Which domestic airline

Gma&Gpa

We need to book to Miami for February 09. However, there are so many issues these days with airlines - safety issues, solvency issues, etc. - how do we possibly pick one this far out and feel good about it? If we wait - the price just seems to be going up and up. But it won't do us much good to book for a "decent" price and then end up having our flight cancelled due to an airline bankruptcy or massive cancellation of flights. Even if we take the airline's "insurance" - I doubt that will protect us from those kinds of issues.

Any suggestions on how to know WHO to book with and how soon?

While the airline-sold insurance may not protect you in the event of liquidation, many of the private travel insurance companies will do so as long as the airline does not declare bankruptcy within several days of your buying the policy.

These days, hard to know which airline to go with and at what point to hit the "buy" button. We bought our December air on American a week or so ago, and it's already gone up some $50/person. As the year marches on and fuel prices continue to climb I personally do not see airfare dropping significantly. I'd also bet on at least one bankruptcy by year-end, but I've no clue which arrier.

AirTran. #1 in service among all domestics. #1 in baggage handling. Financially sound. Good pricing. Very young fleet. Second checked bag is only $10. Get on their email sale list.

We have used AirTran often, and in fact are using it to go to Orlando for our Mariner cruise in Sept.

But a flight from Richmond to Miami - everythign has a pretty LONG stopover, and what can be a 2 hour trip - all of them are currently showing 6 or more hours. And - right now, the prices are not very good at all.

I'm hoping that there are more AirTran flights available as it gets closer - but right now, it's certainly not reasonable, either timewise or $$wise

Most airlines will not be able to continue flying if they go bankrupt. They sold, used up, and encumbered most of their assets recovering from previous bankruptcies. Also creditors, courts, and laws a a lot more restrictive to Chapter 11.

Most airlines will not be able to continue flying if they go bankrupt. They sold, used up, and encumbered most of their assets recovering from previous bankruptcies. Also creditors, courts, and laws a a lot more restrictive to Chapter 11.

Among the current legacy airlines, who has NOT filed bankruptcy before? Only AA, afaik. All others have filed, some several times. All of them are still flying as of now, and have not stopped flying while they were in bankruptcy.

UA was in bankruptcy between Dec 2001 and Feb 2006, DL was between Sept 2006 and Apr 2007, NW went into bankruptcy one day after DL and out in May 2007, CO has gone into bankruptcy 2 times.

Only time will tell, what might happen this go round, should anyone among them files Chapter 11 again. One thing we do know is, Chapter 11 is nothing new to the US Airline industry.

We have used AirTran often, and in fact are using it to go to Orlando for our Mariner cruise in Sept.

But a flight from Richmond to Miami - everythign has a pretty LONG stopover, and what can be a 2 hour trip - all of them are currently showing 6 or more hours. And - right now, the prices are not very good at all.

I'm hoping that there are more AirTran flights available as it gets closer - but right now, it's certainly not reasonable, either timewise or $$wise

Did you figure Newport News in when looking at Airtran. Its just down 64.

AirTran also does non stop to Ft Lauderdale from Newport News, then you can make your way to Miami on your own.

I assume you are doing the smart thing and going down the day before so this should'nt be a problem.

Archived