I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

FWC- Our brief visit has us off the ship around 8:30, will anything be open at that early hour? I was thinking about a canal tour if they start early but if not perhaps the HOHO tour. We leave at 4 and I hate to start late considering the limited time available. Thanks, DMaugle

I'm looking for something like a tea cup with saucer to add to my Nonna's tea cup collection (must have Denmark stamped to bottom), Amber (saw the post about it...thanks!), lace and maybe glassware. My budget would be something like $100 for souvenirs. I don't want to go too far away from my budget but don't mind upping it to $150. Unless I'm being totally unreasonable here?

I collect things from around the world and have an international collection of items from each country I've been to. Nothing too big but small enough to put into display case and easy to pack.

Hmmmm... if you fancy a tea cup and saucer, then you must get one by Royal Copenhagen. If you are OK with any style/size and just want the stamp, then you may be lucky to find a cup and saucer for $30. That would be a STEAL. The coffee "mugs" that I am coveting are $30 EACH and that is the OUTLET price. They are normally just under $100 each and don't even have any painting on them.

So - Royal Copenhagen Porcelain, if you see a set for 150DKK or less - GRAB IT. That is a great steal. (heck, anything under 400DKK for a set is a great deal.... but that is almost your entire budget right there).

Amber - you can get a great pair of small earrings set in 14K for around $20 - $30. The better the setting, the more you pay.

Lace - can't really help on that.... so sorry. I've not yet found a great lace shop that I enjoy here. I usually find mine at flea/ antique markets....

And - again - the TRIP TRAP boutique (at the end of the road from the pier - going towards the train station) is another great place to hunt for "Made in Denmark" things. They have everything from trivets to garden furniture. Lots of great kitchen things - and all with the famous Trip Trap plaque on it.

There are a million and one antique stores - those are great places to hunt if you enjoy that type of thing. I've found everything from an old fondue platter with the original store sticker on it. .. from 1979 (that was a great buy!) to an Aqua cd for $3 (Aqua is a Danish band that has a cult following. Their cd's go for $80 or so on EBay).

Enjoy! And remember - if you see it, love it, and can afford it - BUY IT. You won't find it again elsewhere for a cheaper price.

FWC- Our brief visit has us off the ship around 8:30, will anything be open at that early hour? I was thinking about a canal tour if they start early but if not perhaps the HOHO tour. We leave at 4 and I hate to start late considering the limited time available. Thanks, DMaugle

wow. Unfortunately, nothing really opens until 9 at the earliest, and 10/11 for most retail and museum places.

The HOHO doesn't even start until 9:30.

What tours is your cruiseline offering?

We're landing from the states on the morning of 8/12 and have transfer to the Scandic. We have 5:15 reservations at the Ice Bar and hope to have dinner at Tivoli that day. I'm thinking that getting the all routes HOHO ticket for that day and just riding around seeing the sights would be nice since we will probably be a bit jet-lagged. Then we can get a 24 hour CPH card for the 13th and visit the places we picked out from the bus. I looked online and there is a 10% discount if you book the HOHO 21-days ahead of time. Does this sound like a good idea? If I read it correctly, the all-routes includes a canal tour also.

We're landing from the states on the morning of 8/12 and have transfer to the Scandic. We have 5:15 reservations at the Ice Bar and hope to have dinner at Tivoli that day. I'm thinking that getting the all routes HOHO ticket for that day and just riding around seeing the sights would be nice since we will probably be a bit jet-lagged. Then we can get a 24 hour CPH card for the 13th and visit the places we picked out from the bus. I looked online and there is a 10% discount if you book the HOHO 21-days ahead of time. Does this sound like a good idea? If I read it correctly, the all-routes includes a canal tour also.

I think what you have planned sounds great. And yes, the all lines tour does include a canal tour as well.

the thing to know about the canal tour is that you can take it "whenever" you want during your time period. you don't HAVE to take it when they stop at the canal tour "get off spot". it's a great location to go have lunch, or do some shopping, as it's quite close to the great part of Stroget.

Enjoy!!!

Oh - here is the direct link to all info HOHO:

http://www.sightseeing.dk/regado.jsp?type=page&id=96

FreedomWithCandles,

Thanks for the swift response. We're only there for the day, 9 - 6, on 8th July.

