Teach Snorkeling to non-swimmers

gram4haley

I am told that a non-swimmer can go snorkeling. Is there anywhere in Bermuda that teaches snorkeling to non-swimmers? What is the best beach for a beginner? Can you rent the gear there?

I'm not an expert, but I have snorkeled lots of times in the past. I guess the answer depends on how you define "non-swimmer." If you're able to tread water, you should be okay.

If you book your excursion through the cruise line, the excursion description will tell you if training is included. Those will also include equipment. If you are on your own, I'm sure you'll be able to rent equipment easily. Ask about lessons when you call.

If you're satisfied floating on the surface and simply looking down at the fish and coral, there's no reason you can't wear a floatation vest. That, along with the flippers, will have you moving along nicely.

Hope that's helpful.

I think that if you wear a floating vest and flippers like the previous poster said you will be fine. I have only went snorkeling twice and plan on doing it alone from the beach (renting stuff). You can see plenty just floating on top of the water. It's lots of fun, thinking of also doing an excursion that takes you snorkeling and to another beach to lay out or whatever. Have fun!!!:D

Snorkel Park at the West End has rental equipment and is right near the dock. There are also a number of other things to do there.

As long as you can float (with or without a vest) you can snorkel. In fact, you don't even need to use the snorkel, just use the mask. Some people don't like the feeling of breathing through the tube. Float and stick your "masked" face in the water.

Also, with the summer approaching one could practice at the pool.

Hints:

When you put your mask on, don't let any hair get stuck under the rim of the mask, even facial hair will break the seal and allow water into the mask. My brother had to shave his beard because of this problem.

Once the mask is on, suck in through your nose to create the seal.

get a snorkel that has a water flow valve...or whatever it is called. There are some that have an "easy clear valve" that allows you to clear the water easier. There are some that are called semi-dry that allow less water in. There is also a snorkel doesn't allow any water in at all.

Snorkelling, believe it or not, is swimming. If you can't swim then you shouldn't assume that you'll be okay snorkelling. If you do decide to go then you should wear a vest and not one of those inflatable vests because there's a chance it can deflate and leave you, the non-swimmer in a situation where swimming skills would come in handy.

NCL requires everyone to wear an inflatable vest. But I personally think if you can't swim at all---go to your local Y and learn before hand. Vest slip off, they fail and you really don't want to be not be able to swim at all.....

There's really not too much to teach about snorkeling other than remembering to breath through your mouth and how to clear the breathing tube. The main thing is knowing how to swim.

That being said, if the OP wants to try it, they could go to Tobacco Bay which has a semi-enclosed area with shallow water where they could walk around and put their face in the water with the mask. Won't see any of the big fish, lots of little ones though, and have a "sort of" snorkeling experience. Rentals are available there, forget the fins, won't need them.:)

Isn't Snorkel Park fairly shallow??

Also what about Jobson's Cove? It looked enclosed with the rocks and very shallow. They mention it is a good place for kids to snorkel, so I'm guessing they are referring to the "less experienced" swimmer.

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Attractions/bermuda_attractions_beaches_jobson_cove.html

sorry if I gave anyone the impression to go snorkeling in an unsafe manner. I was thinking along the lines of shallow areas (stand up) and just wanted to let the OP know that you don't have to miss out on the beauty of snorkeling.

I've gone snorkeling several times and I can't swim at all. All of these have been group excursions and the tour operators make you wear a vest whether you're Mark Spitz or like me. I'm not sure if I would have tried it at a place like Tobacco Bay or the Snorkel Park where you just rent the equipment and are on your own. But I've had no problem where it was a "supervised" outing.

Snorkelling, believe it or not, is swimming. If you can't swim then you shouldn't assume that you'll be okay snorkelling. If you do decide to go then you should wear a vest and not one of those inflatable vests because there's a chance it can deflate and leave you, the non-swimmer in a situation where swimming skills would come in handy.

bdaguy....you're back!!! or are you just posting from somewhere else??? You were on vacation weren't you???

DH loves snorkeling, he loved Church Bay and we plan to return. What are you're thoughts on Tobacco Bay for more advanced snorkelers?

DH loves snorkeling, he loved Church Bay and we plan to return. What are you're thoughts on Tobacco Bay for more advanced snorkelers?

Tobacco Bay can be a rewarding experience, but after Church Bay it might be a disappointment. CB is definitely for advanced snorkellers while TB is great for beginners. If you can only go once, pick CB, but if you're already in St Georges, then snorkelling at TB shouldn't be missed. If you book all your own excursions then you can use the money you saved to go on a shipwreck snorkel trip - the ultimate in Bermuda snorkelling.

Thanks for the advice. We'll be there for 3 days. One of the days we will be going to CB. I was wondering if we should skip Tobacco Bay and do an excursion instead.

The shipwreck sounds great, but my very mood ds-17 won't go near wrecks. I'm not sure why, he loves to read about them, but he won't snorkel near them.

Any other suggestions for a snorkel trip????

You mean on their excursions correct???

no only when they are on a snorkeling excursion.-the subject of this thread- They also require everyone to wear it when snorkeling at their private Island.-excursion or no

no only when they are on a snorkeling excursion.-the subject of this thread- They also require everyone to wear it when snorkeling at their private Island.-excursion or no

not to be picky, but isn't that what I said?

Or perhaps you misunderstood and thought I meant all of NCL excursions? I was referring to snorkeling excursions.

To clear up my post..I meant they require you to wear a vest on the NCL excursions (snorkeling of course) as opposed to snorkeling on your own or with an private tour. When we were in Cozumel, we did an outside excursion and we were given the option of wearing a vest.

Now in regards to the subject of the thread, non-swimmers would of course wear a vest while snorkeling.

I am not much of a swimmer... I was afraid that I would not be able to snorkel and that it would be scary! I was mistaken! It was not hard and I didn't swallow any water! I might invest in a vest (!) sometime although I did not need one at all for the snorkeling I have done.

Archived