American - $15 Charge for FIRST Bag

bellebaby

I feel that it is the Airlines way of nickle and diming the public. I watch fares, book in advance and watch as the fares go up. For my family, we purchased our air for our upcoming Liberty trip in November. Since we have already paid our fare, this is their way of getting another $120 (for a family of 4) from us.

Although I understand that fuel prices are going up, it seems quite unfair that luggage is now "extra". If I'm going on an airplane, wouldn't you assume I would need clothes. It is similar to McDonalds charging .99 for the hamburger and an extra 3.00 for the bun.

I recently booked flights for my July cruise on Air Tran and it was an extra charge to select your seats. Otherwise, you end up with what's leftover...likely middle seats in the back. My kids are older and it is a short flight so we'll take our chances. Any extra fee for 5 adds up quickly.

I think airlines are trying to do anything possible to not raise fares any more than they already have.

IMO It seems like a missed opportunity on AA's part. They could raise the fares to a reasonable level and market that they don't charge all the extra fees. The price advertised is what you get. Likely far too simple a concept to work. ;)

2P.P1

I read an article about a travelling journalist who would ship his luggage to his destination and travelled with no more that a small carry-on with his laptop.

I'm not brave enough to try that just yet, so I guess it's fees for me!

It does stink but at least they're not hiding the fees like they could be.

Mike

http://www.cruisevacationparadise.com

I do agree this is ridiculous... but I disagree that this will increase the size and number of carry-ons that people attempt to bring on...

If anything, this will also make them more vigilant to get you to check those bags you would be trying to carry-on... I foresee increased scrutiny for your carry-ons... Really holding people to the size restriction... afterall, they stand to make money by forcing you to check a bag that doesn't fit "the box"... :)

Given the rules of the TSA (Tyrants Screwing Americans) in that the only thing you're allowed to bring on board is one change of underwear (OK, exaggerating, but you know what I mean), I found it convenient to have a checked bag to hold the banned items (i.e. toiletries in larger than one-time-use bottles).

Given the way this may be leading, I can only assume that you're going to see more people trying to get things through security that they would have usually checked.

Hey.... Here's an idea..... Relax a few of the restrictions and stop terrorizing the passengers in the name of preventing terrorism.

But I digress.

Right now, it's all a function of the price of oil.

AA estimates their fuel costs for the year will be 3 BILLION DOLLARS higher than anticipated at the beginning of the year.

Any presidental hopeful who tackles this problem head on will be the winner. Yet, we have let our dependency on gas guzzling monster vehicles seriously impact our economy.

One simple soltion. Add a signicant tax on vehicles based on the weight/fuel consumption.

Just read on Yahoo that American Airlines is going to start charging $15 for the FIRST checked bag starting on 15 June. :mad:

How long before the other airlines follow suit?

Just saw on Fox News that they are charging 15.00 for the first bag.

Fred

I do agree this is ridiculous... but I disagree that this will increase the size and number of carry-ons that people attempt to bring on...

If anything, this will also make them more vigilant to get you to check those bags you would be trying to carry-on... I foresee increased scrutiny for your carry-ons... Really holding people to the size restriction... afterall, they stand to make money by forcing you to check a bag that doesn't fit "the box"... :)

I imagine you are right. We flew Allegiant Air to Las Vegas back in January, and they have a person at the check in line and force each person to put their carry-on bag into the carry-on size measuring bin. If it doesn't fit you have to check it and pay the fee.

jc

Having just flown in last night on Delta from Copenhagen, we noticed that, just as we had predicted would happen after enforcing the 1 bag per passenger rule, that people were loading huge bags as carry-ons and there were no controls by Delta staff at the airport. One elderly man had a huge backpack in addition to a roller suitcase - he almost decapitated several passengers as he attempted to stow his stuff. This type of abuse will only continue as more restrictions are placed on baggage and rules on the size of carry-ons continue to be ignored by the airlines.

I think it's referred to as "cross-marketing". :rolleyes:

2P.P1

So let me see if I get this straight. I now have to pay $15/piece of checked luggage? Is this also for flights that have already been booked?

eDIT: OK, I checked aa.com and this is what they have to say

https://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?anchorLocation=index.jhtml&repositoryId=16075429&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

So if you bought a ticket b4 5/12/08 you can check 2 bags for free. If you travel or buy b4 6/15/08 you can check 1 bag for free.

SOunds like they are trying the Skybus method. Next we will be paying for the half a can of pop that cost the airline 10 cents. Let's just get rid of flight attendants next, that will save money. THen when the plane crashes, all the people on board can figure out how to save themselves.

Please note that on the new American regulations, you are exempt if you use frequent flyer miles! I thought that was interesting...(I hope I read that right!)

I also know that those of us who don't live anywhere near a home port will probably have to cut back on cruising eventually...sad...

So let me see if I get this straight. I now have to pay $15/piece of checked luggage? Is this also for flights that have already been booked?

From the AA website.

"Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place."

Book your tickets now folks. Of course, you might lose it all if they go belly up. :)

Here are the exceptions from the AA website..........

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

• For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008, or who fly before June 15, 2008
  • For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008
  • Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
  • Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®
  • Customers traveling on government or military fares
  • Military passengers on active duty
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
  • oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
  • AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
  • First and Business upgrades confirmed prior to check in
  • Airpass travel

This is crazy im so upset, i just watched the news and found out, but you know what they also said that the barrels of gas has dropped for the first time this week. lets hope they keep dropping, but AA never like them anyway out of JFK they are the worse.Lets hope the other airlines dont jump on board with them.

After reading this, I just called DH who is a supervisor at AA, and he hadn't even heard about the first bag charge yet!!! But what they did tell them was that there would be layoffs soon:mad:!

So I know it sucks about being charged for that first bag, but it REALLY sucks wondering if your spouse might be laid off:eek:!!! (and here I was trying to book our next cruise:()

Please say a prayer for our family.

Thank you

My understanding is this the fee is charged EACH WAY. So, if you book a round trip, you will be charged upon checking in each time, so double the amount for a round trip flight.

Based on the AA website, this is correct.

• Administrators

And which one will be next? Surcharge upon surcharge -- our sister site, IndependentTraveler.com, has a roundup of them all:

A Surge of Airline Surcharges

Get a grip people! Traveling is expensive, I can't remember a time when it wasn't. If your travel budget is so tight that a few extra charges here and there are going to make a difference, then you should probably go camping. :rolleyes:

I don't like to spend any more money then I have to, but we need to take a deep breath and relax. ;)

In reality it's cheaper to fly cross country now than it was several years ago. When my daughter was attending Boston University the average cost of airfare to get her home was around $400...I think the most I paid was $550 from Boston to Vegas, and that was 10 years ago.

Last month I flew to San Juan, PR for $400!!:eek:

With the rate of airlines that go under, and the fact that we are all so dependent on air travel, I can't blame the airlines for trying to stay afloat in this mini-recession and with oil so expensive. We are going to be much happier if the airlines stay around. Can you imagine a world with only a few airlines....and you think $15 is sticking it to you??:confused:

Archived