I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

some small corrections.

The 2 zone single ticket cost 24 DKK and is valid for 1 hour.

Bus 26 stops at Indiakaj at the bottom of Langelinie Pier and they accept EURO and USD, but only notes and you will be giving back in danish coins.

Østerport is only a 15-20 minute walk away.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langelinie+All%C3%A9,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Oslo+Plads,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.695027,12.593486&spn=0.007365,0.01929&sll=55.695511,12.593572&sspn=0.007365,0.01929&geocode=FcTkUQMd2kLAACntMywP3VJSRjE_T-yaL8rkaw%3BFVvLUQMdxQ_AACm5wxa8HVNSRjFg06cIJaEiSA&oq=oslo&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

The harbour bus only stops at the nearby Nordre Toldbod

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/pages/buslinje.aspx?direction_gid=9014200399110000&line_gid=9011200399100000&line_name=991&journey_gid=9025200000010765#navigate

I still have my notes from the trip (pre-trip). We didn't stop in Gotheburg, so can't help with that, but DID stop in the other ports. Other than St. Petersburg, we did all of our touring on our own using public transportation and walking. The Baltic ports, in general, are great for that, and there are plenty of things you can do on your own with minimal expense or travel time. I loved each port - great part of the world!

If you'd like my notes (they're in Word) send me an email and I'll send them to you. My email is howardruthalliejoey@gmail.com My only caveat is that the notes were compiled around June/July 2012 from various sources and may not be 100% accurate or up to date!

I greatly appreciate the offering of your notes if it is not too much trouble. I am an "information junkie" and I would really enjoy seeing what you gathered in your research. I know how much work goes into planning for this kind of journey and I am grateful that you are willing to share with others. I will email you tomorrow if that is okay. Thanks again.

Cristina

Danish Viking - Hope all is well with you. Based upon all the generous amount of info you have given, I want to make sure I understand the following:

We will be staying at the Clarion Neptune (2 elderly ladies). We are in need of transportation from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to the pier, from the pier to the airport and an occasional ride from local spot where we can walk one way but not back. Such as the pedestrian street or tivoli, Can we do this all by using a Klippekart or is there a better option?

Danish Viking will give better info, but I will add (in advance) that if the Neptune is near the Central Station it's easy to take the train from the airport to the station using klippekort. We purchased a booklet of 10 (around $25 in August) at the airport and then took the train. My husband (62) had asked for a wheelchair when we landed, and the wonderful person who wheeled him around took us through passport control and baggage, to a money exchange place, to the bus/train "store" in the airport, to the elevator for the appropriate train and out to the tracks. (I forget if it's the S-tog or what, but the elevator was fairly close and easy, and the guy who helped us was knowledgeable and spoke excellent English.) Once we got downstairs, our guy asked if we were OK at that point (without the wheelchair) and left when we said yes. We almost forgot we had to clip the klippekort cards (3 for 2 people in August, from what I remember, but I could be wrong) and looked for the clip boxes. One was located near the door we had come through (small free standing box - easy to miss) so we went to clip them. With luggage the train was doable, but obviously you don't want to dawdle too much in getting on! If I'm thinking of the right train (we took several in the Baltic) there were places mid-way through each car to store luggage; smaller stuff could go on racks up top.

We were going to the Marriott (cruise line picked that airport) which is near Tivoli. It was pretty close to the Central Station, but with bags and my husband's diabetic feet, we just took a cab. The whole thing was pretty easy, although having someone wheeling a wheelchair obviously made things seem easier and quicker than it might be if you were doing the walking/finding airport locations by yourself.

The electric bus 11A, if it's running when you're there (it does not run all days/times) goes a lot of places for tourists, and the harbor "bus" is helpful, too. Klippekort can be used on those. I don't know what buses are located near the Neptune, but when I was researching, I found that it wasn't that hard to use the movia.dk (I think - site Danish Viking mentions above) public transportation web site to see what buses passed near a particular spot.

Danish Viking your opinion please:

We are arriving in Copenhagen at 11am and only have that day to site see. Would you recommend the hop on hop off excursion so we see a little bit of everything? Is there a particular excursion that you would recommend since we only have 60% of the day to site see?

