Canary Islands In January

KillaFee

Hello! I see that the Brilliance of the Seas will be making the Canaries part of her winter run for the next two years so I'm wondering what the weather is like there that time of year. Is it beach weather or what? I'd love to go because the prices are not bad and our anniversary is in January and if the weather was similar to the Caribbean that time of year then it would be a great new experience! Any info would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Laura

I'm not sure it's Caribbean weather, but it is warm all year round - but hotter in the summer months. The Canaries are known for the wind although this is usually quite welcome to keep the temperature comfortable and avoids the heat becoming oppressive.

From the UK, it's a favourite destination in the winter months for holidays to get some winter sunshine. We've been in late November/early December and January and it's been lovely. The main difference is that you will probably need a cardigan/jumper in the evenings at this time of year as it does get a little cooler and of course, it gets dark earlier in the winter too.

The Canaries are worth a visit, but if possible try to get a trip which includes Madeira too. Although not one of the Canary Islands it is geographically close and cruises from the UK usually include it with their Canaries itineraries. Madeira is fabulous and if you are in that part of the world, it would be a shame not to go there. It is very lush and famous for the flowers growing there - and of course there's the cable car and tobaggon ride in Funchal. It's a lovely contrast to the Canaries.

If you do decide to go, I'm sure you will find the Canaries very interesting and varied in their character. Some highlights for me would be the volcano visits in Tenerife or Lanzarote and the Manrique inspired visits in Lanzarote (Jameos del Agua, Mirador del Rio and the Manrique Fundacion).

Archived