hurtigruten line

mheslop

We are sailing on the Hurtigruten NORDKAPP, boarding on May 5, 2010 from Bergen. We booked this cruise through Vantage Travel. Has anyone sailed both North and Southbound and have recommendations for elective excursions?

IS ANYONE ELSE WITH US?

We are going also on the Coastal Voyage with Vantage on May 17th and are DYING to hear from the person who just went with them on this trip.Please let us know how everything worked out in terms of plane connections,Vantage people and guides,everything. We are really nervous as we have not heard great things about them.And so far, we have not been impressed with them at all.

Thanks for any and all info. Coleridge

Hi, we are going on the Richard Wirth leaving on May 17. We are from the US and wonder what other Americans use to call back home.My cell phone won't work or the phone card I have.Any suggestions ?

Also, has anyone sailed on this ship? I am worried about seasickness to which I am prone.

Thanks for any info. Coleridge:o

Having made this trip a number of times, I can tell you the trip is usually very smooth and you should have no trouble with seasickness. The ship stays very close to land for most of the trip, and is only in open water for short periods. The only slightly rough period can be a few hours in the morning the day after leaving Bergen, but on the summer cruises this period is so early in the morning most people are asleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to have taken so long to thank you but I just saw this. I was glad to hear this,but I believe we leave Bergen in the evening,so hope it is OK.

Did you use the computers on board and if so, was it OK?

Did you bring alchohol on board and if so,from where?

Thanks,Coleridge:o

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to have taken so long to thank you but I just saw this. I was glad to hear this,but I believe we leave Bergen in the evening,so hope it is OK.

Did you use the computers on board and if so, was it OK?

Did you bring alchohol on board and if so,from where?

Thanks,Coleridge:o

We did not use the computers on the shipas they were very slow, but used them in some ports at the town library or tourist office. We did bring wine on board, purchased at the state liquor store in Bergen (in a mall, near the train station).

I used the Hurtigrutin Midnatsol wireless connection with an iPad and iTouch on the May 10 sailing round trip from Bergen. The connection is satellite so it is not as fast as wired cable at home. It works best on deck 8 where all the lounges are located. Don't try it in fjords as the reception is affected by the mountains.

• 3 months later...

We just booked 6-DAY SOUTHBOUND VOIGE KIRKNES TO BERGAN ON THE MS TROLLFORD SATURDAY JULY 30,2OII TO THURSDAY AUGUST 4,2011

WE LEAVE DAYTON,OHIO JULY 27 BY WAY OF ATLANTA TO AMSTERDAM TO OSLO TO KIRKINES STAYING AT THE RICA ARTIC HOTEL 2 NIGHTS IN KIRKENES

AFTER ARRIVING IN BERGEN AFTER THE CRUISE ONE NIGHT IN BERGEN THAN FLY TO OSLO WITH ONE NIGHT IN OSLO THEN OFF TO COPENHAGEN WITH 3 NIGHTS IN COPENHAGEN TO CATCH THE EMERALD PRINCESS 11 DAY SCANDINAVIA & RUSSIA

RETURNING HOME AUGEST 21,2011

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

• 5 weeks later...
Hi

I am Norwegian and although I haven't taken the Hurtigruten cruise I enjoy reading this thread and what you think about the ship and the Norwegian landscape. If you have any questions about the Norwegians or Norwegian culture I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Hanne

Hi Hanne I am looking to do a cruise to see the Northern Lights, I can't decide which would be the best month either February or March, can you give me your ideas please? I am worried about things like icebergs, and how cold it will be?

Look forward to hearing from you or anyone else who has done the Acrtic Adventure cruise with Hurtigruten aboard MS Richard With

Regards Lisa

Lisa,

Saw your question re best time & "cruise to see the Northern Lights" and thought I would share my experiences.

I've been on 2 Winter Hurtigruten Voyages (round trip - Bergen-Kirkenes- Bergen) and have another booked for next year:

Voyage in Dec over Xmas on Trollfjord

Voyage in early March this year on Lofoten

Voyage booked late March next year on Midnatsol

On first trip saw no Northern Lights - though only minor disappointment with everything else going on (a magical Christmas experience). Last trip & next one planned to maximise chances of seeing Lights. You can never guarentee it tho' - best to be looking forward to other experiences on the voyage as well & there's plenty of them!

In March this year saw Lights 3 times, twice aboard & once on snowmobile excursion near Nordkyn.

Factors to consider for Northern Lights focused voyage:

a) avoid full moon periods - best would be voyage where new moon is in middle of voyage (or moon is not above horizon during evening/early hours)

b) daylight hours: significantly longer in March than Feb (& also in Feb than Jan). Extra daylight allows more of the spectacular scenery to be best seen with (in my opinion) little impact on chances to see Northen Lights during the Jan-Mar period

c) weather: you won't see Northern Lights unless weather is at least partially clear (Lights can be spectacular through partial cloud cover). Weather reckoned to be better generally between Jan-Mar rather than Oct-Dec - the "Northern Lights months".

d) which vessel/type to book on: having travelled on or visited most of the ships the only one I wouldn't book on would be Vesteralen with the newest(Midnatsol/Trollfjord) & oldest (the traditional Lofoten & Nordstjernen) the favorites together with Polarlys.

