Passenger Vessel Services Act summary to date

cvanhorn

Most of you won't be able to read this, since it's a subscription publication, so I'll summarize it here because I find it pretty interesting, and curious in its timing:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Article.aspx?id=174226&ad_id=4812

Gist of the article is that MARAD is about to sell the coastal cruisers Cape Cod Light and Cape May Light. The vessels were originally build for American Classic Voyages, but were not delivered due to that line's bankruptcy shortly after 9/11/01. ACV's successor, now Majestic America, had wanted the vessels as well, but could not obtain the financing to bring the deal to fruition.

Since MARAD was a partial guarantor on the construction financing, they have been in custody of the vessels for the past seven years, and have decided that is long enough. The rumored buyer (though no one will confirm it) is the European consortium Clipper Group. One of the terms of sale is that the vessels have to remain in the US, under US flag, for at least three years.

They will be operated, under a charter agreement, by some as yet unnamed cruise line operator. Any guesses?????

I can tell you it most likely WON'T be Ambassadors, since they are selling MAL in order to concentrate on their WindStar line of business.

Gist of the article is that MARAD is about to sell the coastal cruisers Cape Cod Light and Cape May Light. The vessels were originally build for American Classic Voyages, but were not delivered due to that line's bankruptcy shortly after 9/11/01. ACV's successor, now Majestic America, had wanted the vessels as well, but could not obtain the financing to bring the deal to fruition.

They will be operated, under a charter agreement, by some as yet unnamed cruise line operator. Any guesses?????

I can tell you it most likely WON'T be Ambassadors, since they are selling MAL in order to concentrate on their WindStar line of business.

Whoever picks up MAL might take them on - seems to be an ideal fit. American Cruise Lines is about the only other line doing coastal cruises, but their ships are 100 pax or less.

Whoever picks up MAL might take them on - seems to be an ideal fit. American Cruise Lines is about the only other line doing coastal cruises, but their ships are 100 pax or less.

Based on the timing of the announcement and sale, I have another theory, but we will see on 30 May when the sale is consummated who ends up with them for the charter contract.

At this point, I think that we probably should just give up until the final ruling comes out. What is sad is that we cannot get into the old thread for reference purposes, in order to see what has come before.

This appears to be a touchy subject right now, and we may just need to back off.

Is anyone besides me reluctant to book any flights until we know whether or not our cruises will be affected by the PVSA changes? Yes, I know I could book air through Princess but it is over $200pp more if we do that. I found some pretty decent airfare on one of the travel websites for our April Hawaii cruise from LA, but I am afraid to book it now :(

Ginny I'm lucky enough to have my trip a long ways off also March of 09. I think something will happen in July. That's what DAGVBSB thinks and I agree. After they make there decision they should give a 90 day notice for it to go into effect. I'm still hoping this whole thing goes away, the repercussions are so far reaching. I guess if I think it would cause problems with my flight I would get insurance, I usually just insure the cruise not the flights so I'm not sure what the cost would be, I don't think they will be cancelling cruises, but I think departure points could be changed.

Yes, I'm worried!

Dianne

It sure doesn't seem to be happening quickly does it?

What was it Secretary Chertoff said? His department would make it's decision quickly? Hmmmm, this was March 4th.

[/url]

sitnews_bn.gif

Stevens Presses DHS on Proposed Cruise Ship Rule

Calls lack of federal assistance for erosion control a "national shame"

March 04, 2008

Tuesday

WASHINGTON, D.C. ­ Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) today questioned Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff about his Department's delay in deciding whether to exempt Alaska from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's proposed foreign-flag cruise ship rule under the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

Audio of Senator Stevens' Q&A

with Secretary Chertoff

Click on the toggle.gif above to start the audio.

At a Senate Appropriations subcommittee budget oversight hearing, Senator Stevens stressed that this interpretative rule would impact cruise ships making stops in Alaska and could crippled the economy of tourism-dependent communities in Southeast Alaska.

"That publication in the federal register was under the heading of 'Hawaii Coastwise Cruises,'" said Senator Stevens. "We were very surprised when it was published that it applied to cruises along the Alaska coast originating in Seattle. As a matter of fact, if that regulation is adopted, none of the cruises this summer can go to Alaska, because they all stay in Alaska waters for longer than 48 hours. The net result would be that all the cruise ships would move to Vancouver, because they could stay in Alaska as much as they want. Now, this is getting very close. It's two months ago now that I raised this with your people when you first published it."

Secretary Chertoff assured Senator Stevens that his Department would make its decision quickly and he would personally review any rule changes.