I think I will strike Christiania from the list and find something else for the afternoon. Maybe we'll combine the HOHO bus with a canal tour and get off at a few interesting looking places.

The upper teens are both into sports and I doubt there's a cricket game (or even a soccer match) on at the time. Activity based stuff is sometimes good but not if we thought of it first. They didn't enjoy Copenhagen about four years ago and I don't anticipate they will this time round! Bike hire is an option, I think, and you've given details of that already.

To give you an idea of what P&O are offering, I'll give you the titles of their tours but I can't retype the details other than a few pointers, I'm afraid:

City, Canals & Christianshavn (3.5 hrs)

Walk 'n' Cruise (3.5 hrs)

Easy Copenhagen (3 hrs)

Lake Cruise & Open Air Museum (4 hrs) - vintage boat used for the cruise

Veteran Coach & Sail (4 hrs) - same vintage boat as above

Charming Dragor & Copenhagen Panorama (4 hrs)

How Vikings Crossed the Oceans (5 hrs) - Viking Museum & sail/row a replica boat

The First designer Hotel in the World (3 hrs) - Radisson SAS

Tramtastic (5 hrs) - Skjoldenaesholm Tram Museum

Carlsberg Glyptotek (3 hrs)

Tivoli Gardens & Harbour Cruise (4 hrs)

City & Bakken Fun Fair (4.5 hrs)

Experimentarium (4 hrs)

Meet the Danes (2.5 hrs)

More details can be found on P&O's website.

Thanks

Tony

Hi FreedomWithCandles,

Do you know if scrapbooking has taken off in your area? Are there any scrapbooking stores in central Copenhagen? We are staying at the Palace for 2 nights before our cruise and one night after. When we were on an Alaskan cruise last summer, we found scrapbooking stuff at every port. What can I hope for in Scandinavia/Baltic area?

Thanks for all your pointers on this thread. I am very excited about this trip. Only a few more weeks now

It's now the middle of the night in Denmark. Guess we'll hear again in our AM. Meanwhile, I believe Jen said she recommended the German restauant in Tivoli.

Pia (currently amassing tons of paper. I am printing everything)

Hello. I am having a great time reading the thread. Wonderful information. My husband and I will be coming to Copenhagen on the Carnival Splendor, arriving 7/27/08. Our 5 year old daughter will be touring with us. Just wanted to run our plans by you to make sure I have everything straight. I want to have good plans since out kiddie will be coming along. 1) Once off the ship, purchase HOHO ticket at pier. 2) Ride to Rosenburg - tour. 3) Ride to Amalienburg - tour, watch changing of the guards. 4) Ride to Canal tour stop, eat at Cafe Nordin, Dubliner or India Palace. 5) Ride to Tivoli - tour. Does this sound good? Where should I fit in the Little Mermaid?

Thank you.

Hello. I am having a great time reading the thread. Wonderful information. My husband and I will be coming to Copenhagen on the Carnival Splendor, arriving 7/27/08. Our 5 year old daughter will be touring with us. Just wanted to run our plans by you to make sure I have everything straight. I want to have good plans since out kiddie will be coming along. 1) Once off the ship, purchase HOHO ticket at pier. 2) Ride to Rosenburg - tour. 3) Ride to Amalienburg - tour, watch changing of the guards. 4) Ride to Canal tour stop, eat at Cafe Nordin, Dubliner or India Palace. 5) Ride to Tivoli - tour. Does this sound good? Where should I fit in the Little Mermaid?

Thank you.

Sounds good!

From the pier, the next stop (I believe) is the little mermaid. OR it's the last stop before going back to the ship. Either way, she's on the HOHO tour.

And, if you begin or end early, you can just walk to the Little Mermaid from the pier - shes REALLY close. Heck, you can walk to the Little Mermaid, and then just get your HOHO tickets there if you wanted to. Really, she will be the easiest thing to get to/see from where you are.

Rosenborg & Amalienborg will be great - just check the schedule at the little mermaid to see when you can expect to hit Amalienborg. Try to time it so that you get there for 11:45ish (guard changes at noon).

If you ride to the canal tour stop - your two choices (from your list) include The Dubliner or Cafe Norden. India Palace is closer to Tivoli than the canal stop.

A note about Tivoli:

If you have kids, or if you are a big kid yourself, BUY THE WRISTBAND for the rides.

