American Airlines making reducing/changing flights

gdpups

I just got the following from AA's Website. If you have flights booked to/from San Juan I'd check them because they are already making changes!

"AA Reaccommodates Customers Impacted By Schedule Reductions "

Skyrocketing Fuel Costs and Softening Economy Drive Changes

FORT WORTH , Texas – AMR Corp. today announced the first round of reductions to its flight schedule as part of its previously announced plans to reduce capacity in an effort to significantly reduce costs and create a more sustainable supply-and-demand balance in the market. The actions come in the face of skyrocketing fuel prices and a softening economy.

The initial changes to the flight schedule include, but are not limited to:

Discontinuing its Chicago – Buenos Aires service effective Sept. 3.

Discontinuing its Chicago – Honolulu service Jan. 5, 2009. Between September 3, 2008, and Jan. 5, 2009, American will operate Chicago – Honolulu service only on peak demand days.

Discontinuing its Boston – San Diego service effective Sept. 3.

Restructuring American and American Eagle operations at San Juan, Puerto Rico beginning in September. This round of reductions will affect American and American Eagle flights originating from San Juan to the United States and various islands in the Caribbean.

Customers impacted by the schedule changes will be contacted starting next week and re-accommodated on alternative flights.))))))))))

American Airlines/American Eagle will discontinue the following routes from/to San Juan effective September 3, 2008. This will bring down the number of daily flights from/to San Juan from 93 to 51.

San Juan-Fort Lauderdale

San Juan-Orlando

San Juan-Newark

San Juan-Los Angeles

San Juan-St. Maarten (will be served by American Eagle)

San Juan-Antigua (will be served by American Eagle)

San Juan-Santo Domingo (will be served by American Eagle)

San Juan-Aruba

San Juan-Baltimore

San Juan-Washington DC

San Juan-Samana

American Airlines/American Eagle will discontinue the following routes from/to San Juan effective September 3, 2008. This will bring down the number of daily flights from/to San Juan from 93 to 51.

San Juan-Fort Lauderdale

San Juan-Orlando

San Juan-Newark

San Juan-Los Angeles

San Juan-St. Maarten (will be served by American Eagle)

San Juan-Antigua (will be served by American Eagle)

San Juan-Santo Domingo (will be served by American Eagle)

San Juan-Aruba

San Juan-Baltimore

San Juan-Washington DC

San Juan-Samana

Hi where did you get this info. I don't see it on there website.

It's in the local paper www.endi.com. As you can imagine, this is big news here. It's not like we have that many options to leave the island. Their changes will have a tremendous impact on our tourism-related economy. The cuts and fare increases affect not just people who fly here for cruises, but also the business and convention markets, which are/were significant sources of revenue.

I've been a loyal AA customer for years, but from now on they will be last on my list when it comes to flying.

They're also cutting back 400 jobs on AA and more on American Eagle.

This really upsets me. I have already booked direct flights to and from San Juan for our November cruise. when you look on their website those flights are no longer available for sale so I am assuming that they will be dropped and we will be rescheduled which will add much more time to our travel. Also we booked these flights before they implemented the baggage fees. If we re schedule with them will they now charge us for our first and second bags? I am really ready to throw in the towel and cruise closer to home. This is really making me sick!:mad:

I was on your flight...I was told it is off the board since it will be zapped....it was the perfect time for me leaving at 8:05AM JFK and arriving San Juan 12:55PM...now I think they want to put me on a flight before that leaving around 620AM...that means getting to the airport by 5AM the latest and leaving the house by 430AM the latest...CRAZY! I am seriously thinking about cancelling my cruise!

Same here. I'm booked out of Washington Dullas and yesterday my flight disappeared. When I called AA they said it had been sold out. I said, but I can see over half the seats are empty, but they insisted it was sold out. I'm now waiting for them to call. I found a direct flight out of Phila I want them to put me on.

Yep San Juan is going to feel the pinch. This is our last cruise that we will need to fly to. Between the restrictions, baggage charges, etc, etc. I am also ready to throw in the towel. I have a cruise booked next June for europe, but I am sure it is a matter of time before I cancel. The airfare for a couple of weeks before we leave is already about $1900.00 for the two of us. I had budgeted about $1000.00.

I don't know what the answer is, but something needs to give and soon!

