I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello Freedom with Candles:

We will have one day in port and then will be staying two days post cruise. I understand that hotels are VERY expensive. However, which hotels do you recommend? The cruiseline is offering the Scandic...I have heard that the Radisson Royal is

nice. But, would appreciate your opinion. The location is important to us, as we enjoy walking to as many places as possible.

Thanks

Form your list there - I would go with the Scandic.

Another great one, right in the heart of the city is The Square Hotel. They're probably booked full, but if you can get it - and get a suite facing the square, then that is really nice.

The Palace Hotel is another one RIGHT on the town hall square with great views in to Tivoli and of course the square.

Another good location is the Ibsens Hotel. I also hear they have a good breakfast.

Finding a hotel in the peak season in CPH is rather difficult. If your tour can get you into the Scandic and it's good with your pocketbook, then that is what I would do.

**A NOTE ABOUT HOTELS**

None (or very very very few) will have air conditioning.

Few will have breakfast included but may bring you rolls or pastry.

Most will be European Style - meaning small, compact, and efficient. If you want more American standards, then go with an American name like Marriott or Radisson.

Location - - if you can get one that says Copenhagen K then that means you are in the CENTER of town.

Copenhagen V is the west part of the city.

There is a bus or metro stop pretty much everywhere in Copenhagen, so you're never far from anything when you're in either K or V.

Make sense?

Thank you, Freedom with Candles, for all your advice and suggestions.

My husband and I arrive late afternoon on Sat., July 5. We are staying at the Norlandia Richmond, which we know nothing about, but booked through British Air when we booked our flight. We plan to go to Tivoli that evening for dinner. We will have all day Sunday and Monday morning before boarding our ship and then a half day when we return on July 19. We would like to see the Louisiana Museum, Resistance Museum, Christiansborg Palace and walk the Stroget (and of course, the Little Mermaid.) If time permits, we would also like to visit Rosenborg Castle. Can you suggest the best way to organize these into the time we have? Also, please make recommendations for other options if you feel these would be better. Thank you so much for taking the time to help guests fully enjoy your adopted city. We look forward to our visit.

First thing I would do is purchase a COPENHAGEN CARD. You have PLENTY of time to "get your money's worth" out of it - - and you will save yourself a TON of headaches as far as travel goes. You can get one at the Tourist Info center quite near Tivoli and the Main Train Station. Your hotel can point you in the right direction.

I just looked online at the Norlandia Richmond and it looks to be quite close to Tivoli. The reviews online seem good - so I wouldn't worry about your accomodations.

Louisiana will have to be done on SUNDAY as they are closed on Monday. That museum is quite a distance from the hotel - and you will need to take a bus out there. Your hotel can get you in the right direction. I would plan on taking off early on Sunday (they open at 11 and close at 6) and doing the museum early until afternoon. There is a LOT to see and do - - and their restaurant is spectacular - so you can plan on having lunch there.

There really isn't much else to do up there - - UNLESS you take the rest of the day and take the bus FURTHER up the coast and go visit "Hamlet's Castle" up in Helsingor. This castle is called Kronborg and is what Shakespeare based Hamlet's Castle off of.

They are open until 5pm, but you can walk the grounds and even get into the courtyard of the castle well past closing time. There is also a great maritime museum inside the castle that is well worth visiting.

So if you can pace yourself, and do Louisiana from say 11 - 1 and then give yourself time to travel to Helsingor and do the castle from 2 - 5 that would be a great day trip.

You can grab the metro line from the castle (well, about a mile from the castle, but you can get closer with a bus) directly back to the closest train station to your hotel. Again - your hotel concierge should be able to give you the exact travel routes.

Monday:

Christiansborg Palace (open from 10 - 4)

Rosenborg Castle (Slot) (open from 10 - 4)

Resistance Museum (open from 10 - 5)

I would also try to see the changing of the Queens guard at NOON at Amalienborg Palace (the queen's residence). It is quite close to Rosenborg.

The little mermaid - check her out on the way to your ship. She's very close to the pier (take a bus) she will take you all of 2 minutes to photograph.

I would also plan to have dinner at Tivoli in the evening. You can't come to Copenhagen and NOT dine in Tivoli.