It will USUALLY save you money if you do even just 4 of the rides.

Some that I recommend to LITERALLY EVERYONE (regardless of age or intestinal fortitude) are:

1) the train ride around the park (1 ticket)

2) Hans Christian Andersen's Flying Trunk (you don't fly. you sit in a car shaped like a trunk as it takes you very slowly through some fantastic scenery about his stories. I love this "ride" and my kids do too. Great way to sneak in something "educational" while enjoying Tivoli. (2 or 3 tickets)

3) The old fashioned Carousel. Not what we American's are used to! You'll see what I mean when you get there. (2 or 3 tickets)

4) Old fashioned boat ride where you steer the boat! (3 tickets)

(I will try to find out exactly how many tickets for #2-3. I always buy the wrist bands since I have a "gold pass" and don't pay attention to the ticket requirements).

Each ticket is 20DKK and a "wristband" is 200dkk. They take American Credit Cards both at the "human staffed" kiosks and at the machine terminals.

If you are OK with heights - you HAVE to do the Star Flier! (think along the lines of London's EYE - but in a swing format).

For those of you who are ice cream lovers - with a nostalgia for "home" then you will be happy to know that Stone Cold Creamery just opened Europe's first scoop shop in Tivoli! It's wayyyyy tucked in the back - but ask around and people can help you locate it.

There is only 1 modern roller coaster in the park - the Demon. It's a big hulking red thing with loops. You stand up for that one!.

The others are ones that I take my 4 and 6yr olds on (though most people think I'm nuts for letting them on). Try the wooden one with the old fashioned brake man! One of the world's oldest continually operating roller coasters (and my favorite in the park!).

ENJOY!

It's now the middle of the night in Denmark. Guess we'll hear again in our AM. Meanwhile, I believe Jen said she recommended the German restauant in Tivoli.

Pia (currently amassing tons of paper. I am printing everything)

hey Pia!

not sure about any specific restaurant in Tivoli - they are all good (EXCEPT the Pirate ship as I mentioned before. only eat there if your toddler forces you. LOL).

Otherwise - my only other recommendations while at Tivoli are to have the Gammledags Is - - or old fashioned ice cream cones.

I'm sure there is a German Restaurant in Tivoli.... but not one that stands out as a MUST EAT to me anyway.

I will ask around for any die hard recommendations.

For SHEER novelty though - they've just finished extensive renovations to the main "hotel" in Tivoli. Inside are now 3 restaurants.

Here is a picture:

th_tivoliscottsbday001.jpg

and here is a picture of the Star Flier that I mentioned in the previous post:

th_tivoliscottsbday004.jpg

Oh - and one more ride that I think is worth the 2 tickets (esp. if you get the arm band) is the old fashioned cars. Adults can go on with kids... and I even think adults can go on by themselves if they want to.

Here is my son on them, and my daughter and my friend too...

th_tivoliscottsbday009.jpg

th_tivoliscottsbday010.jpg

th_tivoliscottsbday016.jpg

the other picture is of the Tivoli Boys Marching Band. I still haven't figured out when, exactly, they march through Tivoli, but the other day when we were there, we saw them twice. So i'm sure it's several times throughout the day. I will look to see if they have a schedule anywhere.

Hi FreedomWithCandles,

Do you know if scrapbooking has taken off in your area? Are there any scrapbooking stores in central Copenhagen? We are staying at the Palace for 2 nights before our cruise and one night after. When we were on an Alaskan cruise last summer, we found scrapbooking stuff at every port. What can I hope for in Scandinavia/Baltic area?

Thanks for all your pointers on this thread. I am very excited about this trip. Only a few more weeks now

Scrapbooking?

I don't think that it's really big here yet. My hubby's secretary has us buy all of her scrapbooking stuff (and most crafting stuff) from the States as the selection of stuff here is slim from what she says.

I will ask around though and see if I can locate any actual scrapbooking shops.

We do have "paper" type shops - that are more of an "art" store where you would find quality pens, pencils, paper, etc.

They include Bog & Idea and one more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I did just google Denmark Scrapbook and didn't get any hits... so I am quite sure that there aren't any stores that will be to the American Scrapbooking standards. ... unfortunately.