Same here. I'm booked out of Washington Dullas and yesterday my flight disappeared. When I called AA they said it had been sold out. I said, but I can see over half the seats are empty, but they insisted it was sold out. I'm now waiting for them to call. I found a direct flight out of Phila I want them to put me on.

Yep San Juan is going to feel the pinch. This is our last cruise that we will need to fly to. Between the restrictions, baggage charges, etc, etc. I am also ready to throw in the towel. I have a cruise booked next June for europe, but I am sure it is a matter of time before I cancel. The airfare for a couple of weeks before we leave is already about $1900.00 for the two of us. I had budgeted about $1000.00.

They told me the same thing this morning, that there system was showing th flight from BWI to SJU straight, as sold out. I insisted this was not true since I could cleary see online that there were seats available when you look to simply check available seats, but if you actually tried to book it that flight was not available. What really upset me was that they had not real info. If you are going to change my flight just tell me so I can make arrangements. UGH! I am SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING canceling my cruise. I am so over it. The airlines are driving me crazy. We are already looking at cruises out of NY just in case we have to cancel. The olny sad part is the cruise from San Juan has some great ports that I have never been too.

Very aggravating for all :( . I'm sorry to hear that some of you are considering cancelling, but I can totally see your reasons. The loss of the SJU-IAD nonstop is particularly painful for me because I used it several times a year. :(

On the flip side, DH and I had been thinking of doing a Western Caribbean or Canal cruise in Jan, but now we're back to looking at ships leaving from San Juan. We've already been on 6 eastern/southern Carib cruises and we're ready for a change of scenery (well, Alaska is up next, :cool: coming up in July) but I can't see spending hundreds of dollars on airfare to FL or TX.

Hear hear!

They told me the same thing this morning, that there system was showing th flight from BWI to SJU straight, as sold out. I insisted this was not true since I could cleary see online that there were seats available when you look to simply check available seats, but if you actually tried to book it that flight was not available. What really upset me was that they had not real info. If you are going to change my flight just tell me so I can make arrangements. UGH! I am SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING canceling my cruise. I am so over it. The airlines are driving me crazy. We are already looking at cruises out of NY just in case we have to cancel. The olny sad part is the cruise from San Juan has some great ports that I have never been too.

Just want to tell you that Phila has one direct flight. I got the info so when AA finally does call, I can say "how about the flight from Phila". I don't know where you live but if you are like me there is no airport that is close. So I pick the one (within driving distance for the cheapest price)BWI, IAD etc. I always need to stay the night before since I have to cross the Bay bridge no matter what and that is also unpredictable!

If we can't get this direct flight from Phila, as much as I like to cruise out of San Juan, we will cancel. When I looked at the flights our 3.5 hour flight becomes a minium of 6.5 hrs:eek: And that is if we are able to get on one of the lesser flights. The other flights were 9.5 and 12.5 hrs. I flew to Zurich Switzerland in less time!

I am sick of this whole mess. I just don't understand how after you sell seats on a plane you can just decide to cancel the flight! I sure wish my mortgage company and or electric company would just accept that even though I wrote them a check, then canceled it they should not forclose and or turn off my electric!

This trip has one silver lining. I did not bid on Price line for my hotel. Thought I would wait and see so at least I am not out that. I also have not taken trip insurance yet also wait and see.

It is becoming a thing where it is toooo iffy to plan these trips way in advance. There are toooo many things that seem to happen between the time you book and the time it is time to go.

I'm pretty angry at AA right now between the 1st piece of baggage charge and the cancelation of these routes. I am (was?) a loyal customer for the past 20 years and will still have to fly them for my January cruise out of Acapulco, but I'm gonna start using up my miles and start looking at other airlines.

If there is a silver lining to all of this then it is that possibly other competitors will begin to fill the void being created here and we (PR) won't basically be at American Airline's mercy anymore...

yes its true no direct flights to san juan from newark i booked back in april and now it says im conformed but i have to get my seats from ticket agents AND that my flight NO LONGER EXIST!!!!!!!!!! %$#@!!!:mad:

Well I just got of the phone with AA. there is a message on my reservation that it had been changed. Went from a 3.5 hr flight to a 6.5 hrs flight both ways:( I couldn't not take the phila flight as I would need to change the date and that wasn't allowed. I love San Juan, but I am sure this will be our last trip. 3.5 hrs each way is bad enough but 6.5 is going to be waaay toooo much for us.

