Baja Cruise: Elation vs Radiance of the Seas

Hello,

I am in the early stages of planning a 4 or 5 nt cruise for 2009. Due to price, length of trip and port tlocation, I have narrowed my choices down to the Elation or Radiance out of San Diego to Baja. Here is my Dillema: do I book an Oceanview on the Elation 5nt for about $400 each or spring for a balcony for $480 each on the Radiance, but lose a port and a day. What would you do?

CCL provides more bang for the buck, but the Radiance looks like a beauty, has wow factor that the Elation is lacking, and we have always wanted to get a balcony on a cruise. To complicate the issue more, I was underwhelmed by my last RCCL cruise on the Sovereign (food and service) while CCL has always been a blast and the food very good. Anyways, I tend to suffer from analysis paralysis, so I'd like the thoughts and suggestions of the community. What should I do?

I posted the same question on the CCL forum, but would also like some feedback from RCCL devotess- thanks!

I'm missing something here....Elation calls out of San Diego and goes to Mexico in 2009.

The Radiance is in South America early next year and then makes her way to Alaska. On May 11 she leaves San Diego on an 11-nighter up to Alaska.

?

Leslie

I would go with Radiance. Thats a pretty good price for a balcony. We will be booking a Radiance cruise in Sept when we are on Rhapsody. We have seen Elation and my wife has sailed on her...she's certainly a little older and I cant imagine much of a comparison to Radiance. What is the cost of the 5nt OV on Radiance

I'm missing something here....Elation calls out of San Diego and goes to Mexico in 2009.

The Radiance is in South America early next year and then makes her way to Alaska. On May 11 she leaves San Diego on an 11-nighter up to Alaska.

?

Leslie

Radiance is doing 4 and 5 night Mexico from San Diego in the fall of 2009 and spring 2010.

I've been on Elation and I don't think she was in terribly good shape when I was on her (2000) and personally I think Radiance would be a better bet.

Well she certainly didn't get much better when we were on her in 06. ;)

But she was MUCH better than Sensation. I don't think I would sail that ship for free.

I tend to suffer from analysis paralysis, so I'd like the thoughts and suggestions of the community.

:D That's funny! Now please go and book the 'Radiance of the Seas' and enjoy that gorgeous ship and your balcony!

I would certainly go with Radiance - those are really classy ships. Whereas I would not go with Carnival on any of their older class ships like Elation, Sensation, Holiday; they have not worn well and Carnival has already assigned 2 or 3 to the Australian subsidiary - renamed Pacific ____ and Pacific_____. We are taking Radiance from SanDiego to FLL through the Panama Canal in October; we have already sailed in the other three of that class - Jewel, Brilliance and Serenade.:)

Radiance is doing 4 and 5 night Mexico from San Diego in the fall of 2009 and spring 2010.

Thank you!! This sounds great, doesn't it? It is rare to have a Radiance class doing less than a 7-nighter.

To the OP---Radiance hands down!

Bon Voyage to all~~

Leslie

Thank you for all of your replies- I am leaning heavily towards the Radiance now. I saw one of these Radiance class ships in Costa Maya once and was like "WOW!!!!" It was a gorgeous ship- We were on the Grand Princess and wish I could have swapped over.

Thank you for all of your replies- I am leaning heavily towards the Radiance now. I saw one of these Radiance class ships in Costa Maya once and was like "WOW!!!!" It was a gorgeous ship- We were on the Grand Princess and wish I could have swapped over.

Good idea!! The Radiance Class is just beautiful :D

The adult solarium

2766080100049105042S425x425Q85.jpg

2175814990049105042S425x425Q85.jpg

###

Radiance! Radiance! Radiance! As you can see, we are booked on the Elation in Feb 2010 ONLY because Radiance will be in South America at that time. :eek: DD is insistant that she gets married in Feb 2010 or else we would definitely be on the Radiance. Hands down, no doubt about it - no matter what the price difference was. Even if SHE wanted to get married on the Elation, we would leave after the wedding and hop on the Radiance without her - if she were going to be anywhere NEAR Southern California at that time. :D :p

When we were on the Jewel (near-twin of Radiance) in Costa Maya, the Queen Mary 2 and the Fantasy were docked with us. I swear that the passengers on the Fantasy were walking with their heads down, LOL.

Just from the outside I wouldn't book Fantasy or any of her siblings if I had an alternative. The Radiance class are, IMHO, the most gorgeous ships in the RCI fleet, and are some of the prettiest ships afloat. We've been on all 4 of that class and Radiance comes in second only to Jewel.

I guess I'd say book Radiance.:D

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this response, so I'm going to don my flame-retardant suit as soon as I'm done typing.

First of all, I LOVE Carnival (look at my cruise history and you'll see that I've sailed on Carnival exclusively during the last 4 years). However, I have some friends who sailed on the Elation a few weeks ago and they said that the fellow passengers left a lot to be desired (some may have read my post about a group of passengers with a boombox and coolers in the pool area). My friends said that although they enjoyed the cruise, these passengers along with other passengers that they came across during their 5 day cruise prevented them from enjoying the cruise as much as they would've with their behavior, dining room etiquette, and overall rudeness.

I know that anybody can find bad behavior, terrible ettiquette, or rudeness on ANY cruise or cruise line, but the price that a sailing commands many times determines the type of fellow passengers that you will find onboard. With that said, if the Radiance is more money for less days, chances are that you will also find a group of passengers on this ship that are looking for something more than the absolute cheapest cruise experience.

Looking back at all the cruises that I've taken on Carnival, the worst cruise I ever took was on the Sensation, which coincidentally, was the cheapest one we've ever taken. With that said, cheaper is not always better.

About your experience on the Sovereign, comparing it to the Radiance will be like comparing the Fantasy to the Spirit. Same cruise line, different product.

I would do the Radiance, especially if you're someone who enjoys the comfort of a balcony stateroom. Although people have their opinion about spending extra on a stateroom, you should pick the type of stateroom that you will be happy with (within your budget). If I could have a balcony for only $80 more pp, I would take it even if it means sailing for one day less. Just my opinion....

I've been on Elation and I don't think she was in terribly good shape when I was on her (2000) and personally I think Radiance would be a better bet.

We sailed her in 2001 just before 9/11, and we thought she was in great shape. I really enjoy the Fantasy class ships, they are my current favorite in the Carnival fleet, none of which have been transferred to another line. Those would be the Holiday class, and the singular Tropicale class. Just as RCI has moved theirs around. I have heard that the Sensation is kinda run down, I hope they turn that around with the extensive drydock schedule for the Fantasy class ships.

Someone mentioned the Solarium.. yeah that is gorgeous and unfortunately Carnival does not have anything like it... maybe someday.

Also I posted this on the other thread, and thought I would copy it here...

Well I have sailed the Elation, and I really enjoyed her. I have also sailed a Radiance class vessel, and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. The reason why I ended up choosing the Radiance in Oct 2009 over the Elation was due to balcony availability. I wanted a good priced Balcony, and Radiance was only $599 for the 5 day vs $839 for the Elation since you have to get a Category 11 to have a balcony. Had I been choosing an inside or oceanview, I would have went with Carnival. OV on CCL was 399 and inside 339... OV on Radiance was 499, inside 399. Neither one in my opinion provides something so much better, that I would choose to pay that much of a higher price for virtually the same itinerary.

Whatever you choose, you will have a great time.

Archived