FreedomWithCandles,

The upper teens are both into sports and I doubt there's a cricket game (or even a soccer match) on at the time. Activity based stuff is sometimes good but not if we thought of it first. They didn't enjoy Copenhagen about four years ago and I don't anticipate they will this time round! Bike hire is an option, I think, and you've given details of that already.

Tony

Hey Tony!

If you are thinking that your upper teens (are they boys? I think that's what you said earlier) are able to use the bus to get to Charlottenlund Fort - - then that is where I suggest they go.

The amount of gorgeous "eye candy" to gawk at all day will surely keep them happy. I believe you can also rent kayaks there as well, if they fancy a kayak trip. There is also usually people kicking around a soccer ball, or doing frisbee... most teens are happy for the company, and will welcome in others.

NOTE - if you're weary of them seeing 1/2 naked women, then don't go to the beach. Denmark is "top optional" and most don't bother with them. Modesty is not big here, and people have no problem changing in front of you.

Also, joggers will stop by the beach (or anywhere they can get in the water), strip down and jump in the water... swim around a bit... and then get dressed and go off jogging some more.

SO - if you're ok with that - then I don't see anyother place that a bunch of teenage guys would rather be than watching the unbelievably gorgeous Danish women laying 1/2 naked on the beach. I'm sure that will surely cure any teen's "boredom" rather quickly. :D

LOL

All this information is wonderful! I know it's touristy, but we'd like to have dinner one evening in Tivoli. We'd like something decent, but where we can dress casually. Any recommendations?

First - no, it's not touristy at all! Tivoli is a MAJOR spot for everyone in Copenhagen! Most will come just to enjoy the gardens or the restaurants. So really, enjoying Tivoli is actually a very NORMAL thing for even us "locals" to do.

what do you mean by casual?

most restaurants in Tivoli will take you "as you are" - as long as you aren't in cut off shorts, open shirts, and plastic flip flops.

Dress respectfully, and you will have no problem getting in anywhere.

The Danes are NOT a stuffy bunch - most times nice jeans and a button down shirt pass as "office formal" - - so no worries to come to Tivoli in ball gowns or tails.

:D

I coulda sworn that I saw a post on here asking about Illums Bolighus.

Now I can't find it...

Anyway - yes, Illums is on the Stroget and is a GREAT store!

There are two - Illum which is more clothing, and Illums Bolighus which is the housewares, glass, textiles, etc.

LOVE puttering around in there!

So yes - that is one of my highly recommended shops to hit while on the Stroget.

For reference -

You will find it in what I call the "sexy" section of the Stroget.

This is where the HOHO tour stops for the Canal ride. This is where my fave restaurant (Cafe Nordin & The Dubliner) are located. This is where you will find Royal Copenhagen, Georg Jensen and other great shops.

If you only do this one little part of the Stroget, then you can rest assured that you saw Danish high end shopping at it's best.

ok, so there are TWO major piers in CPH (boy! you learn something new everyday!).

When I reference the PIER in all my posts UP TO HERE - I am referring to Langeliene

Freeport is the "other pier" and I will get down there today or tomorrow to scope it out and see what is there.

SO - check to see where you are pulling in to.... it may not be the pier that I've posted pics of, etc.

Hello!

I was at the airport today and spoke with several cab drivers.

1) They ALL do take American credit cards - so that is great!

2) a "typical" cab ride from the airport to Langelinie (and probably Freeport, as they are not too far apart) is roughly 200DKK or $40.

3) You can get the CPH card at the INFORMATION desk right at the airport, so you can take the train directly into town if that is your plan. Especially good if your hotel is on a train stop. S-Tog is the major "train" line. So ask what S stop they are closest to.

HOTELS:

As I drove by the Scandic today I realized just how FAR it really is from the City Center. There is nothing there... its even a bit further out than the Marriott... which I consider pretty far out. So - while a GREAT hotel, do plan on taxi or bus rides into the city center.

However, as I was talking to hubby, he reminded me that THE hotel that my he puts his VIP guests in is The Admiral Hotel (www.admiralhotel.dk) This is directly across the street(ish) from Amalienborg. GORGEOUS views if you get the water side, and it's got a wonderful restaurant right on premis.

In that same general area is the the CLARION Hotel Neptun (http://www.choicehotels.no/hotels/hotel?hotel=dk006)

This hotel is decently near Amalienborg and Nyhaven.

