Upgrades on RCCL?

Does anyone know what the odds are of being upgraded on RCCL?

We are looking to book a Junior Suite for Jan '09 and are wondering what our chances of being upgraded to a Grand Suite would be.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know what the odds are of being upgraded on RCCL?

We are looking to book a Junior Suite for Jan '09 and are wondering what our chances of being upgraded to a Grand Suite would be.

Thanks in advance.

If you are talking about a free upgrade the answer is slim to none.

I´m not saying upgrades don´t happen and you´ll get responses from people who have been upgraded as well as people with many many cruises that have never been upgraded.

Upgrades are very rare and RCCL is not a cruise line to offer things like other lines along the line of boog CAt.X and get a two cat. upgrade.

Best chances of getting an upgrade would be booking a guarantee, tho you still can end up in exactly the min. cat. you booked. Then RCCL upgrades D+ members upon availability but even that´s rare.

Book what you are happy with and don´t even think about the possibility of being upgraded.

I've come to believe that upgrades are more likely to occur on sailings when there is a lot of people buying cabins at your grade, and not many people buying cabins of a higher grade.

RCCL are more likely to upgrade people when they have a better chance of selling the cabin you are currently booked into.

On my first cruise (upgraded from a D1 to a JS) the D1 cabins sold out in record time, and we were upgraded because our D1 had the option of a 3rd pullman bed, which meant they could offer it to a family of 3.

On our second cruise (upgraded from a PR to D1) the whole cruise was selling quite poorly, so RCCL offered the guarentee interior cabin at a really cheap rate. That must have been snatched up because we were then upgraded to allow our cabin to be reassigned as a guarentee cabin. (We've been getting to know the couple on our Roll call thread!)

We're lucky in that we seem to have picked the right category of cabins to get upgraded both times.

From your POV, upgrades from a JS to a GS is unlikely, because of the number of GSs available. I have seen both rooms, and apart from the bar area and the 2nd sink in the bathroom, there really isn't much difference in space inside the cabin. You should be fine in a JS!! And hey, you never know - if the JS on your cruise sell out quickly, you might be lucky enough to get upgraded!!

It certainly wasn't allways this way......but it seems that when you look at a ship today.......the suites fill the fastest, so if you are hoping for an upgrade..........and it's a suite.........you are better to just book the suite and not worry about an upgrade that has a very slim change of happening.

Rick

I've come to believe that upgrades are more likely to occur on sailings when there is a lot of people buying cabins at your grade, and not many people buying cabins of a higher grade.

RCCL are more likely to upgrade people when they have a better chance of selling the cabin you are currently booked into.

On my first cruise (upgraded from a D1 to a JS) the D1 cabins sold out in record time, and we were upgraded because our D1 had the option of a 3rd pullman bed, which meant they could offer it to a family of 3.

On our second cruise (upgraded from a PR to D1) the whole cruise was selling quite poorly, so RCCL offered the guarentee interior cabin at a really cheap rate. That must have been snatched up because we were then upgraded to allow our cabin to be reassigned as a guarentee cabin. (We've been getting to know the couple on our Roll call thread!)

We're lucky in that we seem to have picked the right category of cabins to get upgraded both times.

From your POV, upgrades from a JS to a GS is unlikely, because of the number of GSs available. I have seen both rooms, and apart from the bar area and the 2nd sink in the bathroom, there really isn't much difference in space inside the cabin. You should be fine in a JS!! And hey, you never know - if the JS on your cruise sell out quickly, you might be lucky enough to get upgraded!!

My situation is almost the same as yours was from your first cruise.. I am sailing on the Enchantment the second weekend of August right before the kids go back to school and I have ONE of ONLY TWELVE D-1's that can sleep 5 and their is just myself and my son going. This Balcony cabin has the twin beds, the sofa bed and the pullman and those twelve are all in the newer section as well. I had actually booked a JS in January and took the down grade to save a few hundred just recently when I found out this cabin had opened up.. I just spoke with Royal Caribbean via the telephone and the cruise has some availability still but 82 days are getting closer..I feel that I have a better then good chance of seeing the up-grade fairy visit as the this will be one of the last weekend cruises for family's before school resumes. I would love to get my JS back at the price of a D-1 and that's a BIG part why I took this D-1 in the first place. Is that called playing the system ??:rolleyes: I think that I paid more for the JS then it was worth in the first place and the price I paid for the D-1 is a little more in line with what I think the JS is worth. Of course if it does not happen, We will be very happy with our Newer midship D-1 and can invite 3 strangers to come stay with us.:D

It certainly wasn't allways this way......but it seems that when you look at a ship today.......the suites fill the fastest, so if you are hoping for an upgrade..........and it's a suite.........you are better to just book the suite and not worry about an upgrade that has a very slim change of happening.

Rick

Agree with Rick.................Hi Rick.............we always book a JS and have never been upgraded to a GS or above. Though on our last b2b we did splurge and book a GS and my husbands first reaction when we walked in the door was..............NICE!!!!:D

The JS is more than adequate for the two of us and we especially like the walk in closet. One thing you have to keep in mind is that JS cabin size varies by class of ship. A JS on a Sovereign or Vision class ship is going to be smaller than a JS on a Radiance, Voyager or Freedom class.

Archived