hurtigruten line

mheslop

Check out the website: http://www.hurtigruten.com, and click on the "Norway" word at the top. The website will tell you all about the ships, the route, the excursions, etc. The ships are not cruise ships as such but were originally mail boats ,deliverying mail, etc. to towns along the coast. The route became popular with tourists, and the smaller boats were gradually replaced by larger ships. There are many excursions from the ship that you can read about on the website. The boat does wait for these excursions if they are delayed, otherwise it leaves promptly at the stated time. In some ports you may have 4-6 hours; others only a brief stop. I have done portions of the voyage a number of times, and am looking forward to the 12 day voyage in a few weeks.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what the smoking policy is for the Hurtigruten Midnatsol? I am allergic to smoke and we are thinking of a 11 day on the Midnatsol in May.

Since there are more Europeans than Americans, I am thinking they allow smoking in the public areas. Please advise.

Smoking allowed outside only. This means the sundeck and the outside walkways and decks. Also, if people have booked one of the 5 cabins with a balcony, they are permitted to smoke on their private balcony. Smoke was not a problem on our trip on the Trollfjord, which is a sistership of Midnatsol.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering booking with Hurtigruten on their Norwegian Highlights cruise on M/S Fram leaving Dover on April 9th 2010 for 10 days ending in Oslo.

Apparently this particular cruise only sails once a year -- presumably they

are transferring the ship from another location ?

http://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/

Can't seem to find any info' about the M/S Fram on this site and not much about how Hurtigruten compares with other lines.

My only previous cruise was with NCL in June on the Jewel to the Baltic Capitals.

-- Good value for money. Nice ship but a bit too big for my liking and didn't appreciate some of the hard sell !

Any suggestions/recommendations/opinions etc about Fram and Hurtigruten would be much appreciated. :) :) :)

MS Fram operates in the polar regions and is on transit south to north- but is doing various cruises in Europe on her way north. Look in the antarctic forum for more about this ship.

Look in the N Europe & Baltic forum for more on Hurtigruten.

Hope this helps- too much info to summarise here. Please come back with any specific questions

• 2 weeks later...

Hurtigruten ASA has entered into a contract for the hire of MS Finnmarken as hotel ships at the Gorgon field in Western Australia.

MS Finnmarken is engaged in connection with the development of the Gorgon field in Western Australia.

- We have on several occasions shown that we are competitive, even for missions like this. We have ships, expertise and technical solutions are also well suited to serve this market, "he says.

The agreement has a duration of 18 months, with possible extension for another 18 months and occurs during the New Year. The contract also includes a chartered supply ship and has a total of 697 million kroner.

- This is a large and important appointment for Hurtigruten ASA that will give the company a substantial and predictable income over a long time, "says CEO Olav Fjell.

MS Nordlys will go into the steamer along the Norwegian coast as a replacement for MS Finnmarken, 8 November 2009

It appears as though the intent is to shuffle other ships' schedules and move folks to alternate ships. What is interesting, is that they plan to move a ship into the Finnmarken's slot in the schedule (Nordlys) which has a ripple effect folks other than Finnmarken Passengers.

Good that someone is making money in these times.

anyone have any info? itineraries good? cabins - any singles?

We sail on the Fram departing Nov 27th, Antarctica. We will be posting a "live from" thread from the ship, internet permitting.

Ron & Barbara

I'm considering booking with Hurtigruten on their Norwegian Highlights cruise on M/S Fram leaving Dover on April 9th 2010 for 10 days ending in Oslo.

http://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/

Can't seem to find any info' about the M/S Fram on this site and not much about how Hurtigruten compares with other lines.

My only previous cruise was with NCL in June on the Jewel to the Baltic Capitals.

-- Good value for money. Nice ship but a bit too big for my liking and didn't appreciate some of the hard sell !

Any suggestions/recommendations/opinions etc about Fram and Hurtigruten would be much appreciated. :) :) :)

Have you booked this? We have, and are SO looking forward to our adventure! We've also cruised on NCL..and a couple of other "big ships", and this sounds so much more to our liking!

By coincidence, I've just booked today on the Norwegian Highlights cruise on MS Fram, sailing out of Dover on 9th April. Plan to spend a couple of days in Oslo at the end of the cruise before flying back to Blighty, but haven't booked this bit yet. Hurtigruten say they will get back to me later this month with an extended package including Oslo hotel and London flight.

• 3 months later...

We are sailing on the Hurtigruten NORDKAPP, boarding on May 5, 2010 from Bergen. We booked this cruise through Vantage Travel. Has anyone sailed both North and Southbound and have recommendations for elective excursions?

IS ANYONE ELSE WITH US?

We are sailing on the Hurtigruten NORDKAPP, boarding on May 5, 2010 from Bergen. We booked this cruise through Vantage Travel. Has anyone sailed both North and Southbound and have recommendations for elective excursions?

