I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Now I'm curios, what is the tax level in the US with a regular income.

I get around 5-6000 USD pr month and I pay 42%.

But to that number it has to be noted that the first aprox 1000 USD is taxfree so I pay 42% of 4-5000 USD.

2012 Federal Tax brackets based on single (not joint) filing:

10% - up to $8,350

15% - $8,350 to $33,950

25% - $33,951 to $82,250

28% - $82,251 to $171,550

33% - $171,551 to $372,950

35% - over $372,950

One must also add in state taxes (which varies from state to state)

The above Federal tax rates (know as the "Bush tax cuts") are currently set to expire at midnight Dec. 31st. Before the tax cuts, the highest marginal Federal income tax rate was 39.6 percent. After the cuts, the highest rate is 35 percent.

There is currently much debate in congress regarding the tax cuts. Pres Obama wants to raise the tax rate for those earning over $250,000 back to the pre Bush rates. If congress does not act before Dec 31st (and chances appear slim that they will) then the rate rises for everyone.

jill

So one with my income will pay 25% in taxes.

I know that 42% sounds high but we do get free education and free hospitals.

But I would prefer to pay less in taxes and then only things like critical injurys (like Being in a car crash) or cancer treatments was being covered by the healthcare.

So if you were sick you will have to pay a small fee to get treatment.

Hello again Danish Viking. Many thanks for all your time given to total strangers. I'm wondering if there is a way you can show us how to say some of the more common terms such as: please, thank you, how much, too much, excuse me

For example is tak pronounced with a long a like in take or more like the o in tock?

Jeg Ønsker dig og dinne, (sp) et rigtig godt Nyt År, ;)

fra vest køsten af Canada.

Hilsen Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 31 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24thh cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

25thcruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

26th cruise - Royal Princess, 14 November - 01 December, 2013, Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

We will arrive back in Copenhagen aboard Vision of the Seas on Wednesday, June 19. I assume we will dock about 7:00. We have found a good inexpensive, flight non-stop to the USA that departs about 11:30 am. Could we reasonably make that flight, figuring that we have to get to CPH, check our luggage, go through passport control, etc. We plan to take a taxi to CPH from the pier, and can also carry off our own bags if necessary. What do you think?

We will arrive back in Copenhagen aboard Vision of the Seas on Wednesday, June 19. I assume we will dock about 7:00. We have found a good inexpensive, flight non-stop to the USA that departs about 11:30 am. Could we reasonably make that flight, figuring that we have to get to CPH, check our luggage, go through passport control, etc. We plan to take a taxi to CPH from the pier, and can also carry off our own bags if necessary. What do you think?

Check on your cruise itinerary as to to the time they recommend for flights.

Wow what a thorough job you doing! So I'll start by making an apology. I'm sorry that I've been too lazy to read through the entire thread, so don't know if this has come up before. We're flying in from the UK the day before our cruise sets sail. We should check in to our hotel, the Copenhagen Towers, early afternoon. We're intending to drop everything in the room, heading to the station and getting into town asap. Then we're aiming to walk from Tivoli area to Kongens Nytorv along Stroget and along various sidestreets. We're hoping to eat somewhere nearKongens before resuming our walk on up to the Little Mermaid. From there we'll head for the train back to the hotel. We're assuming that the late evening will give us time to complete this walk without missing too much.

Is this doable? What difference might it make to do the walk in reverse? I'm not aware of Copenhagen being especially unsafe for tourists, but just think that it could be better to walk into the centre rather than away. Any good suggestions for evening meal, about £10-£15 per head ($15-$20)?

There are some good restaurants at Gråbrødretorv, a little cozy square located between 2 small sidestreet called Klosterstræde and Niels Hemmingsens gade on the middle part of Strøget.

The cheapest are a turkish buffet restaurant (aprox 10£) but Jensens Bøfhus fits your budget very nicely and remember to be there before 16 to get the lunch discount.

Both Kongens Nytorv metro station and the central station is located in the downtown area so it doesn't matter if you take Strøget from one end or the other.

Hi CruisinEurope or anyone else who can help,

We plan on purchasing the Copenhagen Card (the 24 hour one) for one of the days we are in Copenhagen. We want to go see some of the castles with the card. I have been trying to read up on the transportation but am still confused. We want to go to Kronborg Castle and Frederiksborg Castle/Gardens. We will be staying at a hotel near the Tivoli Gardens and want to use our Copenhagen card to get to the castles/get in to the castles. I can't seem to find for sure if the copenhagen card works to get us on a train to the Kronborg castle. Has anyone done this with the card before? If so, any help on how to get there from somewhere near Tivoli would be great! Same thing with Fredericksborg. We are doing this all in one day so we figured we'd go to Kronborg castle first and then take the train from there to Fredicksborg so that we can spend time in the gardens as well. Train numbers or any info would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!

