Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cali fashionista

Will I Get FAT?

hey guy's it's me again,I will be on my cruise 4 nine days ,how much weight should i expect to gain ? how much have you past cruisers gained on your cruise?:eek: hehe

I never gain on a cruise even though I eat a lot! I always use the stairs instead of the elevators. There is quite a bit of walking to do on the ship. Keep your exercise level high and you won't have a problem.

My clothes still fit, but one of our group members weighed himself in the gym at the beginning of the cruise and on the 8th day. He gained 17 pounds!!!

Another of our group gained 9...

Don;t tell them I told you LOL!!!

On our last 7 day caribbean cruise, I gained 10 lbs during the week. I ate everything I wanted. I had been on weight watchers for the prior 3 months and had lost 40 lbs, so I was saving up for my cruise. I suspect most people expect 2-5 lbs, but I made sure I had a good time. Enjoy!

Mike

Any weight gain on our last several cruises has been small. We eat in the dining room, where the portions are more sensible. We like quality, not just quantity.

We also do plenty of walking in the ports and around the promenade deck.

The shore excursions should help as well huh! i have seen so many photos of all the delis food and i may get wild hehe, i think i will bring an extra pair of fat jeans just in case lol!

Don't weigh yourself for a few days after you get home. Some of the weight gain will come off fast as it's water retention from all the extra salt in the food and the extra alcohol. At least that's what I've found.

It is up to you. I try to exercise some restraint and I NEVER take the elevators. We walk alot in the ports we visit. I just spent 5 weeks on the Star P. & didn't gain a pound.

I actually lost weight on my lat two crusies - between doing the "On Deck for the Cure" breast cancer walk, snorkeling, scuba diving, lots of dancing, and lots of walking in port, we were able to make up for all of the drinking beer and fruity packed with calories drinks. Lots of unintentional exercise.

On a 9 day cruise, normally I loose 2-4 pounds. On a longer cruise, usually double that. No joke. After awhile, to me, the food all starts tasting the same no matter what I order. Also, the longer the cruise, the more meals I skip, especially lunch, and even sometimes breakfast. Those meals I don't skip, I eat less and less. And definitely walk and get a lot more exercise than I do at home, which really helps a lot.

On our 2006 cruise I lost an extra 10 pounds before we left after having been told how much I'd gain on the trip. I ended up gaining 5. In 2008 I actually lost 3 pounds even though I swear we were eating every waking moment. One night we ordered room service and I got a cheeseburger, a club sandwich AND a chicken caesar salad (the burger and sandwich each came with fries too). To top it off I had a caramel flan. I was so full I thought I was going to pop!

Oops! Meant to say "In 2007" I lost 5 pounds. I haven't been on a cruise this year.....shows how much I need a vacation...I'm losing my mind!

We do the same thing as pungo - take the steps everywhere. We also eat a lot of fruit. 16 cruises and we have never gained a pound.

I am sure most people gain 5-10 pounds, which is really no big deal as long as you get back to your normal life when you return home. One good piece of advice is to eat frequent smaller meals rather than stuffing yourself at each sitting. You can still eat whatever you want but it does give your system a fighting chance if you don't overload it all at once.

And dance 'til your feet hurt each night! Dancing is fantastic exercise!

hey guy's it's me again,I will be on my cruise 4 nine days ,how much weight should i expect to gain ? how much have you past cruisers gained on your cruise?:eek: hehe

When we were on our 15 day cruise, I lost 2 lbs :), but my husband gained 5 :(. We did ALOT of walking and took stairs many times also.

yeah ,I thought about just having fruit for breakfast and probably a couple sausage btw do they have turkey sausage? and a normal lunch and dinner ( i really dont think i will eat like a pig with other people around hehe):)

I am sure most people gain 5-10 pounds, which is really no big deal as long as you get back to your normal life when you return home.

For me even 5 pounds can mean the difference between being able to button my pants and 10 means a whole new wardrobe :(

For me even 5 pounds can mean the difference between being able to button my pants and 10 means a whole new wardrobe :(

same 4 me !i will bring some fat jeans!

We did two 7 day cruises (2005, 2007) which were followed by two 7-day business trips to Germany. On both cruises I stayed about the same (+1-2 lb) but put more weight during the business trips :) The port intensive Crown Princess itinerary was a killer, and we had spent a week in Puerto Rico walking 8+ hours a day...

Apparently Germans have never heard of "I can't believe it's not butter" as every dish I got was served with a tennis ball's worth of butter and monster sized portions.

Good food tho.

I usually don't gain any weight or a cruise. I do 2 miles every day on the promenade deck and take the stairs as much as possible. We also try to eat most meals in the dining room. The portions are more controlled and smaller. My dh does visit he buffet for a snack in the afternoon and/or late in the evening. Lucky him....he never gains weight.

Just got off the CB for 9 days - gained about 5 lbs! Usually I don't gain any weight or 1-2 lbs since we try to exercise to justify the eating. I'm blaming this one on being 20 weeks pregnant!:)

If you aren't "fat" now you shouldn't worry about getting fat on the cruise. Sure if you eat till you burst and junk your regular exercise routines you'll probably gain a few lbs. Anyone who gains more then a lb / day is well... that is a scary thought to begin with :eek: :D:D

The shore excursions should help as well huh! i have seen so many photos of all the delis food and i may get wild hehe, i think i will bring an extra pair of fat jeans just in case lol!

I always wake up and use the jog track for 3 or 4 miles in the morning on cruises, ( the fitness rooms are crowded and I like being outside) as long as you run ( or fast walk) every morning and use stairs ( no elevators) you should be able to eat or drink what you want and only gain a pound or two. And keep in mind, jeans are not dress code;) lol