American - $15 Charge for FIRST Bag

bellebaby

Good grief, that is the most IDIOTIC baggage policy imaginable. You've already got people hauling on bags that stretch the definition of "carry-on". Get ready for real bin wars as soon as this goes into effect.

American has been my carrier of choice for year and I have gold Aadvantage status. But I'm beginning to wonder what mental institution recently housed their management.

Good grief, that is the most IDIOTIC baggage policy imaginable. You've already got people hauling on bags that stretch the definition of "carry-on". Get ready for real bin wars as soon as this goes into effect.

American has been my carrier of choice for year and I have gold Aadvantage status. But I'm beginning to wonder what mental institution recently housed their management.

Check their list of exceptions to this benighted policy. Your gold Aadvantage status may make you exempt. Not that it will do anything for those of us who haven't reached that level of Aadvantage membership.:rolleyes:

My thought also. Now instead of checking a single bag a couple can "carry on" two bags along with their laptop. Next they will start renting bin space after all it will be at a premium.

That is going to totally suck because now most will just carry on.

Can you imagine how long it will take to board :mad:

It's the line at the airport drug store that will be longer. To get all the things you will need to take that you can't carry through security.:D

What a revenue stream...after the airlines wise up and decide we can just carry on one personal item. Question is who which airline will be first to impose it?

With oil prices what they are, breaking new records and all oil related products going up in price, frankly I'm not surprised at this.

Oh boy are there going to be arguments at the check in lines! Arguments and delays!

Allow plenty of time for checking in for your flights!

I totally agree with you!!! If AA thinks this is going to improve profits, I don't think so. People will be crammed into the seating because their carry-ons will be stuffed.

Will this stop me from cruising? I don't think so, but I'm not caving into AA, I'll try other carriers.....although, it might be hard because AA has the DFW market in their pockets:eek: :(

Sure glad I booked before all these changes and printed off the info about not having to pay extra if booked before that date. OUCH!

This is going to have a big impact on passengers with carry ons, I can see it now. When those try to pack an oversized or overweight bag onboard the plane and are told they will have to check it and pay. The fight will be on...................OH MY!

Here is the link to the full story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080521/ap_on_bi_ge/american_airlines_reductions

Charging for the first bag, that just stinks. That will definitely add to the carryon stuff people bring and slow down boarding.

On top of it, the past 2 years we have flown, something is broken, torn or otherwise damaged on our checked luggage.

They used to damage it for free, now I'm paying them to do it? That's just wrong!

There will be many that will be bringing aboard their carry on and a backpack. And, if you thought it was a tight squeeze before..now there will be no foot room to go along with no leg room!!:eek:

Rick

I'm sure that will be true for some, but I doubt it will change my travel habits much. If I'm going on a short business trip, I try not to have checked bags, anyway. If I'm going on vacation, I'd much rather pay the $15 each way than try to figure out how to pack everything I need into carryon bags, including making sure I have no liquids or gels other than those 3 oz or less that all fit in a 1 qt Ziploc bag . . . . Not worth it to save a few bucks.

As much as I hate it, fuel costs are getting so high that the cost of travel is going to increase.

Yep its on American's website but if you buy your ticket before then I thought it said you could still take that first checked bag for free.

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?anchorLocation=index.jhtml&repositoryId=16075429&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

If you read the exceptions, the $15 fee only applies if you purchase your ticket after June 15th. I bought my ticket a couple months ago for a flight in November, so I won't have to pay the fee. And you can bet that I will not be checking a second bag!

Does not surprise me at all. I think that we should have seen it coming. Costs are going up for everyone. A business has to pass those costs along. Someone has to pay for it and we as the traveling public have to decide if we're going to.

I try not to fly when possible as I do not like dealing with Atlanta's airport which I fly in and out of. Too big and a PIA.

Ugh this is nuts. I don't fly much but this just proves the point we need to be looking for other energy sources other than oil. Eventually there will be none and then what will we do? Soon no one will be able to afford these rising prices for oil in their daily lives.

doom doom doom

Does not surprise me at all. I think that we should have seen it coming. Costs are going up for everyone. A business has to pass those costs along. Someone has to pay for it and we as the traveling public have to decide if we're going to.

I try not to fly when possible as I do not like dealing with Atlanta's airport which I fly in and out of. Too big and a PIA.

A PIA, I'm sure, but I wish I had as many choices of places I could go with a direct flight that you have out of Hartsfield. I deal with flying in and out of the Baton Rouge or New Orleans airports, which is not bad. But I have to go through Atlanta to get just about anywhere.

I have decided I will start driving anywhere I need to go no the east coast.

By the time I shuck out money for airfare, a piece of luggage or two, deal with long lines, sit on the runway for 45 minutes, change planes, get my luggage lost I will do better in my car.

Things are spinning out of control with the US airline industry and it will only get worse. It just isn't worth it anymore.

Archived