

mheslop

In 2001, my wife and I went to Alaska on the ferry system and had a very enjoyable time. We had a very comfortable, but simple cabin with an upper and lower berth and attached shower with wc. We spent most of the time in the forward observation lounge gawking at the scenery. The mail boats sound like a similar experience although one friend claims the scenery is superior. Besides Alaskan ferries, another favorite was a barge on the Burgundy Canal. That was top drawer. We do prefer smaller vessels with fellow passengers who are really interested in observing the countryside.

We have done both the Alaska and Norwegian Coastal ferry trips and, like you, had a most enjoyable time. We found the scenery on the Norwegian route more spectacular because there was often scenery on both sides of the ship - mountains and fjords which come down to the ocean on one side and pictureque little islands with colourful former fishing cottages on the other.

Ferry accommodation was basic, but adequate, as we spent most of our time in the observation/panoramic lounges.

It was so unique and special I'd love to go again.

Yes, very casual. Most people wore the same all day long with generally a slightly different presentation for the evening meal. No tux or evening gown needed. Just be sure you dress in layers and a bring a sweater, rain jacket/coat, gloves and knit hat and scarf - it still gets cool out on the water in the 24 hr daylight!

Have a great trip - it is the journey of a lifetime!

Burton Branch

The Trollfjord has apprantly been taken out of service due to mechanical issues.

I'd appreciate more info on the Trollfjorden being out of service, as we are booked to travel on this ship in the near future. I can find no information in the Norwegian newspaper. Thanks !

I'd appreciate more info on the Trollfjorden being out of service, as we are booked to travel on this ship in the near future. I can find no information in the Norwegian newspaper. Thanks !

Thats all I have been told, I dont know any further info. Maybe best to call reservations and ask. I cant find anything in the media either. Maybe its only out of service for a week.

Here is the story. In Norwegian.... I think it is saying that the ship was limited to 7 mph, maybe an engine out, not sure. But I think repairs are underway.

But don't believe my very sad attempt at a translation.

Hurtigruta Trollfjord er midlertidig ute av drift etter at det i går oppsto problemer med det ene giret.

- Problemet oppsto før Skjervøy. Derfra kunne Trollfjord bare gå på den andre maskinen. Dermed var maks hastighet syv knopp, opplyser kommunikasjonsdirektør Ragnar Norum i Hurtigruten.

Trollfjord skulle egentlig forlatt Tromsø natt til fredag, men det skjer tidligst lørdag formiddag. De fleste passasjerene har fått transport videre på annet vis.

- Vi tar sikte på å gå til Bergen lørdag formiddag. En mekaniker jobber med å rette opp feilen, sier Norum.

From the Hurtigruten Norwegian web site:

http://hurtigruten.no/Norge/praktisk/ruter-avvik/Ruteendringer/

"MS Trollfjord ligger ved verft i Harstad for reparasjon av propellsystem. Seiling i ruten Kirkenes – Bergen 22.03 - 27.03.2009 kansellert. Skipet vil gjennoppta ruten fra Bergen 27.03.2007."

Which I understand to mean that Trollfjord will be back in route for the 27 March Northbound sailing from Bergen.

You can check the link for further updates. At the moment her webcam

http://www.bt.no/kamera/article305296.ece

shows she's stiil in Harstad.

Hope this helps and that you are still in luck with your plans. Azipods are wonderful when they work!

From the HG website today:

MS Trollfjord 27.03.09

Viser til ruteendring for MS Trollfjord sendt 18.03.2009.

På grunn av leveringstid av nye deler til propellsystemet vil MS Trollfjord kansellere seiling i ruten Bergen - Kirkenes - Bergen 27.03. - 07.04.2009.

Think this means that they have component delivery problems, but the 27 March departure is cancelled.

• 1 month later...

Hi I was booked on the Trollfjord but it was out of service a week before we went. We ended up on the older Kong Harold but I have to say it was really nice. Much better than I expected given its age. Food was good and staff nice. Tromso-Trondheim was our route and I loved every minute of it. Norway is just an amazing country.

Anyone ..out there on a Hurtigruten journey or who has just gotten back ! Can you give us an update...

Thank you in advance.

Bruton Branch:)

Friends of mine have just returned from Norway, they've travelled one-way aboard "Midnatsol" on May 2-May 8.

If you have any specific questions I will be happy to ask them and let you know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We decided that we are taking the RT in mid-November on the Finnmarken. The question I can't seem to research my way through to an answer is weather and clothing. How cold is it going to FEEL \, that is, I know the air temperature, but with wind and the "boat Breeze" what are we going to experience. I intend to spend some time on Deck.

I am presuming layers and waterproofing might be a plus?..

I'd say layering and perhaps waterproofing are a must.

I agree layers of clothes, waterproofs jackets, trousers & hats and waterproof boots for going ashore. The ships themselves are quite warm inside,

We want to do this route but in contrast with "cruises", I gather the ship just carries along on its schedule and doesn't stay in port all day for sightseeing. It sounds like some have taken "excursions" in which they leave the ship at point A and return to it at point B. Are these offered through the ship itself? Is there a guarantee you won't miss the boat? And if you don't take them, what options do you have - how likely is it that you will be in port long enough to sightsee? I realize some folks enjoy just watching the scenery go by their windows but we are very active and would feel we had missed "the whole point" of our trip if unable to explore the ports we "passed by". Thanks for any insights/advice!

Archived