? for FlyerTalker

Hflors

You seem to be very versed on airlines. Can I ask a question? I am booked on PHL - SJU next Jan for a cruise out of there. Got on the only non-stop. Do you think this flight will be ok? My other flight IAD - Sju was cancelled. I don't know if I should go a head and book hotel or not. I am afraid that if this flight is cancelled I will be left with a hotel bill that I will not be able to use. (If it is cancelled I'll check other airports within the area for the best times/changes since there will be no more non-stops in the area I live in Bwi-Iad-Phl) I am sort of driving myself crazy over this. We are meeting people in San Juan for this cruise so we can't cancel.

I keep thinking that being cancelled in the future will become the luck of the drawl. Which is a bit nerve wracking. I guess for people that travel all the time is is just a part of the trip. For people like me that fly only a couple times a year it is a major worry.

Thanks for any imput you have.

There are four non-stop flights a day PHL->SJU. One AA and three Agony Air (aka U S Air) -- United is a code share on one of the U S Air flights, so it kinda looks like there are five a day.

There are also several more choices on 1-stop connections.

No one knows which flights are going to be nuked between now and then. Trying to guess who will do what is just going to drive you crazy. All you can do is book directly through an airline, try to pick an airline that is relatively financial stable, have a drink and relax.

regarding the hotel: why not pay a little more and book a non-prepaid room? That way, if you have to cancel, you will not be out the cost of the room for a night.

Paul

airlines will canx or change flights based on bookings. If your flight from phl-san juan is fully booked they will most likely keep it. If it's partially booked by september, they may move it to a different size aircraft. Usually airlines will change flight schedules and aircraft once a quarter. I would think people would be going south in the winter, so your chances should be good that your flight won't canx.

There are four non-stop flights a day PHL->SJU. One AA and three Agony Air (aka U S Air) -- United is a code share on one of the U S Air flights, so it kinda looks like there are five a day.

There are also several more choices on 1-stop connections.

No one knows which flights are going to be nuked between now and then. Trying to guess who will do what is just going to drive you crazy. All you can do is book directly through an airline, try to pick an airline that is relatively financial stable, have a drink and relax.

regarding the hotel: why not pay a little more and book a non-prepaid room? That way, if you have to cancel, you will not be out the cost of the room for a night.

Paul

Paul Thanks for replying. I am booked on the AA Phl - SJU this flight replaces the AA flight I had non stop IAD - SJU that was cancelled. Since we live so far from any airport we can use BWI, IAD or PHL because we have to stay the night before no matter what. I hope not to change airlines as I did get a very good price before all this madness started. I am going to try to relax and remember that no matter what WE WILL GET TO OUR VACATION! And that is the important thing.

airlines will canx or change flights based on bookings. If your flight from phl-san juan is fully booked they will most likely keep it. If it's partially booked by september, they may move it to a different size aircraft. Usually airlines will change flight schedules and aircraft once a quarter. I would think people would be going south in the winter, so your chances should be good that your flight won't canx.

Thanks for replying tkerwin. I just wish I could "change" the way I can pay for my airfare. OK like the first $200.00 I'll pay in US Dollars, the second $200.00 I pay in Monoply money, etc. Wouldn't the airlines like that.

I just want to know when did the airlines get to just cancel/change flights when ever they decided to do it?????? Must be nice to say "Oh I decided I won't fly today you need to put me on a flight tomorrow." And not pay any penality!

I am stepping down from my soapbox!

I think AA rules into San Juan, so I wouldn't be too worried about not making it. Even if the flight you booked gets "rationalized", they have tons of others, even if you have to connect in Miami on the way.

Thanks for replying tkerwin. I just wish I could "change" the way I can pay for my airfare. OK like the first $200.00 I'll pay in US Dollars, the second $200.00 I pay in Monoply money, etc. Wouldn't the airlines like that.

I just want to know when did the airlines get to just cancel/change flights when ever they decided to do it?????? Must be nice to say "Oh I decided I won't fly today you need to put me on a flight tomorrow." And not pay any penality!

I am stepping down from my soapbox!

Actually, they have always had the right to do this. If you look at the legalese, it is quite clear that that you are not guaranteed much of anything.

Paul

Just to make it clear....yes, airlines change schedules to fit market demand, market pricing, operational requirements and overall corporate strategy. This is in regularly scheduled events where ALL such scheduling changes are made.

OTOH, airlines do NOT look at a specific flight on a specific day and say "guess we aren't going to make money today, so let's cancel this one". Too many other considerations are involved, including crew scheduling, aircraft positioning (where it will fly AFTER your flight), maintenance scheduling and overall schedule integrity.

