I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hi FreedomWithCandles::)

We have our first Baltic cruise booked for August 2009, with Princess, and we will be leaving from your wonderful city. All of the information you have provided is greatly appreciated. I had one question I hadn't seen mentioned and that's about the weather. I know it varies from year to year, but I originally booked this cruise for September of 2009, and then I was looking at the weather for the ports of call: After we embark in Copenhagen we cruise to Stockholm Sweden; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; Gdynia, Poland; Warnemunde, Germany; Helslingborg, Sweden; and back to Copenhagen. The weather averages for September seemed to be quite cool, so I changed our cruise to August. I know that is the peak travel season, and I don't really mind the crowds, I was just wondering about the weather. Is there a rainy season there? Are the temps usually pretty warm in August?

Thanks....Happy Cruising...Sparkle 10 (Anita):p

PS This will be our 47th cruise, but the first time to see ports of call. I'm really looking forward to it.:rolleyes:

Thank you for answering my question on the previous page! Your information was helpful! Now that you mentioned Danish lace and glass, etc ... what in your opinion would be considered a good steal/buy? I'm trying to figure out how much cash I should bring and set aside for buying souvenirs.

Speaking of Royal Copenhagen--when you visit their store, remember to go to the Seconds Shop. They have (or had--I was there 7 years ago) gorgeous pieces that were second quality, but I certainly couldn't tell--except from the price tag. They have some beautiful figurines depicting children in traditional Danish clothing. And they'll ship them home--three of us combined orders, and they beat us home. :)

Hi FreedomWithCandles

You have such great information. We have 6 in our group and would like to bike around to see everything. We are in for 1 day in Aug. Is there bike rentals? Thanks Trish

Thank you for answering my question on the previous page! Your information was helpful! Now that you mentioned Danish lace and glass, etc ... what in your opinion would be considered a good steal/buy? I'm trying to figure out how much cash I should bring and set aside for buying souvenirs.

That is SUCH a hard question. Honestly, my mantra is that you "only regret what you do not buy".

If you see it, and it speaks to you - and you can afford it - - then I think that is a great buy.

There are just too many variables to consider - and Copenhagen is not a "budget" or "steal" type of place.

There is a Royal Copenhagen "outlet" that is accessible via bus - and they have some great prices.... but other than that... really it would be way too hard for me to give you some type of "guideline" on specific pieces, etc. without knowing who you are, what your tastes are, what your budget is, etc. Y'know?

Thanks for all of this great info - we are traveling with a 5,7 and 9 year old - what do you think they would enjoy?

Also what should we buy from this stop?

Thanks

i just posted a block about CPH and Kids. I think that list works well with your age group too.

:D

lots depends on HOW LONG you have in the city.

Thank you ever so much, FreedomWithCandles, for all of your tips. I am extremely grateful for all of your suggestions (as well as those from swdke and Danish viking). I too will be coming into Copenhagen in advance of my cruise, and would like your advice for a "splurge" meal. I have heard of Restaurant Noma, Era Ora, Geranium and Sollerod Kro, etc. Would you go to any those restaurants (without kids) for a special evening out, or is it just not worth it considerring the price in your point of view? I thought Sollerod Kro might be a more "Danish" experience (out in the "burbs").

Thanks ever so much for your assistance with all of us "anxious" cruisers!!

Alan.

wow. if truly you are looking to SPLURGE - - then I can highly recommend St. Gertruds Kloster - it's an amazing place and an amazing experience. Hauser Plads 32 Copenhagen, Denmark Phone: (45) 33-14-66-30 Fax: Reservations are an ABSOLUTE MUST. You're looking at an easy $1k for 2 (especially if you are wine enthusiasts).

Get your hands on a copy of the 2008 Michelin guide and you can find several other Danish restaurants worthy of a splurge.

A Danish Kro is basically a tavern/inn. Some are very upscale, some are your average bar next door. Sollerod is a good bus ride from the center of town - - you will see lots of great Danish homes though, complete with thatched roofs, etc.

Enjoy!!

What great practical advice about Copenhagen. Will be there on August 18 for one day - Constellation. Do you know if there are ATM's at the pier and if this is the best place to exchange money? We dock at 7am.

i would bet that there would be atm's at the pier mall. not sure if it's the "best" place to exchange money...

if you can get in to town a bit and use a "regular bank atm" you may do better.

honestly don't know what each bank charges though - and I'm not sure which bank or which machine is at the pier....

sorry to not be of more help.

Maybe you can change say $100 before you leave at your home bank???

Hi FreedomWithCandles::)

We have our first Baltic cruise booked for August 2009, with Princess, and we will be leaving from your wonderful city. All of the information you have provided is greatly appreciated. I had one question I hadn't seen mentioned and that's about the weather. I know it varies from year to year, but I originally booked this cruise for September of 2009, and then I was looking at the weather for the ports of call: After we embark in Copenhagen we cruise to Stockholm Sweden; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; Gdynia, Poland; Warnemunde, Germany; Helslingborg, Sweden; and back to Copenhagen. The weather averages for September seemed to be quite cool, so I changed our cruise to August. I know that is the peak travel season, and I don't really mind the crowds, I was just wondering about the weather. Is there a rainy season there? Are the temps usually pretty warm in August?