IS ANYONE ELSE WITH US?

2 weeks from today and I am taking the round voyage on Hurtigruten's smallest vessel MS Nordstjernen. I have looked at the excursions and have pre booked Alesund, Trondheim with Nidaros Cathedral and Tromso Polar History Walk. Hopefully I can book others on board. As I am going in winter there is a smaller choice of excursions compared to May. I will try and put a report up when I get back which may be of use to you.

2 weeks from today and I am taking the round voyage on Hurtigruten's smallest vessel MS Nordstjernen. I have looked at the excursions and have pre booked Alesund, Trondheim with Nidaros Cathedral and Tromso Polar History Walk. Hopefully I can book others on board. As I am going in winter there is a smaller choice of excursions compared to May. I will try and put a report up when I get back which may be of use to you.

Thanks, look forward to your report.

• 3 weeks later...

My Mother and I are traveling on the 3/13/10 Southbound trip, Kirkenes to Bergen on the Midnatsol. We are doing both some pre and post trips including dog sledding and the norway in a nutshell trip with an overnight in Flam.

Would love to meet some people before we sail or hear anyone's reviews of the ship or the trip!

Hello Realent,

We won't be in the same place at the same time but I shall be a day ahead of you departing Kirkenes (on round trip on Lofoten - the smalles/oldest ship).

I have been on Midnatsol for 3 trips so happy to answer any questions - not sure if you've been on Hurtigruten previously.

A few things that may be helpful that come to mind:

- Midnatsol will be full

- timing is v good for Northern Lights, dependent on weather

- be prepared for serious low temps (it's been -24C on coast in past week)

- additional excursions not on US website (& other new ones now on website) are:-

0100 Mehamn Snowmobile Trip 2.5hrs NOK2450

1130 Hammerfest Arctic Energy 1hr NOK295

0000 Tromso Midnight Concert Arctic Cathedral 1.25hr NOK375 (new in winter)

0715 Trondheim City Walk 2.5hr NOK180

I've done Husky sledging in Tromso - wonderful (on Christmas Day!). Also a longer variant on Norway in a Nutshell - one of best days of scenery ever experienced (In May so very different conditions)

I'd recommend one of the Trondheim excursions as ship departs at 1000 so it's unlikely you'd get to do much/anything in city otherwise. 2.5hr walk might be a bit chilly!

Midnatsol is lovely ship - think you'll have a wonderful trip.

Richard

Hello Realent,

We won't be in the same place at the same time but I shall be a day ahead of you departing Kirkenes (on round trip on Lofoten - the smalles/oldest ship).

I have been on Midnatsol for 3 trips so happy to answer any questions - not sure if you've been on Hurtigruten previously.

A few things that may be helpful that come to mind:

- Midnatsol will be full

- timing is v good for Northern Lights, dependent on weather

- be prepared for serious low temps (it's been -24C on coast in past week)

- additional excursions not on US website (& other new ones now on website) are:-

0100 Mehamn Snowmobile Trip 2.5hrs NOK2450

1130 Hammerfest Arctic Energy 1hr NOK295

0000 Tromso Midnight Concert Arctic Cathedral 1.25hr NOK375 (new in winter)

0715 Trondheim City Walk 2.5hr NOK180

I've done Husky sledging in Tromso - wonderful (on Christmas Day!). Also a longer variant on Norway in a Nutshell - one of best days of scenery ever experienced (In May so very different conditions)

I'd recommend one of the Trondheim excursions as ship departs at 1000 so it's unlikely you'd get to do much/anything in city otherwise. 2.5hr walk might be a bit chilly!

Midnatsol is lovely ship - think you'll have a wonderful trip.

Richard

Hi Richard!

Thank you so much for the nice note and suggestions! You will have to leave a breadcrumb trail for us but it is too bad you won't be onboard with us to share your expertise along the way.

This is our first trip on Hurtigurten. My first adventure type cruise of any kind. I have been busy shopping all the winter sales online for clothing even though I am trying to pack light..sort of an oxymoron when it comes to winter/bulky clothes. I am just going to wear the same thing over and over! :D

We are doing the dogsledding in Kirkenes along with a visit to the Ice Hotel and hope to see the Northern Lights that night.

We have a tour A taste of Vesterålen (Harstad–Sortland) and also Trondheim with Nidaros Cathedral planned.

We are having a 3 hours tour in Oslo when we arrive there. 2 nights in Bergen post cruise then the Norway in a Nutshell back to Oslo with an overnight in Flam.

I am debating on the midnight Catherdral. Have you done that? What do you think? I just want to do everything I can while there!

I know I am going to be freezing. Anything in particular you can recommend that I pack or bring with me? I am sure there are things particular to this type of cruising/traveling that I am not going to think of.