All transportation is covered with the CPH Card.

First you have to take the Øresund train to Helsingør (end of the line) this train departs every 20th minute and takes aprox 45 minutes.

Then you'll need a local train from Helsingør to Hillerød where Frederiksborg Castle is located.

This train also goes ever 20th minute.

The castle is in walking distance from the train station but there is a bus that I can't remember the number for atm.

Going back to Copenhagen you just need to take the S-train.

On weekdays its line E but in the weekends and on special occasions like construction its the all stop line A instead.

Hello Danish Viking

Thank you for continuing the thread started by "CrusinEurope", you both have done a superb job.

By the way, CruisinEurope just stopped all posting on Cruise Critic. What happened to her?

I have several questions.

Is there a website to learn the current price of the CPH Card ?

Does the CPH offer a senior (over 65) discounted price?

We're booked at the Hotel Maritime (Peder Skrams gade 19) for 5 nights in May. In your opinion, have I made a good choice?

Thank you for your help.

John

Hello Danish Viking

Thank you for continuing the thread started by "CrusinEurope", you both have done a superb job.

By the way, CruisinEurope just stopped all posting on Cruise Critic. What happened to her?

I have several questions.

Is there a website to learn the current price of the CPH Card ?

Does the CPH offer a senior (over 65) discounted price?

We're booked at the Hotel Maritime (Peder Skrams gade 19) for 5 nights in May. In your opinion, have I made a good choice?

Thank you for your help.

John

Danish Viking

Since posting my questions earlier today, I've found your previous post indicating that there are NO senior discounts for the CPH card AND the link to ordering the card on line.

BUT, when I went to the link, it indicates that the visit must be before April 1, 2013. When will the CPH cards for May be available??

ALSO, was unable to find a location near my hotel to purchase a card. Where is the nearest purchase place in the Nyhavn area (near the Hotel Maritime) ??

Finally, I the site did not list HoHo Bus discounts. Has that been discontinued ??

John

We appreciate all of your advice. We will be in your city for two days prior to our cruise in June. We had been planning to go to the Ice Bar at Hotel 27 but now I understand that it has closed. Do you know if this is true?

Another question - Do we need to book Netto boat tours ahead of time if we are there during the first week in June or can we just show up? Thanks for your help.

I e-mailed Stromma for Sunday June 2--this is their reply

We do not know the schedule for 2 June yet. However we normally have departures roughly every ½ hour. The last departure is at 6pm, at the earliest.

This is on the Netto website. It looks as though they only take bookings for 9+ in June

http://www.havnerundfart.dk/canaltours/index.php?page=sejlplaner.php

@ rurn0321

No its the new owner of the hotel that doesn´t want the bar to continue.

@ Uniall

What happened to CruisinEurpe?? I really don´t know to be honest so I won´t speculate in that.

The location of the hotel is almost spot on but there are a few complains over noise from the other rooms.

Tripadviser.com rates it at number 46 out of 111 hotels in Copenhagen with a rating of 3,5 out of 5.

But don´t be nervous about that because the hotel standard in Copenhagen is generally very high.

The new Copenhagen Card for this season is first available from march this year and i suspect that the new (and old) deals are revealed then.

The canal tour sells the card from Nyhavn just next to Kongens Nytorv.

If you are arriving by plane then both DSB (state railways) and the service counter, both located in terminal 3 will sell the card.

.....@ Uniall

What happened to CruisinEurpe?? I really don´t know to be honest so I won´t speculate in that.

The location of the hotel is almost spot on but there are a few complains over noise from the other rooms.

Tripadviser.com rates it at number 46 out of 111 hotels in Copenhagen with a rating of 3,5 out of 5.

But don´t be nervous about that because the hotel standard in Copenhagen is generally very high.

The new Copenhagen Card for this season is first available from march this year and i suspect that the new (and old) deals are revealed then.

The canal tour sells the card from Nyhavn just next to Kongens Nytorv.

If you are arriving by plane then both DSB (state railways) and the service counter, both located in terminal 3 will sell the card.

Danish Viking

Thank you for your rapid reply. I have several follow up questions.

We are arriving by ship (not plane) and will be spending 5 nights in Copenhagen. That's why I asked about locations to pick up a CPH Card. The CPH website has a click on drop down box listing the locations to obtain the card. BUT, being unfamilier with the location names, I don't know which ones are closest to our Nyhavn hotel.

Am I correct that the Canal Tour office at the end of the Hyhavn Canal sells the CPH card? I didn't see it listed on the On Line Drop Down Box.

Thanks for your help.

John

Archived