American - $15 Charge for FIRST Bag

bellebaby

This should be interesting to see the reaction.

Unfortunately though, I don't have any nickels or dimes left for the airlines, they took them all on my last flight.

FORT WORTH, Texas - American Airlines said Wednesday it will start charging $15 for the first checked bag, cut domestic flights and lay off workers as it grapples with record-high fuel prices.

The nation's largest carrier said the fee for the first checked bag starts June 15 and that it would raise other fees for services ranging from reservation help to oversized bags.

American plans to cut domestic flight capacity by 11 percent to 12 percent in the fourth quarter. American had previously expected fourth-quarter capacity to fall 4.6 percent from the same period in 2007.

Updates Regarding Checked Baggage

All customers may check at least one bag at no charge. A second checked bag may incur a fee of $25 depending on your AAdvantage status and/or the type of ticket purchased. Please visit the Baggage Allowance page for current information regarding checked baggage and applicable fees.

This is what is on American's website - doesn't say anything about the future. Do you have a link for your info? I travel in July, but am planning the budget now.

Updates Regarding Checked Baggage

All customers may check at least one bag at no charge. A second checked bag may incur a fee of $25 depending on your AAdvantage status and/or the type of ticket purchased. Please visit the Baggage Allowance page for current information regarding checked baggage and applicable fees.

This is what is on American's website - doesn't say anything about the future. Do you have a link for your info? I travel in July, but am planning the budget now.

Here is the link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080521/ap_on_bi_ge/american_airlines_reductions

I think most of them already do. There may be a couple exceptions, but I know United, Delta, NW, and US Airways did this quite awhile ago.

You are referring to the charge for a 2nd bag. American Airlines is implementing a charge for the FIRST bag that you check. And since we can't carry on liquids anymore, we all end up checking at least one bag. :mad:

I think most of them already do. There may be a couple exceptions, but I know United, Delta, NW, and US Airways did this quite awhile ago.

They were charging for the SECOND checked bag. Now American has come out that they will charge for the FIRST one.

You are referring to the charge for a 2nd bag. American Airlines is implementing a charge for the FIRST bag that you check. And since we can't carry on liquids anymore, we all end up checking at least one bag. :mad:

I need to read closer! Now that would suck. As I am an overpacker nonanonymous, I can't cruise without checking at least one bag! And I may be paying United 25 bucks on the way back for a second!

American Airlines will be charging for 1st bag! $15.00 x 4 x 2 (there and back)for our upcoming Liberty trip adds an extra $120! eeek!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080521/ap_on_bi_ge/american_airlines_reductions

I think I'm going to check into sending my clothes Fed Ex to the hotel before my next cruise. It'll probably be cheaper than paying for 2 bags.:D

I'm not surprised, but I'm kinda bummed. Oh well, guess I'll just have to cruise out of LA from now on!

While I agree that these new airline policies suck, but I don't think I would limit my travel habits for $15 a bag. I mean most vacations cost thousands of dollars and I am not going to change my travel habits just because of some nickel and dime oppurtunities for an air carrier. JMHO and YMMV.

jc

I think I'm going to check into sending my clothes Fed Ex to the hotel before my next cruise. It'll probably be cheaper than paying for 2 bags.:D

I think the cruise lines will have to start lightening up on the dress code in the dining room. You can't take so many clothes anymore.

It appears that if you made reservations prior to May 12th you will not be affected. From AA website.

"Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place."

Those carry-on bags are just going to get bigger and bigger.:rolleyes: However, wearing a week's worth of clothes may make getting through the security lines at the airport more difficult and take even longer than normal.:D

Basically I will now figure my baggage charges into the price of my ticket when I am comparing two flights. So say it's listed as $100 that will actually mean $180 if I plan on checking two bags.

Archived