When I looked at the new routes it amazing 11, 12 17 hrs. Now who would pick such routes?

I am hoping good luck for all on CC that will need to change their flights. What a mess!

thanks so much for this thread! my non-stop from Boston got cancelled. I checked the automated number and it still had us on that flight so I called AA to be sure, and was changed to an earlier non-stop. I was told that the automated flight status can not read the changes yet!

thanks again for the heads up

well people you, have to start looking to fly with differents airlines! American its not the only one flying to san juan..from newark ( continental) from phily ( usa air) and from Dulles ( United)...from orlando (Spirit, Jet Blue and Airtran), from Ft. luderdele ( spirit)! and all of them have better service that American! ..I think very soon we will have other mayor airline flying to san juan..American has a monoply here for years it is time to change that!

You don't know how lucky you are. There never was a direct flight from St. Louis that I could find. I flight has a lay over in Miami so I am hoping our flight in October is safe. If not as long as they get us there I am fine. That is why we gave ourself the extra day.

You don't know how lucky you are. There never was a direct flight from St. Louis that I could find. I flight has a lay over in Miami so I am hoping our flight in October is safe. If not as long as they get us there I am fine. That is why we gave ourself the extra day.

I remember TWA good old days! when they had a NON stop form SJU/STL.

ok so here i am at 3:00am changing my flight and i got it from a 3 hr flight to a 6 hr flight plus changing in Miami which I HOPE when i get home customs didns't "F" me up!!!

well now the adventure begins and it is not even 2009!!!:mad:

We are going on Celebrity on Jan 10 and were flying down from Newark on Jan 8 and spending 2 nights there. We were going on Americans only non stop instead of Continental because of their lower fare-When they changed today to a non direct flight we called them and told them the only reason we wanted that flight was for non stop and we wanted a refund-I was shocked-they gave it to us immediately

We then rebooked on Continental which has 5 non stops in each direction

I cancelled my American Airlines flights to and from San Juan and will cancel my Adventure of the Seas cruise tomorrow when the cruise desk is open. I will get all of my money back from American Airlines even though it was a non-refundable ticket since they pushed back my departure time almost 4 hours!

So, I booked a cruise out of Miami...not as nice as far as itinerary goes but far more convenient to get there and I used some of my Delta mileage to book my air transportation for FREE and am going First Class!

Good Luck to you all with your American Airlines issues!

We are going on Celebrity on Jan 10 and were flying down from Newark on Jan 8 and spending 2 nights there. We were going on Americans only non stop instead of Continental because of their lower fare-When they changed today to a non direct flight we called them and told them the only reason we wanted that flight was for non stop and we wanted a refund-I was shocked-they gave it to us immediately

We then rebooked on Continental which has 5 non stops in each direction

Congrats..! see you just have to ask for a refund! and re-book with another airline on a non stop flight!

margincall.... how much did you get the tickets for?..cause when i went to see the prices for the flights.. it was $1500.00 more for 2 adults!!! i got my tickets for 527.00 r/t nonstop on AA BUT now that has changed but my fare is still the same. if i was to get a refund i would have to dish out more..i guess i'll just deal with the flights! :o

margincall.... how much did you get the tickets for?..cause when i went to see the prices for the flights.. it was $1500.00 more for 2 adults!!! i got my tickets for 527.00 r/t nonstop on AA BUT now that has changed but my fare is still the same. if i was to get a refund i would have to dish out more..i guess i'll just deal with the flights! :o

Same here when I booked non-stop IAD - Sju with the rt also non stop the fares were 248.50 pp. Even if I get a refund where am I going to get rt-non stop from anywhere to sju for $248.50 pp?

It really saddens me that this is happening. We have two friends coming from across the country meeting up with us in San Juan for this cruise and that is the only reason that we are not canceling! If they weren't coming I would have cancelled and rebooked on a cruise out of somewhere in Florida. I would sooner drive than fly anymore!

Luckily I had some heads up before they notify other passengers and was able to switch our nonstop from newark to sju to a nonstop from jfk which works better for us...but the ---- will really hit the fan when all of the other passengers are notified. I have been trying to spread the word. Looks like tomorrow, June 2, is the day the emails go out.

Archived