If All Cruise Lines Served The Same Food, Which One Would You Choose?

Cooks_Bay

I have mainly been a lurker here for the past couple of months researching options for a family cruise (our first) to Alaska. We are in our 40's and have 6 and 10 year old children. I am pretty much sold on the NCL Pearl out of Seattle for this trip due to the ships itinerary and ambiance. (ie. decor, staterooms, gym, and other facilities).

The reason for my question is that I see so many ship reviews that seem to equate cruise satisfaction primarily related to food. I don't really view food as a huge factor in the decission. Whether it's a cruise or a land-based resort I always think, how good could it really be with 3K+ mouths to feed (including crew)? We have been to a number of all-inclusive resorts, and I guess I sort of view a cruise as the same thing although it moves to a different location each day. I have never found food to be either terrific or a deciding factor when choosing a resort. Really...How many Creme Brulees can a guy eat in a week?:rolleyes: So... food aside, what's been your favorite cruise ship?

We've sailed 17 times and food has never been a factor in our cruise ship choices. We are in our mid 50's and have sailed on Carnival, Holland America, NCL, Royal Carbbean, Princess and the Big Red Boat! We absolutely loved everyone of our cruises. Personnally Hollland America or Princess would be my choices for an Alaskan cruise primarily because if I read what I believe, those two lines are the most experienced lines for Alaska. We cruised the Sapphire Princess last year to AK and loved the on-board naturalist and felt Princess did an incredible job of showing us Alaska. We are on the Island Princess in AK this Monday because we fell in love with Alaska last year and just had to go back.

However, in your case, If I had the cruising knowledge 15 years ago (when we and our kids were the same ages as you and your kids) I think NCL or Royal Caribbean would be the better choice because I am pretty sure the demographics of those ships would show slightly younger passengers, more kids and better childrens programs. If the kids are happy, you're going to be happy!

Have fun!

Larry

• Administrators

We choose cruises based on itinerary and price, in that order. Food isn't a factor for us, either. For Alaska, based on the itinerary we wanted, we chose Holland America (a new line to us) instead of one we've sailed before (NCL, Carnival, RCI). In general, if itinerary and price are roughly equal, we prefer NCL because we like freestyle dining and the casual dress code, but we've had good experiences on the others as well.

I'd choose NCL because of freestyle. For Alaska, especially, being able to eat when you want is a big advantage as you don't have to rush through your excursions to get bck for dinner. I'm also not interested in packing formal attire for Alaska -- with the cold weather gear, and crackdown on bags, I definitely wouldn't have enough room for formal attire, too.

We did the Pearl's Alaska itinerary (a year ago) and had an excellent cruise!

I haven't been on that many cruises, but the ones I've chosen have primarily been for itinerary first. If there are comparable itineraries on different cruiselines - then I use other factors.

I've cruised on HAL, RCI, Princess, Disney, and next year I'll try Celebrity. I haven't been on Carnival, NCL, or the luxury cruiselines. When it comes to food, I'm not that picky! I really like traditional dining as well as the Anytime Dining we had on Princess in Alaska. Most cruiselines are moving to some sort of anytime dining option, so that shouldn't be a determining factor - even in Alaska. If you have traditional dining and want to stay late in port - there's always somewhere else to eat.

I first booked RCI for Alaska in 2007 because I liked the itinerary. After reading that RCI didn't do such a great job in Alaska, I considered Princess and HAL. Both had almost identical one-way itineraries, but my first cruise on HAL wasn't so great - so I went with Princess. This summer we're returning to Alaska, and the itinerary I wanted was on RCI/Celebrity and HAL. Because of the date I wanted to sail, it was between Celebrity and HAL, and I decided to give HAL another chance.

The Pearl has very good food in my opinion, with excellent range of dining options. One significant factor with their freestyle is the ability to easily get seating by yourself. Some of the other lines, it is far more difficult.

I've been on 56 cruises, I gave up on food long ago. It's a big step down, compared to when I first sailed. :) I think all cruiselines have dropped several notches in the past several years. All about cost. It's still a bargain vacation no matter how you look at it.

I agree that NCL Pearl's food was good. A lot of items were actually excellent. We had no trouble getting seating when we wanted. I never thought I was the type to cruise for the food, but after a crummy RCI cruise-I think I am. The food was so bad on that ship that we all lost weight. It literally reminded me of hog slop.

I agree that NCL Pearl's food was good. A lot of items were actually excellent. We had no trouble getting seating when we wanted. I never thought I was the type to cruise for the food, but after a crummy RCI cruise-I think I am. The food was so bad on that ship that we all lost weight. It literally reminded me of hog slop.

Which RCI ship was that?