I think that is a great plan for a day in Copenhagen. Just be mindful of the opening / closing hours.

One way to get around ALL of those places is with the HOHO tour. Your Copenhagen card will not only give you a discount on the HOHO tour itself, but FREE admission in to most of the places you want to see.

Your CPH card will also give you FREE transportation out to Louisiana and Hamlet's castle on Sunday.

I would save walking the Stroget for the 19th when you get back.

ENJOY!!!

Hi,

We will be in Copenhagen on Saturday, August 30th, from 8-6 while on a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. We are traveling with another couple and I am responsible for planning the day.

If you were me, and you never had been to Copenhagen before, what would your plan for the day be?

If you only have the one day, my favorite thing to do is purchase the COMBO HOHO/Canal tour. You can HOHO at Rosenborg, Amalienborg, photo stop at the little mermaid, and several other neat things.

Since your time is short - this is MY ideal one day. Obviously, your tastes may be different....

Purchase HOHO/Canal tour. You can do this online, or probably with your cruise ship. (web site for purchasing online is http://www.sightseeing.dk)

Get the VERY FIRST bus - think it's at 9am.

HO at:

Rosenborg (1 - 2 hours)

Amalienborg (try to be there for 11:45 to see the changing of the guard at noon). (1 hour or less)

Then take it back to where you get off for the Canal tour.

Have lunch there (Cafe Norden is MY Fave and right near where they let you off for the canal stop! Or if you can walk a few blocks, it is SO worth it to go up to the ROUND TOWER and have lunch at the POST OFFICE MUSEUM cafe on the rooftop.)

You will have time to visit Royal Copenhagen, Georg Jensen, and some other great shops right there on the Stroget. Especially if you walk up to the Post Office Museum/Cafe.

If you have really good legs - a trip up the Round Tower is spectacular!

THEN - after you're done eating and walking and need a break - take the canal tour.

When that is done, you can get back on your bus and be dropped at Tivoli.

Grab a quick bite as you experience this national treasure...

then back to your ship to sleep it all off!

IF you'd rather shop, walk, and dine - then DO NOT get the canal tour and spend more time on the Stroget.

If you're not a shopper/walker - - then do the canal tour.

Would you purchase anything online before you go? (depends. You can check out the site i listed above to see if it's a better deal than what the cruise ship can give you. Otherwise, you can buy direct at the HOHO stop. BE EARLY!)

Where would you convert your currency?

I would use an ATM machine. The money exchanging places charge an arm and a leg.

How much currency would you need?

Depends on what you want to do. And how much you want to buy. Most places where you will be focusing your tour WILL do foreign credit cards.

I would plan on having at least $100 USD on hand though "just in case".

Since you have been so generous with your time and information, if you ever come to Sacramento, California email me and I will plan your day :D

Thank you in advance,

Jackie

Thanks! I will let yo uknow if i'm ever in CA!

I was planning to do a lot of walking while in Copenhagen. Our ship will be there until 6:00 P.M. so we do have a full day. Is it possible to walk from the Little Mermaid Staue all the way to Tivoli (with stops and sightseeing between)?

I was planning to do a lot of walking while in Copenhagen. Our ship will be there until 6:00 P.M. so we do have a full day. Is it possible to walk from the Little Mermaid Staue all the way to Tivoli (with stops and sightseeing between)?

ANYTHING is possible.

But to be quite honest, the trek between the little mermaid and Tivoli is QUITE long. 2.5 miles to be "close to exact" - and that is going directly without seeing much else along the way.

What I would plan to do is this:

Walk from the Pier to the Little mermaid.

Then walk around the Kastellet (or at least THROUGH it) and wind up with Osterport station directly in front of you. You can turn LEFT (there will be a Swedish church on your side of the street) and go to the next intersection. Cross the street and turn RIGHT. The bus stop is right there. It's a big one, so you can't miss it.

Take BUS 1A towards Avedøre st. to Fredericiag./St.Kongensg.. (have some danish coins for the bus ticket. You need 20DKK for this exact trip). (tip - you can write out that stop on a paper and ask the driver to tell you when to get off. SOME speak decent english. otherwise, charades always work!).