I don't think my Caribbean/Mexico Cruise Packing list is doing me much good this time around! LOL:cool:

What made you decide to sail the Lofoten this time around?

Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate it.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I'll try & respond to your questions - if you let me have an email address I can mail you a detailed itinerary for the Voyage I originally did for my octogenarian parents when they travelled with me a couple of years ago on Midnatsol.

As for clothes layers are most flexible - Hurtigruten ships & Norwegian Hotels etc are (sometimes very) warm. A Breathable shell jacket & trousers with insulating layers underneath is probably best. An adjustable hood is well worthwhile with either peak on hood or wearing a peaked hat underneath hood. Shoes/boots (would suggest at least a pair of waterproof ankle high boots) with deep treads eg Vibram.

It;s worth remembering that when you're on deck on Hurtiguten you're going to be in a c.20mph wind most of the time due to the ship speed and with wind chill the effective temp. is much lower than thermometer! I'd suggest taking quality sunglasses even in March, as well as swimming costume for the jacuzzis - under the Northern lights?.

I would recommend the Midnight Concert, the church is pretty impressive & well lit at night with a v large modern stained glass window/wall. The concert itself is a mixture of classical, folk etc and I think everyone enjoyed it when I went (in midnight sun in May).

I'm going on Lofoten this time because Midnatsol was almost full when I came to book (fairly late) and I also want to experience the more traditional voyage on an older generation of ship (I sail on yachts so am ok with limited creature comforts & more ship movement.

What grade/cabin number(s) are you in & where are you staying in Bergen? Did you book direct or via an external package?

Last thing that occurs at the moment - if you're not teetotal make use of the duty free allowance (eg 1L spirits + 1.5L wine + 2L beer) as you are officially allowed to bring alcohol on board and use in cabins. Assuming you're entering Norway by air (at Oslo?) you can buy duty-free on arrival which means less to stow on international flights.

Bye for now,

Richard

Just back from the Norstjernen and as promised some information on the excursions taken.

Alesund walking tour. Good value as guide was very informative - a must if you are into Art Deco

Trondheim - Nideros Cathedral. I was not impressed by the guide on the coach however the Cathedral was one of the best guides I have ever experienced. She was so enthusiastic about the history of the Catherdal it was obvious she totally enjoyed her job. If you visit at a time when the Cathedral is open to the General Public go privately.

Tromso Polar History Walk - Not enough people so cancelled

North Cape - A total must in Winter, great artic conditions with heavy snow and thick snow on the ground. In winter you can only get there by coach convoy which follows the snow plough.

Russian Border - Also cancelled due to lack of interest.

Fellow passengers took the Husky sleding, the snow mobile and the stortland trip and all I spoke to said these were really worth the money.

Hope this helps a little for you, have a great holiday.

We're booked on the Norwegian Highlights cruise on the MS Fram -- April 9 to 18th calling at Dover, Stavanger, Ulvik, Flam, Alesund, Olden, Bergen, Oslo. Will spend 2 days in Oslo at the end of the cruise.

Haven't booked any excursions yet so would welcome any suggestions,

especially for Bergen and Oslo.

Noted SquareVanMan 's recommendation of Arlesund walking tour so will probably book that. Also Flam Railway to Myrdal looks good.

We're in our early 60's. Reasonably fit and healthy but don't want to tackle anything too strenuous. :)

We're booked on the Norwegian Highlights cruise on the MS Fram -- April 9 to 18th calling at Dover, Stavanger, Ulvik, Flam, Alesund, Olden, Bergen, Oslo. Will spend 2 days in Oslo at the end of the cruise.

Haven't booked any excursions yet so would welcome any suggestions,

especially for Bergen and Oslo.

Noted SquareVanMan 's recommendation of Arlesund walking tour so will probably book that. Also Flam Railway to Myrdal looks good.

We're in our early 60's. Reasonably fit and healthy but don't want to tackle anything too strenuous. :)

I am afraid I can only comment on Bergen as I overnighted there at the end of the coastal voyage. As we arrived very early after missing a couple of night stops due to maintainance Hurtigruten laid on a small sightseeing tour as part of the tranfer to hotels and airport. Bergen is fairly compact and with a good map and lack of snow can easily be visited on foot. A must of course is Bryggen which is by the fish market. Some of my fellow travellers took the cable railway which is a block away from this area. Regretably the Flam Railway was out of my reach but I am told it is a must if you are able to do it.

• 1 month later...

Hi, we are going on the Richard Wirth leaving on May 17. We are from the US and wonder what other Americans use to call back home.My cell phone won't work or the phone card I have.Any suggestions ?

Also, has anyone sailed on this ship? I am worried about seasickness to which I am prone.

Thanks for any info. Coleridge:o

Archived