I have done Princess(Ocean) and RCI(Radiance) in Alaska and would pick RCI if and when we cruise Alaska again. The age group was younger on RCI and the nightclub/dancing was more our age (mid 40's) and it was all around a friendlier cruise. One thing I have to admit to was that for our Princess cruise , I had not found CC yet, so for our RCI cruise last year, we ate dinner w/CC friends and had the best tablemates we have ever had on any cruise.:)

I have done Princess(Ocean) and RCI(Radiance) in Alaska and would pick RCI if and when we cruise Alaska again. The age group was younger on RCI and the nightclub/dancing was more our age (mid 40's) and it was all around a friendlier cruise. One thing I have to admit to was that for our Princess cruise , I had not found CC yet, so for our RCI cruise last year, we ate dinner w/CC friends and had the best tablemates we have ever had on any cruise.:)

A significant factor could also be, how far apart were these cruises?? The Ocean hasn't been in Alaska in a while. Every year the passengers get a little younger. With your ship nightlight prioirty then you certainly are better off with the line you like. :) Alaska cruising is "different" sometimes comparing lines with their Carribbean demographics. :)

my first cruise to Alaska I chose for the food - Celebrity - and wasn't disappointed. I did find out on that cruise though, that I am not one for sea days (Glacier viewing days to some people). So I chose my upcoming cruise based on the fact that it had 4 ports instead of three - Carnival. the average age on Carnival also skews a little younger; I remember on my Celebrity cruise the sidewalks rolling up at about 10 for most passengers and the atmosphere was a little more, well, uptight.

my first cruise to Alaska I chose for the food - Celebrity - and wasn't disappointed. I did find out on that cruise though, that I am not one for sea days (Glacier viewing days to some people). So I chose my upcoming cruise based on the fact that it had 4 ports instead of three - Carnival. the average age on Carnival also skews a little younger; I remember on my Celebrity cruise the sidewalks rolling up at about 10 for most passengers and the atmosphere was a little more, well, uptight.

The past few years, the Celebrity ship doing one-way cruises has gone to 4 ports and 1 glacier. It and the one RCI ship that has the same itinerary alternate directions.

I've been reading reviews of the ships that sailed early this season to Alaska. And if a subject I wanted to know about was not covered in the review, I'd post a question.

NCL Sun did not have a naturalist on board, so there was no one giving pre-viewing lectures, nor any commentary while at the glacier or sailing the inside passage. On our 2005 Alaska cruise on Celebrity Summit, there were 3 naturalists! (whales, stars & the aurora borealis, and glaciers) There were movies made by the naturalists that you could view in the movie theater or even later on your in cabin tv, plus there was live narration at the glacier. I learned from someone who just returned from Celebrity Mercury that there was only one naturalist on board this season. But that cruise was "getting into position" so they might be adding more. Need to check.

I think some cruise lines have a Park Service ranger come aboard to lecture during the glacier viewing (depending on the glacier and whether it is in a national park, I guess). So please check with NCL to find out if Pearl has any of the above. Unless you have done extensive reading/study ahead of time, you will miss out on what is happening or what to look for.

"I am pretty much sold on the NCL Pearl out of Seattle for this trip due to the ships itinerary and ambiance. (ie. decor, staterooms, gym, and other facilities)."

People think we're pretty whacky because we picked the Pearl because of it's gym (price, Freestyle and Glacier Bay also being factors). But, if it's important to you (as it was to us) it's a good choice. It has at least 28 pieces of aerobic equipment and would you believe there were a few peak times when almost all of them were being used (we were on her on the May 11th cruise.) I can imagine that it might be hard to get a good workout in on a ship with a small fitness center.

BTW It's quite a treat being able to work out while seeing a pod of whales.

The past few years, the Celebrity ship doing one-way cruises has gone to 4 ports and 1 glacier. It and the one RCI ship that has the same itinerary alternate directions.

You are absolutely correct. But I decided against those for the following reasons:

Celebrity - not as interesting to a 15 year old as CCL or RCCL, been to Hubbard (amazing), doesn't go to College Fjord, $400 more pp, ends in Seward, not Whittier

RCCL - been to Hubbard (amazing), doesn't go to College Fjord, $300 more pp, ends in Seward, not Whittier

Even if I don't spend a lot of time in Whittier, I want to look around a little and I will be spending a day or two in Seward later in the trip. DH and I will be moving to Alaska in three years and I want to see as many of the different towns as I can before we decide where. And, the money we saved by choosing Carnival (excellent timing and past guest discount), went towards the Captain's Choice Kenai Fjords tour and the Misty Fjords Flight Seeing. Tours add up when they are for three! :)

Archived