Thanks....Happy Cruising...Sparkle 10 (Anita):p

PS This will be our 47th cruise, but the first time to see ports of call. I'm really looking forward to it.:rolleyes:

if i went off of last year, i'd say to pack for fall weather. it was a COLD summer here last year.

regardless of month, I always recommend packing layers. good shoes that can get wet, and a travel umbrella are also a "must" in your Denmark suitcase.

it can - and does - rain a lot here.

and it can - and often is - absolutely gorgeous.

the past 3 weeks we've had nothing but sunshine and temps flirting with 80. today, we had driving rain and it never made it above 60.

So - layers.

Hi FreedomWithCandles

You have such great information. We have 6 in our group and would like to bike around to see everything. We are in for 1 day in Aug. Is there bike rentals? Thanks Trish

yes, most bike stores have rentals. there are also what are called "city bikes" that you insert a coin in, take the bike, and then when you return the bike you get your coin back.

they are pretty hard to find though... .(the city bikes).

i'll have to do some digging and find out where the best bike rental places are near the pier....

Freedomwithcandles:

First off, I want to thank you for taking time to answer numerous questions in this thread. Very informative and interesting. We will be arriving on 8/18 the very day that the Crown Princess embarks. We saw your posting regarding catching the metro from the airport to near the pier and the taxi to pier. Is it doable with 3 adults with at least 1 large and 1 carryon baggage; do the people on train despise people with large luggage and can we fit into 1 cab?

We will be staying five nights at the Palace on 8/28 (Thursday) any recommendations? Oh, we made the hotel reservations last year, so I did not realize that it was that tough to get rooms in August.

Thanks

Thanks for answering my question about walking around Copenhagen. I will plan to walk to the Little Mermaid from the ship. Since I don't want to get to Tivoli until lunchtime, can we take HOHO boat from the Little Mermaid to Christianborg or Nyhaven and walk around from there? Also, if we only had time for either Christianborg or Rosenborg, which do you recommend that we see?

Freedomwithcandles:

First off, I want to thank you for taking time to answer numerous questions in this thread. Very informative and interesting. We will be arriving on 8/18 the very day that the Crown Princess embarks. We saw your posting regarding catching the metro from the airport to near the pier and the taxi to pier. Is it doable with 3 adults with at least 1 large and 1 carryon baggage; do the people on train despise people with large luggage and can we fit into 1 cab?

We will be staying five nights at the Palace on 8/28 (Thursday) any recommendations? Oh, we made the hotel reservations last year, so I did not realize that it was that tough to get rooms in August.

Thanks

Sink - - that made me laugh! Too funny. NO, people do not despise people with luggage on the trains here. As long as you can easily manage your own pieces, and they are not falling all over the place, you will be fine.

The cabs are certainly big enough for people with luggage. If you can find a "bike cab" (it will have a big picture of a bike on the outside doors) then that is your best bet. The entire cab has fold down seats and tons of floor space for bikes, buggies, and luggage. ;)

Since you're in for just one night at the start - you'll have to ask someone how to get you to Osterport station, and how to pay for it. It's not worth doing the CPH card for 1/2 day of sightseeing (unless you're REALLY ambitious!).

Do get one for your 5 night stay though - will make traveling so much easier.

Enjoy your stay!:D

Thanks for answering my question about walking around Copenhagen. I will plan to walk to the Little Mermaid from the ship. Since I don't want to get to Tivoli until lunchtime, can we take HOHO boat from the Little Mermaid to Christianborg or Nyhaven and walk around from there? Also, if we only had time for either Christianborg or Rosenborg, which do you recommend that we see?

you can take the HOHO to Nyhaven. That is a great place to walk around. Be sure to take a glimpse at the Royal Theater and Magasin (Scandinavia's largest Dept. store. Think Macy's in NYC).

If I could only do one - I would do Rosenborg. It is newly refinished and also has the crown jewels. The grounds are also very nice, and you are much more central to things like Tivoli, Amalienborg, etc.

DUH!

AMBER!

That is what you can buy in Copenhagen that is probably cheaper here than most places!!!

You can buy great pieces at the Amber Museum & Shop (several of them located around the city - my favorite one is located in Nyhaven at the foot of the canal).

You can find really inexpensive Amber (set in sterling, etc.) at some/most of the tourist shops. But the Amber Museum & Shop has everything set in 14K and is much higher quality.

A great pair of earrings can go for as low as $20 or so. They have some KNOCK OUT pieces that you can really indulge in too.

yes, most bike stores have rentals. there are also what are called "city bikes" that you insert a coin in, take the bike, and then when you return the bike you get your coin back.

they are pretty hard to find though... .(the city bikes).

i'll have to do some digging and find out where the best bike rental places are near the pier....

That would be great if you could find a bike rental near the pier.

Trish

For those of you staying in hotels - - ask your front desk if they have bikes to loan. A LOT of upper scale hotels are now installing their own fleet of bikes for use by their guests. So be sure to ask.