Another one that I drive by quite frequently is the Comfort Hotel in Osterport. This is right AT Osterport train station and is an easy train ride from the Airport directly to the hotel. Then from there, the city is easily accessible from the Stog, busses, etc. BEWARE - if you are a light sleeper or really super picky, do not stay here as it is LITERALLY almost on the train tracks. You can get rooms on the other side, that will be quieter. For LOCATION near to the train and pier only, this is a good spot.

If having an airport shuttle to/from your hotel is important - you may want to check out this site:

http://www.internationalairportguide.com/hotels/copenhagen_airport_hotels.html

as it will list those hotels that are "associated" with the airport in some manner. Note that the Scandic is listed here as well as the Hilton.

Another website that I came across is a private airport transfer service. Their fees seem quite high to me - especially when you can get a cab for less. But, I know that some would rather go the "white glove" way:

http://www.world-airport-transfer.com/airport-transfer.php?airport_transfer_city=Copenhagen

We will be on the Grand Princess, from 9am to midnight.

Do you know where they dock. Where would we buy our tickets for the HOHO bus. Can we buy the tickets in advance over the internet. Would we be able to do all 3 tours in 1 day. If not which one would you do.

It is always nice to get information from people that live there, THANKS for all your help.

We will be on the Grand Princess, from 9am to midnight.

Do you know where they dock. Where would we buy our tickets for the HOHO bus. Can we buy the tickets in advance over the internet. Would we be able to do all 3 tours in 1 day. If not which one would you do.

It is always nice to get information from people that live there, THANKS for all your help.

I'm not sure where the Grand princess docks... your cruise line should hopefully be able to tell you that. I was down at Freeport today and it is a lot smaller than Langilinie - - so I'm guessing who docks where is a question of the size of the ship.

You can get your HOHO tickets ahead of time via the internet and print off your tickets - search this thread for the website.

There are 3 "lines" and the BEST one (IMHO) is the Mermaid Tour. My favorite "combo" is the Mermaid Tour and the Canal tour. The other two lines are interesting, but if you want to really dig in to any of the castles, or other attractions, then I would stick with only the Mermaid Tour ... add in the canal tour if you're not walkers.... and prefer to be sitting most of the day.

Does that make sense?

Just was driving downtown today and saw a favorite hotel of mine - The Adina!

Why I didn't think of this before is beyond me. They are very near to the piers and Osterport station (no worries of train track noise though - so probably a better location for MOST than the Comfort Inn on the tracks!).

They have studio, one and two bedrooms available... they also feature a GREAT restaurant with a wonderful weekend buffet brunch (we go often) and a nice pool.

www.adina.dk

FWC- Is there a food market that specializes in local foodstuffs? Farmers markets and grocery stores are one of my wife's favorite things to experience when on tour. Thanks, DMaugle

There aren't a whole lot of Farmers Markets (as I know them from the 'States) here in CPH.

HOWEVER - there are a TON and I mean a TON of "green grocers" all over town. They have Danish fruits, veggies, nuts, and even some honey, jams, etc.

You can find them LITERALLY everywhere you go.

However - one that is drawing quite a bit of stir - and possibly the closest thing to an actual "farmers market" is in Nørrebro. You can read more here:

http://thecopenhagenreport.blogspot.com/2007/05/bringing-farm-to-nrrebro.html

**Nørrebro**

Nørrebro is the proverbial "melting pot" of Copenhagen where you will find that "trendy" meets "blue collar". Lots of artsy fartsy things, hip happening things, and just fun and funky things.

If you need to do a load of wash (yes, laundry) then you HAVE to do it at The Laundromat Cafe in Nørrebro. Heck, even if you don't have to do laundry, it's a cool place to visit.

Here is a snippet about it (and the part of town) from the owner:

"We like to think of Norrebro as our SoHo," said Fridrik Weisshappel, the lanky, co-owner of the Laundromat Cafe, Elmegade 15, (45) 35-35-26-72. His cheerful, bright orange establishment opened in August and has become a popular hangout for hip Danes in thrift-store attire, who come to dine on Icelandic fish soup (the house specialty, $24, at 5.7 kroner to the dollar), peruse used books or clean their vintage T-shirts and skirts in industrial washers and dryers. "I get the same buzz and energy in Nørrebro as I do when walking around downtown New York," Mr. Weisshappel said.

Archived