This will put you off at Amalienborg. If you can time it so that you get there for 11:50 - you can see the changing of the guards.

Walk from Amalienborg to Rosenborg (if you fancy seeing another castle and the crown jewels) and then on to Tivoli.

When you're done with Tivoli, take a bus back to the pier (bus 52 stops RIGHT in front of the ships) or it's about a 2.5 mile walk from Tivoli back to the pier.

Enjoy your day in Copenhagen!!

FreedomWithCandles,

This question may not be one of the areas of your expertise but..can you please give an advice on how to take the transport (bus or train) from Orientbassinet (Freeport) to the airport? We have plenty of time before airport check-in and would just rather do this than taxi directly to the airport. Besides I heard it's REALLY expensive. I'm sure your reply will benefit a lot of fellow cruisers.

Thank you.

Wow. I had to look that one up! I had NO idea where Orientbassinet was!

I checked this site: http://www.DSB.dk (you can get it in english by clicking on the UK flag).

here is the easiest route of the options that popped up:

Walk from Orientbassinet, Trafikhavn, København to Nordhavn st.

Allow about 18 min., Distance: approx. 1,4 km to get there.

Take S-train A from Nordhavn st towards Hundige st to Nørreport st.

Walk from Nørreport st to Nørreport st (Metro).

Allow about 3 min. to get there - in the same terminal, just different tracks)

Take Metro MET M2 from Nørreport st (Metro) towards Lufthavnen st (Metro) to Lufthavnen st (Metro).

Allow 40 minutes for this travel.

You will need to obtain (and figure out) the correct way to pay for all of this. If you already HAVE a Copenhangen Card - then you're good to go. Buying one for this journey is not a smart investment.

When you get to Norreport station, you can go to the main counter and show them this plan and they can get you the right tickets.

Hope that helps!

If you are in town for a FEW days - - or are REALLY adventurous on 1 day - -

here is where you can get the Copenhange card:

1) airport

2) any Tourist Office - one right by the pier in the little "mall" there

3) online http://online.citybreak.com/Search/Other/SearchOther.aspx?pdid=4525&onlineid=1459618727

With a CPHCARD you have:

- Free entry to about 60 museums and attractions

- Free transport by train, bus and Metro – also from/to the airport show map

- Discounts on restaurants, car hire, shops and sights

The CPHCARD is available as:

- A 24/hrs card and a 72/hrs card

- An adult card (16+) and an infant card (10-15)

- Bring along 2 children (0-9) for free with an adult CPHCARD

Where to get one:

- any Tourist Office (one in the airport, near the pier, and near Tivoli)

- online - but do plan for mail from overseas to reach you in time. you can purchase one and read a list of it's benefits here:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist

With a CPHCARD you have:

- Free entry to about 60 museums and attractions

- Free transport by train, bus and Metro – also from/to the airport show map

- Discounts on restaurants, car hire, shops and sights

The CPHCARD is available as:

- A 24/hrs card and a 72/hrs card

- An adult card (16+) and an infant card (10-15)

- Bring along 2 children (0-9) for free with an adult CPHCARD

Where to get one:

- any Tourist Office (one in the airport, near the pier, and near Tivoli)

- online - but do plan for mail from overseas to reach you in time. you can purchase one and read a list of it's benefits here:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist

Hello Freedom With Candles:

Just off the top of my head...if you purchase the 72 hour card..

does the card need to be utilized consecutively...or can you

use it one day for a port stop and then several days later for

your post cruise?

Thanks for your help.

Hello Freedom With Candles:

Just off the top of my head...if you purchase the 72 hour card..

does the card need to be utilized consecutively...or can you

use it one day for a port stop and then several days later for

your post cruise?

Thanks for your help.

It does need to be used consecutively. So you need a new one for each 24 or 72 hour period in CPH.

Freedom with Candles,

Thank you so much for your information. You answered all my questions, and,

through others, even answered questions I didn't even know I had;)

Denmark should proclaim you a national treasure, or at least sign you up for the tourist bureau:D Thanks again.

