Will I Get FAT?

cali fashionista

The shore excursions should help as well huh! i have seen so many photos of all the delis food and i may get wild hehe, i think i will bring an extra pair of fat jeans just in case lol!

If you are sailing to the Caribbean in July...the height of the Summer..why in the world would you bring jeans, skinny or fat? Bring cool sundresses and you won't have to worry if you gain a pound or two.

Our secret to keeping the pounds off during a cruise is to walk a lot. The ship is so huge that to get from one end to the other and back is a hike. If you have anytime dining, use the aft dining room so you have to walk back to get there and then walk back to the atrium area or the theater forward for your evening entertainment. Also, stay away from the buffet. Eating in the dining room is a great way to control your portions...unless you order more than one entree at a time. Eat smart.:)

I always wake up and use the jog track for 3 or 4 miles in the morning on cruises, ( the fitness rooms are crowded and I like being outside) as long as you run ( or fast walk) every morning and use stairs ( no elevators) you should be able to eat or drink what you want and only gain a pound or two. And keep in mind, jeans are not dress code;) lol

3 or 4 miles for a person say 170 lbs is worth 400-600 calories. That is probably worthy that extra desert I'll be having each night :eek:

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm

No worries as 1lb of body fat is ~ 3500 calories or so. I figure I'm doing an extra 1000 calories a day over equalibrium during ship days so it ain't too bad :D. Its a myth that you can possible work off the extra servings you take in on a cruise daily unless you are a fitness monster and can hit the gym for an additional couple hours of intense 90% max aerobic exercise:eek: It wouldn't be vacation if i had to work that hard :D :D

I just got back yesterday from a 4 day and I gained 5 pounds. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted but didn't over do it. I ate until I was full, including desserts and drinks. We did take the stairs most of the time and went horseback riding in Cozumel. My clothes were never tight and I expect to lose it pretty quick since I am back to my normal eating habits again.

Enjoy the food but you can also burn calories on board. At times I would take the stairs instead of the elevator or I would walk around the ship a couple of times so that I could maintain my weight instead of gain.

When my wife and I go on cruises we use the gym....twice a day, everyday. We walk minimum 30 mins on the treadmill twice a day and then walk a few times around the jogging track.

It works. Keeps the weight off and I can eat pretty much what I want...and I DON'T have a "fast" metabolism. If I ate like that without the exercise, I will absolutely, positively gain weight (first cruise I took I didn't exercise and gained 9lbs in a week). After we started the "exercise regime" I haven't gained an ounce on a cruise.

It may seem like excessive exercise, but we find it really doesn't detract from anything else and doesn't take as much time as you would think "away from the day". Plus, it's good for you :)

Good Luck!

I think if you gorge yourself on everything in site, then of course you are going to gain weight...regardless if you are on a cruise or not. I'd look at the food on a cruise as something to savor and enjoy. Why have burgers and fries when you can get that everyday of the year? You have the rest of your life to eat burgers and fries!

Save your calories for the things you never get to have at home, and take little bits..eat like a queen...savor everything, eat slowly..follow the suggestions already posted about exercise, walking, etc. Food on a cruise should just complement your activities, not be the focus of your activities. Don't eat 5 lobster tails just because you paid for the cruise and want to get your money's worth, etc. Enjoy the dining experience, take your time with your meals,don't race to finish the trough.

I guess you could follow these tips whether on land or sea..M

If you're like my husband and I, your idea of exercise is walking from your room to the elevator then from the elevator to the lounge chair, with a detour at the pizza counter. We're very lazy on a cruise and eat anything we want. We usually both gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 pounds. However, we also diet a month before the cruise and lose about 10 pounds to try to make up the difference. Unless you have some serious medical problems, don't worry about your weight on a cruise. You're there to relax, have fun, and enjoy yourself.:)

Usually a pound per day for me :D :rolleyes: , except my most recent one, where we do long excursions in the desert heat, but still, I gained a few pounds in 14 days, that's much better than on previous cruises ;) . . .

• 2 weeks later...
hey guy's it's me again,I will be on my cruise 4 nine days ,how much weight should i expect to gain ? how much have you past cruisers gained on your cruise?:eek: hehe

Before I took my first cruise, frequent-cruiser mother inlaw told me to expect to gain one pound per day.

I am already an overweight person and was very concerned about this.

However, I have taken five cruises and never gained extra weight on any of them. And I never diet.

Here is how I avoid the excess wt and still enjoy the goodies:

1. Pace yourself on the goodies. Most likely, your favorite desserts will be available daily.

I limit myself to one dessert at lunch, and one at dinner.

I also like seafood and salads, so that is my meal of choice at lunch.

2. I'm not the most physically active person, but on a cruise I walk around the ship with my husband after each meal.

If you plan to walk alot on shore, that will take care of it, too.

Eat what you want; take frequent walks and swims; and have a great time!

Bon Voyage.

And if you do plan to eat a lot, bring loose clothing! Remember, it's your vacation--if you want to gain a few pounds, go right ahead, you can always take it off when you get home...though it may take a few days to get down to normal eating habits.

I have been on two cruises--my first one I didn't gain a pound, basically ate a light lunch, and big dinner. Second cruise--light lunch, light snack, and big dinner. Gained several pounds--I'm mainly blaming the drinks :)

• 2 weeks later...

We walked a lot on our cruise, and we normally took the stairs. I ate "sensibly"...yogurt, fruit and granola for every breakfast instead of eggs, french toast, etc., and salad only for every lunch. I ate whatever I wanted at dinner, and I drank more than I would at home. I gained a pound and a half.

My DH went crazy and ate everything in sight. He NEVER eats like that at home. He gained 15 pounds!:eek: He lost 8 pounds within the two weeks we were back home, because he ate normal again.

I never gain on a cruise even though I eat a lot! I always use the stairs instead of the elevators. There is quite a bit of walking to do on the ship. Keep your exercise level high and you won't have a problem.

Thank Dog for those stairs. We don't gain either thanks to running up and down the stairs all day.

Pungo3, how do you use animations? I have tried using an anim for my avatar but it "fails to load."

Archived