@ salboz

From the airport to your hotel you can use metro line M2 to Kongens Nytorv and walk from there a single ticket costs 36 DKK but when i know the other details I can probably make it cheaper.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Kongens+Nytorv,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=hotel+neptun&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.67871,12.588637&sspn=0.007368,0.01929&geocode=FcubUQMdhw3AAClRrWL0F1NSRjEIMYQMr-9H1w%3BFf6gUQMdmSLAACHJfDHZLMrCkik5CC7dIlNSRjHJfDHZLMrCkg&oq=kongens+&gl=dk&mra=ls&t=m&z=17

For the rest of the questions i need to know how many days you are in Copenhagen precruise and what date your ship is departing and arriving.

@ justluv2cruisewithhubby

Any of the HO/HO busses will give you a good look of the city, the itinerary comes up to what you want to see.

http://www.city-discovery.com/copenhagen/hop_on_and_off_tours?gclid=CPjtgIC2jbQCFS56cAodm2QAjQ

http://www.stromma.dk/da/SIGHTSEEING-TURE/Hop-on-Hop-off-All-Lines/

http://www.sightseeing.dk/sys/overview/fp.php

Stromma also got the canal boat tours that are highly recommended.

@ salboz

From the airport to your hotel you can use metro line M2 to Kongens Nytorv and walk from there a single ticket costs 36 DKK but when i know the other details I can probably make it cheaper.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Kongens+Nytorv,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=hotel+neptun&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.67871,12.588637&sspn=0.007368,0.01929&geocode=FcubUQMdhw3AAClRrWL0F1NSRjEIMYQMr-9H1w%3BFf6gUQMdmSLAACHJfDHZLMrCkik5CC7dIlNSRjHJfDHZLMrCkg&oq=kongens+&gl=dk&mra=ls&t=m&z=17

For the rest of the questions i need to know how many days you are in Copenhagen precruise and what date your ship is departing and arriving.

We will be in Copenhagen around noon or earlier on the 17th of June. Haven't settled on the flight just yet. The ship is departing on the 19th of June so we will have some portion of the 17th and 19th and all of the 18th

How far is the walk from Kongens Nytorv? Don't expect we are physically capable of more than a couple of blocks, especially with luggage. Can't tell in English or metric how the map you provided translates. I thought the hotel info showed it to be very close to a station or would not have booked there.

Welcome back Danish Viking

Quick question...what is the difference between the klippekort tickets at 140 kr for 10 rides which can be shared for 2 people (5 rides each)and the City Pass for transportation for unlimited usage for 24 hrs at 70 kr per person? Thank you for all the information that you provide us!

How far is the walk from Kongens Nytorv? Don't expect we are physically capable of more than a couple of blocks, especially with luggage. Can't tell in English or metric how the map you provided translates. I thought the hotel info showed it to be very close to a station or would not have booked there.

According to the Google Map that Danish Viking provided, the distance from Kongens Nytorv to your hotel is 450 meters (about 5 min walk).

Danish Viking,

After reading about 70 pages of advice and seeing many repeats, I hate to pose my own questions. However, here I go :

Our ship (Ocean Orincess) will arrive at Freeport at 10 am and depart at 11pm on June 19... almost the longest day of the year. It will also be our 42nd anniversary. Your public transportation system intimidates me, so I thought it would be easiest if we used the HOHO bus. You said that they sometimes go to Freeport if there is a ship in port. I will check as it gets closer. Finally, my questions. Do you suggest purchasing tickets beforehand to avoid buying them at the bus? Is the HOHO bus itinerary circular so that you can return to the terminal on it? If so, I can't see where they say how late the buses run. If we stay in town for a nice anniversary dinner, will we miss the last HOHO bus? Also I have been on HOHO buses where you hate to get off because the line waiting to get back on is so long. Have you seen long lines about town at the stops?

I should say we are active early 60s so don't mind a lot of walking. However living in a town without much public transportation, simple bus and subway purchases seem complicated. If we DID decide to try the train and used your map to walk to it...we then go inside and do we have to use a machine to purchase a ticket or is there a person there to help. Sorry this sounds stupid but we had difficulty trying to purchase a ticket for a subway in the US recently and that was all in English to familiar places!