Freedom with Candles,

Thank you so much for your information. You answered all my questions, and,

through others, even answered questions I didn't even know I had;)

Denmark should proclaim you a national treasure, or at least sign you up for the tourist bureau:D Thanks again.

awwww! thanks! I'm just trying to figure out a way to give back to this community!

I'm NEW to cruising (have only done one... and that was over 15 years ago!).

Now that the kids are old enough - it's BACK to CRUISING for me!!:cool:

I've asked, and will probably ask more silly questions and everyone has been SO accomodating... this is the least I can do!

:D

Just a point of information on the CPH card. We are staying at the Scandic and they told me the card can be purchased there. I'm wondering if the other hotels also have them available.

You can get them at MOST big touristy places... but I wouldn't consider the Scandic too touristy... so that is good to know!

I wouldn't ASSUME that ALL hotels have them, you may want to call before to find out if they can be purchased where you are staying.

If not, they are SUPER easy to get - and you can look online to find out WHERE they are sold (train stations, hotels, etc.).

Is there anything worth buying that is a special item or product from Denmark that is less expensive to buy in Copenhagen then in the US?

Not sure about cheaper... but things that I would look for in Copenhagen include:

Royal Copenhagen porcelain (great shop on the Stroget)

Georg Jensen jewelry, etc. (great shop next to Royal Copenhagen)

Trip Trap housewares (they have a boutique quite near the pier)

Danish lace

Danish glass

Danish paper crafts/ornaments

Basically - - textiles are quite huge here.

Also - if you're more in to kitsch, then pick up anything with TUBORG or CARLSBURG beer logos on them.

What is your thought on taking the train from the airport to the Central Station? I will have 2 large bags and a small one plus one attractive, very nice wife. We will be staying in a hotel for a pre cruise stay.

Thanks,

What is your thought on taking the train from the airport to the Central Station? I will have 2 large bags and a small one plus one attractive, very nice wife. We will be staying in a hotel for a pre cruise stay.

Thanks,

My thoughts are that it if you can wheel them without too much issue, then you shouldn't have any issue.

The number of people that wheel luggage throughout the city is quite large on a daily basis.

Do check with your hotel though - some offer airport pickups.

My thoughts are that it if you can wheel them without too much issue, then you shouldn't have any issue.

The number of people that wheel luggage throughout the city is quite large on a daily basis.

Do check with your hotel though - some offer airport pickups.

Thanks,

Hi Freedom with Candles, Thanks for all the great info. We are cruising out of Copenhagen in August 2009 with our two daughters who will be 6 and 12 at the time. Our plan is to spend probably three nights in Copenhagen prior to the cruise in order to explore as much as possible. Other then Tivoli Gardens, what sites or activities would you consider to be must-sees with children? Also what hotels would you recommend with children? We want to stay someplace central where we can walk as much as possible and we would like to have a room with two double beds so that we can all sleep in the same room. The cruise line recommends one that is directly across from Tivoli (I believe it's SAS Royal or something like that) and Angleterre looks lovely but I'm not sure that it would be child-friendly. Any advice that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Freedom with Candles, Thanks for all the great info. We are cruising out of Copenhagen in August 2009 with our two daughters who will be 6 and 12 at the time. Our plan is to spend probably three nights in Copenhagen prior to the cruise in order to explore as much as possible. Other then Tivoli Gardens, what sites or activities would you consider to be must-sees with children? Also what hotels would you recommend with children? We want to stay someplace central where we can walk as much as possible and we would like to have a room with two double beds so that we can all sleep in the same room. The cruise line recommends one that is directly across from Tivoli (I believe it's SAS Royal or something like that) and Angleterre looks lovely but I'm not sure that it would be child-friendly. Any advice that you have would be greatly appreciated.

3 days in copenhagen is a really good chunk of time! I think that will allow for quite a great experience.

1) Get a 72 hour CPH card (read above for more info). Kids under 9 don't need them, and each adult can use their card for 2 kids. It's a great value.

2) Hotels. Take what you can get is my advice! Finding a hotel in CPH in August will earn your TA's salary! That's for sure! Don't worry about "child friendly" - just finding one with 2 double beds will be a goldmine! :D And, really, as far as location, if you are in Copenhagen K or V, that is good. You can also look to the outskirts into the 'burbs if you want. Then just take a bus or a train in to the city. I live in a "burb" of CPH and I'm only 4 miles from "downtown" CPH. Yet you'd never know it by looking at my neighborhood. Just a thought.

