Alaska in September

bob c

You not only will need a lined jacket, but also several warm layers, including knit hat and gloves. You are going during more potential cold weather. Be also well prepared for rain. Hopefully you are going northbound, which would have significantly better weather, as Inside Passage can turn foul earlier.

:) Thanks, going September 1 2008 Southbound Voyage Of The Glaciers Cruise.

As mentioned, you are going in the wrong direction for the better weather. The second week cruising Inside Passage, can have a lot to be desired. If you can switch, I would definately do so. You also need to deal with dusk by 7pm in your tour plans.

We were in Alaska in mid September in 2005. The weather started out in the 50.s but warmed up during the day. We were lined jackets, but not winter coats. We also wore sweatshirts underneath and peeled off the layers as needed. In Ketchican it was 70 and beautiful. For glacier viewing you will need hats and gloves.

It only rained in Juneau and the whales sure didn't mind the rain. The fall foliage in Alaska that time of year is just breathtaking. Another advantage is that all the stores in ports are practically giving things away as they are getting ready to close up for the winter.

I would not hesitate to go in September again.

I would recommend a waterproof/windproof jacket and fleeces and sweaters that you can wear under it, in other words layers. You would be wise to spray some leather sneakers with waterproofing, and bring a hat and gloves. You are definately heading into the wetter cooler season so be prepared for the worst and just hope it is better.

I've been to Alaska twice in late Sept and both times it has been drizzling and raining. I did expect it and it didn't bother me with the fishing I was doing, but my mom on the second trip wasn't very happy with it. Budget Queen knows her stuff and Yukon is a wealth of information!!!!! Listen to them, they really know their stuff. I just got back from Alaska yesterday, and we had the best weather ever and saw bear, moose, sheep, goats, whales, and of course the ever present EAGLES! I'll be doing my review by tomorrow. Have a great time, but be were, the sales in Sept are increidable!!! Great time for Christmas shopping!!! Really, I bought so much both times, I shipped it all home at Skagway, I really didn't have the room in my suit case and didn't want the extra weight!

Happy cruising,

Pam

:) Thanks, going September 1 2008 Southbound Voyage Of The Glaciers Cruise.

Unless I'm missing something major, it looks to me that your cruise tour is before the Southbound sailing. This is correct, right? If so you will have your land tour prior to Sept 1st, which is a great time for the land tour and the cruise will be the first week in September; NOT mid September.

As always, weather in Alaska is always subject to rain, so simply go prepared.

Have a wonderful trip!

• 1 month later...
You not only will need a lined jacket, but also several warm layers, including knit hat and gloves. You are going during more potential cold weather. Be also well prepared for rain. Hopefully you are going northbound, which would have significantly better weather, as Inside Passage can turn foul earlier.

Trying to decide on a Cruise, in September, the first 3 weeks, wondering about the northbound comment. Always thought Southbound gave better viewing of passage. And more daylight. Could someone explain this. Why better weather going north? Also when do the leaves turn?

Thanks

We're doing a Princess land tour on 9/3 with a southbound cruise leaving 9/6.

Would like to do a whale watch out of Juneau, was wondering if it would be worth it at that time of the year. Also, any other suggestions would be great (I appreciate reading about the shopping bargains, my dh won't be thrilled). We are traveling with another couple who have never been to Alaska (we were there in May 2002, never saw any whales), so I really want them to have the best experience. Thanks for your help.

Karen

We were in Alaska in mid September in 2005. The weather started out in the 50.s but warmed up during the day. We were lined jackets, but not winter coats. We also wore sweatshirts underneath and peeled off the layers as needed. In Ketchican it was 70 and beautiful. For glacier viewing you will need hats and gloves.

It only rained in Juneau and the whales sure didn't mind the rain. The fall foliage in Alaska that time of year is just breathtaking. Another advantage is that all the stores in ports are practically giving things away as they are getting ready to close up for the winter.

I would not hesitate to go in September again.

There Sept. 6th 2003, left Vancouver northbound and had exactly the same weather as quoted above. Beautiful fall colors all over and especially going up into the Yukon.

North or southbound would not make any difference in the weather in 7 days.

Archived