So yes...if that flight doesn't "work out" for the airline OVERALL, the entire schedule (not just one day) may be adjusted.

To the OP: Sorry....traveling. (surprise!!)

Ab0si gave you the straight scoop....there are NO guarantees. It's almost like a form of travel quantum physics, where the Heisenberg Principle is mixed with an equal measure of Jet A.

To the OP: Sorry....traveling. (surprise!!)

Ab0si gave you the straight scoop....there are NO guarantees. It's almost like a form of travel quantum physics, where the Heisenberg Principle is mixed with an equal measure of Jet A.

Thanks for replying. I am just resigning myself to waiting and seeing what happens. It's a pain, but, hay that is life.

Thanks for replying. I am just resigning myself to waiting and seeing what happens. It's a pain, but, hay that is life.

Dont worry over things that you cannot control.

Book a hotel room that is cancellable, instead of prepaid.

Given things as they are now, hotels would not be filled up if there are less travellers.

I tell you what I am planning now - we are looking to book a Westbound transatlantic this Fall. In Jan, we "purchased" our roundtrip Barcelona / MIA / Barcelona tickets with AA miles. We took an Emerald Princess Eastbound transatlantic in mid April. We flew home in mid May, used 1st half of our tickets. Our original plan was to book X's Constellation sails on Sept 8 Barcelona to New York 14 days, because we like her itinerary a lot. Also at that time, Princess would not separate the Westbound transatlantic from the last Med cruise of the season for booking, making the Emerald Westbound a 28day long itinerary. When we returned home we discovered Princess has decoupled Emerald's itinerary and now the Westbound is bookable with an 18 days itinerary. AND, the price has dropped $500.

So, the following week after we are home, I called AAdvantage desk to change our dates (dates are changeable on award tickets without fee, provided of course there are seats available) to fit the Emerald sailing timeframe. Meanwhile, I have not booked the cruise yet, waiting for further price drop. I look at what Transatlantic cruises are available, if we fail to book Emerald - there are HAL, NCL & RCCL, all sail between late Oct and late Nov. So if we dont get Emerald, no biggie, we can sail on other ships - while it is not ideal, we should be able to find a cruise.

Today I received the FIRST Princess Flash Sale email in over a year's time - I guess now we dont have any booking on Princess, the Flash Sale email resumed. A June 19 12 days Norweigian Fjords sailing roundtrip Southampton, is offered at $1699 inside cabin including Air!!! On Princess website, the same is still shown at $2030 No Air!!! I forwarded the email to our cruise agent to inform her this crazyness. If we are not eyeing on the Oct sailing, we might bite on this!

Oh, last week I booked 2 tickets FLL/DFW/SFO roundtrip on AA, travel right after Labor Day, for $240 incl tax and fee - have to book something on AA by July in order not to lose a credit from previous cancellation, and this cheap fare is almost like Godsend. Right now, we have $2800 credit sitting at AA, and 600,000 combined miles in our AA account. I dont worry about if AA goes into bankruptcy, would we lose that? My educated guess is, we would not.

Now, I would like Flyertalker to suggest, what would be the CHEAPEST flight on CO so I can book it as a throw-away, in order to preserve my $2200 credit from a cancellation with CO? People suggest me to book AUS-IAH one-way, being the cheapest. Do you think it is a good idea? I need to do this no later than July 13.

Don't know if it is the cheapest, but CO lists a $46 fare OW between IAH and AUS or SAT. Fare basis is WA21ZN.

I don't know the CO rules on vouchers and how they may be "extended", so I don't want to make any other comment. At least on a percentage basis, $46 is less than 3% of 2200. Think of how your forex charges on your credit card may be higher than that....good investment.

Don't know if it is the cheapest, but CO lists a $46 fare OW between IAH and AUS or SAT. Fare basis is WA21ZN.

I don't know the CO rules on vouchers and how they may be "extended", so I don't want to make any other comment. At least on a percentage basis, $46 is less than 3% of 2200. Think of how your forex charges on your credit card may be higher than that....good investment.

I called CO 2 weeks ago to find out their new, better, but still not as good as DL & AA, policy on their vouchers.

Instead of only one residual value, CO now allows unlimited resideal value on the rebooking - so that is a big improvement. BUT, it still only allows ONE year validity from voucher issuance, versus DL & AA that can be extended for another year each time you book and still have residual value left. The CO CSR gave me this example, say, I booked a $200 ticket, leaving $1900 value, in the form of Travel Certificate which can be used for any passenger. Then the next ticket is $600, I would still have $1300... on the SAME Travel Certificate which of course, expires one year after issuance.

The $100 change fee must be paid separately though, vs AA deducts it directly from the existing credit.

Archived