3) Things to do with kids:

Canal Tour

Zoo

Tivoli

Bakken (worlds FIRST amusement park, on the S-Tog and easily accessible. I live within spittin' distance and it's a GREAT park. Totally different than Tivoli). be sure to take the horse drawn carriage rides around the DYREHAVEN (deer park). Very cool.

There is a really cool old fashioned candy factory that gives tours and you get some hard candy at the end. I'll have to look it up if you're interested.

You could take the train or the ferry over to Sweden for a day or 1/2 day and put your feet on another country. This could be a neat "pre-cruise" cruise. LOL

Buy lots of hotdogs out of carts. Follow that with icecream from the 3000 stands/shops.

If you have a nasty day of rain or just need something inside, head to the Waterfront shopping center in Hellerup (bus ride) and take her to Cappella Play. let her bounce off the walls for a few hours. There is also on at FIELDS (Scandinavia's largest mall) - which is easily accessible via train.

OHHHH - - THE EXPERIMENTARIUM!!! I always forget about that! That is an excellent place to visit!! It's a very hands on science center. Sounds boring - but it is WONDERFUL! Really - a great place to visit.

Also - the Viking Ship museum up in Roskilde is wonderful for kids too.

If you are art lovers - go to the Louisiana art museum. They have a HUGE "hands on" arts area for kids of all ages to create (and take home!) their own masterpieces out of clay, etc.

There is also a planetarium (named after Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe) that does 3D Imax movies. Lots of fun for the kiddos.

Climbing the Round Tower is neat for the kids. There are no stairs, so they can run themselves silly up and down. The view from the top is great - and they have those pay-per-view telescope things where you can really get a good view.

Rosenborg, Amalienborg, Kronborg & Frederiksborg castles are ALL great to visit with kids that age. Especially girls... who can check out how real live Princesses lived (and live today!).

If you want a BEACH DAY - then head out to Charlottenlund Fort / Beach (bus or train). This is the site of an old fort (complete with bunkers, cannons, etc.) that has been turned into a fantastic park/beach/etc. There is a GREAT restaurant on the fort that overlooks the sea. There is plenty of beach/grass/etc. for spreading out on, and walking around the park is really nice.

VERY close to there is the Aquarium. It's T I N Y - but a fun 30 min - 1 hour stop.

There is also an old "castle" (think big house) right there too that has nice grounds and is a pleasure to walk around (you can't go in - as it's a working building now).

Whew. I'm sure my DD(6) will chime in with more! That should get you started though!

Not sure about cheaper... but things that I would look for in Copenhagen include:

Royal Copenhagen porcelain (great shop on the Stroget)

Georg Jensen jewelry, etc. (great shop next to Royal Copenhagen)

Trip Trap housewares (they have a boutique quite near the pier)

Danish lace

Danish glass

Danish paper crafts/ornaments

Basically - - textiles are quite huge here.

Also - if you're more in to kitsch, then pick up anything with TUBORG or CARLSBURG beer logos on them.

Thank you for answering my question on the previous page! Your information was helpful! Now that you mentioned Danish lace and glass, etc ... what in your opinion would be considered a good steal/buy? I'm trying to figure out how much cash I should bring and set aside for buying souvenirs.

Thank you ever so much, FreedomWithCandles, for all of your tips. I am extremely grateful for all of your suggestions (as well as those from swdke and Danish viking). I too will be coming into Copenhagen in advance of my cruise, and would like your advice for a "splurge" meal. I have heard of Restaurant Noma, Era Ora, Geranium and Sollerod Kro, etc. Would you go to any those restaurants (without kids) for a special evening out, or is it just not worth it considerring the price in your point of view? I thought Sollerod Kro might be a more "Danish" experience (out in the "burbs").

Thanks ever so much for your assistance with all of us "anxious" cruisers!!

Alan.

What great practical advice about Copenhagen. Will be there on August 18 for one day - Constellation. Do you know if there are ATM's at the pier and if this is the best place to exchange money? We dock at 7am.

Archived