@ salboz

For your transportation need i will suggest that you buy the 72 hour citypass that cost 190 DKK.

You can use it from the airport to the hotel, to get around all days and finally you can use bus 26 towards Færgehavn Nord almost from the doorstep of your hotel.

From here you get off at kalkbrænderihavnsgade just outside the gate to the cruise terminal.

The bus stop is located on Odd Fellow Palæet .

If the 500 meters is to long from the metro station you can take the bus (15, 26 and others) one stop from Kongens Nytorv but its hardly worth it.

@ dolfans0704

The 2 zone klippekort is only valid for 1 hour in 2 zones.

The city pass is valid for 24 or 72 hours and is valid in zone 1, 2, 3 and 4 (including the airport)

@ pvmeistrel

If you buy the day ticket you can use the HO/HO tickets all the time but to be honest bus 26 is just as good.

The last bus is back at the pier 18:18 so after that you can use the S-train to Nordhavn and walk from there.

The times for Skudehavnsvej is the one that maches Kalkbrænderihavnsvej.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/26-0026-211012.pdf

Thank you Danish Viking for your reply. So would you say the City Pass is a better value? Also, what are your thoughts on visiting Tivoli if you are on a 1 day port stop? Is it worth while to at least walk around with limited time? I appreciate all your assistance. Thank you.

Welcome back Danish Viking

Quick question...what is the difference between the klippekort tickets at 140 kr for 10 rides which can be shared for 2 people (5 rides each)and the City Pass for transportation for unlimited usage for 24 hrs at 70 kr per person? Thank you for all the information that you provide us!

I'm laughing, because I had to make the same decision in August about whether to buy a 24 hour ticket or just a booklet of klippekorts. I ended up buying the klippekorts because we would be in Copenhagen more than 24 hours (although less than 48 hours!) and I thought the klippekorts would provide more flexibility. Most people will just want to buy a 24 hour pass, but here's why I bought my little booklet of klippekort:

At least back in August, there were no one-zone trips. You had to use 2 klippekorts (thin paper tickets that you punch in a box) for any ride within the main "downtown" area (my words, not the city's). To or from the airport is a three zone ride, so we needed 3 tickets per person. We were taken to the port the next day, so we only needed enough tickets to get around the city. You can also share them, which was nice, since I didn't think my husband would need a lot of trips before he was ready for a nap to overcome his jetlag! (I was right!)

For most cruisers, I would think a 24 hour pass would be ideal, as you don't have to worry about remembering to find a box and clip tickets, and don't have to worry about many trips you're taking and whether you'll need more klippekorts. I guess what steered me away from buying the 24 hour ticket/pass was the fact that we got in a day early, and weren't leaving for more than 24 hours, so I anticipated needing more than a 24 hour pass. I also knew that my husband would not want to do as much sightseeing as I did, so he wouldn't necessarily get full benefit from a 24 hour pass.

I actually ended up with some extra klippekort, as I did more walking and used public transportation less than expected, so I left them for someone who was on the same cruise after me (someone I "met" on cruise critic!)

Salboz: We were at a hotel that was maybe a five minute walk from the train station. We ended up taking a cab. While we could have walked without luggage (we're early 60's) we felt it would be too difficult dragging big suitcases around. I don't remember how much it cost (and yes, CPH is expensive) but it was worth it.

pvmeistrel: I was in your town Thanksgiving week to see that beautiful lighthouse! The LA area needs to get more public transportation, that's for sure! The freeways nearly killed me.

Thank you Danish Viking and Roothy. As best as I can figure out, we will need to walk about the length of 5 US football fields. Sound right? Might be something we can handle. Will see when time comes, but if we take it easy, should be ok. No rush. We only bring 1 larger bag and my carry-on hooks onto my big bag so only need to drag 1 bag.

Thank you Roothy for your explanation. Makes sense now why you would purchase the tickets as opposed to the City Pass. Can you give me your thoughts on visiting Tivoli? We are in port from 9:00 - 5:00 and would really like to do an inside visit to Rosenberg Palace. Is both possible? I hare to be rushed! Thanks for your recommendations!

Archived