Prepaid gratuities?

I'd like to get some feedback on any experiences with prepaid gratuities. I was checking for cruise deals and came across a well known online discounter that was promoting prepaid gratuities for RCCL cruises. The actual cruise price was the same as advertised with RCCL and all other cruise websites. On paper, this sounds like a great deal- what are your experiences? How does it work? I've seen others mention it in other posts. Should I jump at the chance?

Thanks!

I'd like to get some feedback on any experiences with prepaid gratuities. I was checking for cruise deals and came across a well known online discounter that was promoting prepaid gratuities for RCCL cruises. The actual cruise price was the same as advertised with RCCL and all other cruise websites. On paper, this sounds like a great deal- what are your experiences? How does it work? I've seen others mention it in other posts. Should I jump at the chance?

Thanks!

Only if you are absolutely sure this is a reputable agent!

I just prepaid my gratuities last night. It was the only way they allowed the MY TIME dining. I figure I'm going to pay the tips either in cash in an envelope at the end of the cruise to all the different people or can go ahead and pre pay them. I paid over the phone with the RCCL agent. So I hope all is well.

I was told this does not include bell boys or room service.

Sorry, don't have an answer for you, but I was hoping for some clarification as well. I just transferred our booking to a TA, (yes, a large reputable one) and one of the "deals" they were offering was prepaid gratuities.

I would like to hear from someone who has also taken advantage of this. Do they show up as on OBC? or is it a different line item on your folio? If it is different, how can I verify that I have indeed received the prepaid gratuities?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, don't have an answer for you, but I was hoping for some clarification as well. I just transferred our booking to a TA, (yes, a large reputable one) and one of the "deals" they were offering was prepaid gratuities.

I would like to hear from someone who has also taken advantage of this. Do they show up as on OBC? or is it a different line item on your folio? If it is different, how can I verify that I have indeed received the prepaid gratuities?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

How is prepaying your gratuities a "deal"? Are you going to pay less than if you pay on board? Does that mean the intended recipients of the gratuities get short changed (no pun intended)? I like to pay my gratuities in cash on the last night. It gives me the opportunity to thank the person face to face and by handing them cash, I know they got the money.

Early in our cruise activities, I was not aware of this benefit. However I have taken advantage of prepaid-gratuities on 3 previous cruises. It depends on the specific agent and their financial position as to how it is documented. In the first instance, it was an OBC that did not show in my statement, but I had a letter (email) from the TA and when I did board, it was there on my account the first day. I understand this practice has been stopped as the OBC can be use for almost anything. In the other two instances (each with a different TA) one did put the OBC notation on my final payment statement and one did not, rather simply noting the value as a credit value in my final payment statement. In the first instance, I used the OBC and paid the gratuities in cash - in the other two, the prepaid slips were furnished with the envelopes on the last evening of the cruise - to which I added appropriate cash for excellent services by specific personnel.

I ALWAYS hold onto my reservation until just a few days before final payment. In that way I can communicate directly with RCCL regarding my reservation, cabin changes, dinner time, price reductions, etc. - since once the reservation is with a TA, the RCCL and C&A reps will not even talk to you about it as everything must be done by the TA. However, once you make final payment, it cannot be changed to a TA or changed back to RCCL.

Ken, you posted while I was preparing my response. The 'deal' is that everyone pays the cruise price without discount. (Well - almost - there are things like C&A discount coupons, state of residence discounts, etc.) However some TA's will provide the pre-paid gratuities as an incentive since they are not allowed to reduce the cost of the fare. This amounts to $9.75 per day per person.

The deal is that the TA pays the gratuities- they don't come out of my pocket. How it's promoted: "Sail to the Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe and More! Enjoy countless adventures on every beautiful island you visit. Receive FREE GRATUITIES...."

I won't name the comany since I don't see this as a forum to advertise any certain cruise seller.

How is prepaying your gratuities a "deal"? Are you going to pay less than if you pay on board? Does that mean the intended recipients of the gratuities get short changed (no pun intended)? I like to pay my gratuities in cash on the last night. It gives me the opportunity to thank the person face to face and by handing them cash, I know they got the money.

I think they mean that the TA is going to pay the gratuities for them as a perk iwhen you book your cruise with them.

RCCL does not allow anyone to discount their cruises. This is a "perk" that a travel agent can give you for booking through them. I have done it before. Sometimes you will get an OBC, other times prepaid gratuities and if you're really lucky, both! You gratuities will be prepaid by the travel agent (usually worth about $10/day per person). When your gratuities are prepaid (either by you or someone else), on the night before disembarkation you will receive a voucher to be put in the appropriate envelope to show that you prepaid. You always have the option of adding to that amount (we always do if we've been given good service) and then you hand it to your server, room attendant, etc. that evening.

When I go onto RCCL and check my reservation, it shows that my gratuities have been added. The amount you pay for your cruise can never be less than the amount on RCCL's website. The price can change though. Check frequently and request a change (through the booking agent) if the price decreases. I hope this answers your question.

I was told this does not include bell boys or room service.

I'm told this does include room service but i always tip an extra dollar. I've never seen or heard of bellboys on a ship, please clarify?

Archived