Welcome to Tightwad Cruising - What Do You Do?

On 11/5/2018 at 8:45 AM, Semi Retired said:

I frequent groupon and living social (the latter will have free tickets too ) use viator also for my discounted excursions.

The local chamber of commerce or tourism bureau may also post discounts on their websites.  The tourism bureau will frequently have information about special events on their website. 

7 hours ago, kruzns4me said:

agreed - wish the teen girls did the same!

Making my kids schlep their own bags was a painful (but necessary) way to convert them to packing light and one-bag travel, even as teenagers. Like, you can take the four pairs of shoes, but how much do they weigh

• Like 3

17 hours ago, kruzns4me said:

what online TA's do you get emails from?

Well per CC rules I cannot divulge here. 

But truly, google online TAs & you will see who I check out--get on their mailing lists! 

Plus each cruise line.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:02 AM, SimplyMarvie said:

Making my kids schlep their own bags was a painful (but necessary) way to convert them to packing light and one-bag travel, even as teenagers. Like, you can take the four pairs of shoes, but how much do they weigh

When  travel with my grandchildren, they have to carry their bag and mine too.  (I don't take them until they are 12-13 and old enough to pack, cut up their own food, and take care of their own personal hygiene)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grandmaR said:

When  travel with my grandchildren, they have to carry their bag and mine too.  (I don't take them until they are 12-13 and old enough to pack, cut up their own food, and take care of their own personal hygiene)

This is wise... 🙂 My oldest is just 13 and I'd really love to have a personal sherpa on our next trip. Although, he's been traveling for so long that he's probably too spoiled (and too clever... he'd just spit my "You packed it, you carry it!" mantra back at me!)

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2019 at 6:29 PM, grandmaR said:

Independent.  I would never book with a cruise line agent.  They do not have any incentive to help you.

Occasionally we have been offered the best  deals directly from cruise line for segments (ocean and river)  immediately pre/post cruise dates. 

Discussed how prices offered elsewhere seemed vastly different from direct booking with an agent, especially when I click on last minute pricing and it takes me to a higher price.

She responded:

1. The come on price is most likely "Live Pricing" (best price at an independent at the moment).

2. Company agents are restricted by what they can display online but if I see a better price to call her directly as they usually have better offers they can't advertise openly.

• Like 2

Would have been fun to join in, but then the first line on the op had to be political:

Not because the economy is "weak" or gas prices have "skyrocketed" - most of which has been conjured up by the left-wing media - ...”  

The question didn’t need that part little barb thrown in, this isn’t a political forum (as much as some people can’t stop thinking or talking about it, this honestly isn’t the place for it). Couldn’t we just talk cruising without starting out by tossing our insults or slurs? I guess not.

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, 2Beeze said:

Would have been fun to join in, but then the first line on the op had to be political:

Not because the economy is "weak" or gas prices have "skyrocketed" - most of which has been conjured up by the left-wing media - ...”  

The question didn’t need that part little barb thrown in, this isn’t a political forum (as much as some people can’t stop thinking or talking about it, this honestly isn’t the place for it). Couldn’t we just talk cruising without starting out by tossing our insults or slurs? I guess not.

Look at the date of the original post and you may recall the doom and gloom of ALL of the media at the time. Regardless of the OP's opening, I have found this to be one of the most valuable threads on CC.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 7:06 PM, WAMarathoner said:

We fly separately. It started when the kids were young and was a "just in case" measure. Now, with baggage fees, I fly the cheapo airline that doesn't let you carry bags. dh flies Southwest and carries my luggage with his. No baggage charges. Sometimes he'll mystery shop the flight and get half his fare refunded in exchange for a one-hour report. More money to spend on the things that matter. Plus, I'm not very fun to fly with (fidgit-er) so it works out.

This is an awesome idea - who would have thought? 

• Like 4

On 3/25/2018 at 9:06 PM, WAMarathoner said:

We fly separately. It started when the kids were young and was a "just in case" measure. Now, with baggage fees, I fly the cheapo airline that doesn't let you carry bags. dh flies Southwest and carries my luggage with his. No baggage charges. Sometimes he'll mystery shop the flight and get half his fare refunded in exchange for a one-hour report. More money to spend on the things that matter. Plus, I'm not very fun to fly with (fidgit-er) so it works out.

What does it mean to mystery shop a flight? 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/6/2008 at 5:59 PM, cruiserbryce said:

I have always thought that the extra cost is worth the insurance of not being left behind if the tour runs a little over

The private tours are well aware of when the ship leaves port.  Have never had one run a little over.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 6:02 AM, Souljourner said:

What does it mean to mystery shop a flight? 

One company is SQM.CA.  They shop several different airlines.  In exchange for a 50% discount (in the form of reimbursement after you turn in the report), you fill out a report.  The report takes about an hour (or less), and covers things that you mostly would notice anyway.  You're looking for employees that do things right -- smile and call you forward in a friendly manner even though the line is 100 people long, correctly charged, weighing bags (you might have to bring one over by 5lbs to see if they catch it), use of humor, offering a credit card on some flights, taking special care of children/elderly, waiting for verbal responses to the exit row question, etc.  The first one can be nerve-wracking, but then they're easy.  I've done many.

One thing I've noticed that has changed for the better since the shopping program started (don't know for certain that's the reason why) is that gate agents are very careful about family boarding not displacing A-listers; also people trying to board a whole group because their suddenly-mobility-impaired mother "needs assistance."

Too bad we can't mystery shop the pervs who grope you through (in)security.

Edited by WAMarathoner
punctuation
  • Like 2

I have always thought that the extra cost is worth the insurance of not being left behind if the tour runs a little over.

Many of the non-affiliated tour companies provide insurance/guarantees to get you back to the ship on time now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3 Price advantages that work for us:
On-board hair salon is still less expensive than what my Canadian salon charges for the Keratin treatment. CAD is $250 plus tip, on Emerald Princess was USD $119 and was expertly

done.

A Photograph is a good value, once every four or five cruises, especially on formal nights to choose from multiple backdrops. The quality of the finishing too is excellent, I find. No pressure to buy anything though, if you don’t like. No studio fee.
Canadian liquor limit is 1.5 litres of wine or 1.14 litres of spirits. The duty free on board still works out good for us. Less than $40 US for a litre of Grey Goose so even with currency exchange its bargain, if you don’t have a suite case weight issue. It’s extra $18 CAD in duty for every litre over the limit and often customs waives duty on small overages.

Just some reassurance that there is good value to be had on the ship. 

Edited by tipofthehook