I see you're from UK (as am I) but am unfamiliar with the "Actic Adventure Cruise" - what's the itinerary of this? To date I've always ended up doing full return voyage on basis of value for money & would recommend this unless time constraints preclude.

There are moon phase calendars for all locations online as well as Aurora forecasts (tho' unfortunately not long range enough to book trips from!)

Hope this is helpful.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if either the Hurtigurten Nordstjernen or the Kong Harald have shared bathrooms. And if so, which cabin categories do not have shared bathrooms.

Also, as an aside, how busy are these cruises northbound near the end of August?

Thanks.

we are going on a 12 trip starting april 1, 2011, Bergen to Bergen, anyone else booked on this cruise? We are booked on the MS Polarlys. We have been on many cruises on HAL and the old Rennaisance lines and others too, have been to Antarctica so this will be the other end of the world for us. Anyone on this trip? Cally 2

Just wondering if either the Hurtigurten Nordstjernen or the Kong Harald have shared bathrooms. And if so, which cabin categories do not have shared bathrooms.

Thanks.

The Nordstjernen has shared bathrooms ('D' category cabins) all the other cabins have private bathrooms and all cabins on Kong Harald have private bathrooms. Regard's david737.

Am going on the Hurtigrugen ship Nordnorg next May, 2011. We are traveling from Oslo to Bergen with the Norway in a Nutshell.

Am wondering if anyone has done the Norway in a Nutshell and what did you do with your luggage during that time? We will have 2 large suitcases, plus our carry ons. So do you take them with you during the train,boat,bus and back to train rides? I have heard of Porter Service out of Oslo, but hesitate to hand over all our luggage. Just want to know if everyone else takes their luggage with them. Thanks!

Am going on the Hurtigrugen ship Nordnorg next May, 2011. We are traveling from Oslo to Bergen with the Norway in a Nutshell.

Am wondering if anyone has done the Norway in a Nutshell and what did you do with your luggage during that time? We will have 2 large suitcases, plus our carry ons. So do you take them with you during the train,boat,bus and back to train rides? I have heard of Porter Service out of Oslo, but hesitate to hand over all our luggage. Just want to know if everyone else takes their luggage with them. Thanks!

There isn't much storage space on the trains- racks above your head etc. If I did the trip again I'd be much more inclined to use the Porter Service.

Would tend to agree with Gaelsail.

I self-booked Royal Tour (now Sogneford in a Nutshell I think) from/to Bergen so am familiar with what transits at Myrdal and Flam would be like - as well as main Begensbanen and Flam Railway trains.

Certainly plenty of storage on Bergensbanen train (you would usefrom Oslo-Myrdal I think). Myrdal Station no problem - just a walk across a single platform. Limited but manageable strorage on Flam Railiway. Flam is flat, compact and well "paved" so certainly no problem with towable wheeled luggage for the hour? you would be there.

Would expect full touring coach luggage storage on coach link but couldn't confirm. Limited storage on local train probably as Gaelsail says (expect Voss-Bergen would be on one.

With wheeled luggage that any heavy hand luggage would sit on I would stiil go on trip but it will restrict some of your enjoyment/flexibility. Given reasonable cost porterage option I'd take that.

Fjord Tours website confirms you take luggage with you as you describe, states there is sufficient luggage storage and refers to Porterservice option.

• 2 weeks later...
am going on the hurtigrugen ship nordnorg next may, 2011. We are traveling from oslo to bergen with the norway in a nutshell.

Am wondering if anyone has done the norway in a nutshell and what did you do with your luggage during that time? We will have 2 large suitcases, plus our carry ons. So do you take them with you during the train,boat,bus and back to train rides? I have heard of porter service out of oslo, but hesitate to hand over all our luggage. Just want to know if everyone else takes their luggage with them. Thanks!

we are booked on the ms trollfjord from july 30, 2011 south bound 6 day kirknenes to bergan and thake the train from bergan to oslo airport hotal

we intend to use the porter service they will take our lugage fron hotel in bergan to hotel at oslo airport the price for 3 suite cases from hotel to hotel is 1450nok ($239.76 us)

they will pick up in the am at hotel in bergan and have our luggage @ the hotel at the airport in oslo by 9:00pm

stur dayton,ohio

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone been in a Fram suite? I had read somewhere that they had CD players in those rooms. Is it all levels of suites or only the MG suites? Also, in the small on-board laundry, are there laundry soap dispensers available? Is there an iron in the on-board laundry for passenger use?

We are packed and ready to leave for Buenos Aires for our Antarctica cruise next week.

Thanks for any help with these questions. :)

Happy Trails,

TXTraveler

Archived