"We've certainly seriously taken on board the issues that you pointed out. I believe that a final version of this is being presented to the Commissioner for him to review and make a judgment on it," said Secretary Chertoff. "I will personally look at it before it goes out.I will make sure this thing gets out quickly. I took on board your view on this. I communicated that to the Commissioner. I think we will get this resolved very quickly."

Senator Stevens responded: "I hope so, because I think the bell is tolling on cruise ship activity for Alaska. That is substantially what's left of our economy in Southeast Alaska. The government closed down all harvesting of timber. The mines have been protested by extreme environmentalists. There is no economy left in Southeast Alaska except tourism. And they (tourists) all come in on these cruise ships."

Senator Stevens also criticized Secretary Chertoff for the Federal Emergency Management Administration's (FEMA) lack of assistance to rural Alaskans dealing with the effects of coastal erosion.

"I had an interesting meeting several weeks ago when I was at home with the State and with FEMA, and with the various echelons of the federal and state government to try and help these people," said Senator Stevens. "They are Alaska Natives. They're on barrier islands. They have been there for centuries. They don't want to move, but they may have to move. There is very little help forthcoming from the federal government for them, and I think it's one of the national shames. Because they're out there on those islands, there's not many of them. They're not in a voting center like New Orleans, but they've been just completely ignored."

Source of News:

Publish A Letter in SitNews

Contact the Editor

Ginny I'm lucky enough to have my trip a long ways off also March of 09. I think something will happen in July. That's what DAGVBSB thinks and I agree. After they make there decision they should give a 90 day notice for it to go into effect. I'm still hoping this whole thing goes away, the repercussions are so far reaching. I guess if I think it would cause problems with my flight I would get insurance, I usually just insure the cruise not the flights so I'm not sure what the cost would be, I don't think they will be cancelling cruises, but I think departure points could be changed.

Yes, I'm worried!

Dianne

Actually mine is the same cruise as yours... Hawaii on the Golden Princess.... only I'm going a month later. I just happened to find flights from Burlington for $340pp which is pretty cheap and I hate to see them go up as we get closer.

Ginny that is such a tough situation because you know the fares are probably only going to go up. Have you checked to see what insurance would be if you needed to change it? Paying $200 more a person by going the Princess way would be tough for me. But you know if thing change, you are covered.

Why don't you try something like Insuremytrip.com and just get a quote? maybe it wouldn't be to much to cover the flights.

Dianne

Ginny that is such a tough situation because you know the fares are probably only going to go up. Have you checked to see what insurance would be if you needed to change it? Paying $200 more a person by going the Princess way would be tough for me. But you know if thing change, you are covered.

Why don't you try something like Insuremytrip.com and just get a quote? maybe it wouldn't be to much to cover the flights.

Dianne

Wow... cheapest is Travel Guard, only $60 to cover the flights, and for $216 I can cover the flights and the cruise.

I'd better call to make sure this PVSA scenario is covered... can't really tell from the policy language.

the cruise is the cruise, and the air is the air. if the cruise is moved, the air from starting city to lax or san is still available. i don't think it would matter to the insurance company why you changed the city you are going to.

please make sure to post the answer you get.:confused:

RE; The PVSA

Yes, I would want to make sure Trip interruption is what we think it is. I bet if we used the search function here we could get some idea's of the best way to go.

Dianne

Will travel insurance pay the cost of any increase in my costs because of a new government regulation? that is an interesting question must insurance including travel insurance excludes additional costs that result from governmental action law or rule(the increased $50 cost last year on laaska cruises I am sure wasn't covered)...But if the ship changes its starting or ending port to comply with a new reg would it be covered? I don't know. Has anyone been fined the $300 for a PVSA violation and gotten it back from the insurer(although technically it the cruise line that gets fined they just pass it along to you-which legally may make a big difference)

Ok, here is what I have so far.... normal cancellation coverage will not cover a cancellation due to a change in the law, however AIG has a policy that covers cancellation for any reason but only up to 75% of the cost. Unfortunately, they haven't gotten approval to cover NY residents. :(

Still looking......

Will travel insurance pay the cost of any increase in my costs because of a new government regulation? that is an interesting question must insurance including travel insurance excludes additional costs that result from governmental action law or rule(the increased $50 cost last year on laaska cruises I am sure wasn't covered)...But if the ship changes its starting or ending port to comply with a new reg would it be covered? I don't know. Has anyone been fined the $300 for a PVSA violation and gotten it back from the insurer(although technically it the cruise line that gets fined they just pass it along to you-which legally may make a big difference)

I don't think that you can claim a PVSA violation fine because, as a reasonable individual, you knew/should have known that the trip you were booking was in violation. And I'm pretty sure that "intentional violations of law/regulation" are about the same as criminal acts and, thus, not covered.