If you want bikes - this may be a "criteria" for choosing your hotel. Just a thought.

Here is the bike rental place that most everyone I know uses. It's in downtown CPH, but you can take a nice stroll from the pier to Østerport Station (next to track 13). (maybe a 1/2 mile walk from pier to train station).

http://www.rentabike.dk/English/firstpage.htm

Just know that biking is a way of life here in Denmark. You will not be alone on the bike paths - so be prepared for what can look like the Tour de France on the streets during both morning and evening rush hours.

The good news is that there is bike lanes EVERYWHERE - and riding your bike is extremely safe in CPH (if using common sense and taking the time to learn the proper hand signals). I suggest that you ask whoever rents you the bike for a quick tutorial on hand signs and the traffic lights (most have special lights for the bikes).

Happy biking!

I took DS down to the pier today to see if anyone was in - and the NCL Jewel was! I am uploading pics as I write and will post the link soon.

What I found at the pier:

- Western Union money changing place. Their rates seemed competitive

- Ticket / info booth for purchasing CPH cards, HOHO tickets, etc. Plenty of maps, books, etc. to help plan your way around town.

- Bus 26 (to get into downtown CPH)

- Many shops/restaurants/cafes that are newly opened (they weren't there last year!) MOST don't open until 11am though.

- HOHO bus stop

I also clocked the distance in my car from Osterport station to the pier and it is just over 1/2 mile. If you wind your way around Kastellet, it may be a bit longer due to weaving in and out. It's an easy downhill walk though... coming back you're going uphill a bit so bear that in mind.

th_sportsdayplaycruiseship151.jpg

One end of the pier - information / ticket office & a nice restaurant

th_sportsdayplaycruiseship157.jpg

Middle of the pier - there IS a house of Amber store here! Smaller, but they have good quality things. The one in Nyhaven is still my favorite.

th_sportsdayplaycruiseship155.jpg

NCL Jewel pierside

sportsdayplaycruiseship154.jpg

Hop On / Hop Off Bus tours right outside ship

sportsdayplaycruiseship158.jpg

This is how the bus signs read. Bus #, Stop name, direction of the bus.

sportsdayplaycruiseship159.jpg

The bus that stops at the pier. CPH city busses are yellow and have the Bus # and direction of bus posted on the front screen of the bus. VERY easy to navigate.

I have been enjoying your entire presentation, but forgot if you mentioned the price of the HOHO bus. Also, can you pay with credit cards or just DKK? Thanks for taking the time to do this. We'll be there in September.

Pia

I have been enjoying your entire presentation, but forgot if you mentioned the price of the HOHO bus. Also, can you pay with credit cards or just DKK? Thanks for taking the time to do this. We'll be there in September.

Pia

Thanks! I am really enjoying this - - may have to look into starting my own Tours! I would LOVE doing that!

Anyway - the HOHO tour price will vary depending on what route you want, and if you get a CPH card (they get a discount).

You can pay via any credit card right there where you get the bus - no need to use DKK.

You can read more about the HOHO tours here:

http://www.sightseeing.dk/media/filebank/org/leaflet2007.pdf

Great thread! We'll be in Copenhagen on Oriana in just over three weeks time. We've been there before, when we camped in Denmark a few years ago, so did much of the major town centre stuff. In some ways we'd like to do something a bit different. We'll have my mum with us this time and she may be in a wheelchair for long trips. We'll also have my brother and his kids (8/10) and they haven't visited the area before. I plan to suggest to the assembled family (there are 9 of us altogether) that we'll do one of the HOHO buses in the morning and then split up for the afternoon.

I quite fancy a look at Christiania. Would you recommend that as a place to visit? I do have a slight feeling of envy for people who follow 'alternative' lifestyles and it would be interesting to see. But I have seen some reviews and photographs which suggest that, rather than a happy, hippy community, it's an area where down and outs and drunkards roam.

Secondly, have you a recommendation for my teenagers (16/18) that I can let them discover themselves? If I suggest anything, they'll tell me it's rubbish. They'd actually be happy shopping but Europe's expensive for us this year, so I'll be trying to avoid that. When we booked, it looked like P&O were going to offer kayak harbour trips which would have been ideal. However, all their current offerings are dry, museum & castle. The kids are probably too old for the Tivoli, so I'm struggling a bit.

Thanks in advance

Tony

That is SUCH a hard question. Honestly, my mantra is that you "only regret what you do not buy".

If you see it, and it speaks to you - and you can afford it - - then I think that is a great buy.

There are just too many variables to consider - and Copenhagen is not a "budget" or "steal" type of place.

There is a Royal Copenhagen "outlet" that is accessible via bus - and they have some great prices.... but other than that... really it would be way too hard for me to give you some type of "guideline" on specific pieces, etc. without knowing who you are, what your tastes are, what your budget is, etc. Y'know?

I'm looking for something like a tea cup with saucer to add to my Nonna's tea cup collection (must have Denmark stamped to bottom), Amber (saw the post about it...thanks!), lace and maybe glassware. My budget would be something like $100 for souvenirs. I don't want to go too far away from my budget but don't mind upping it to $150. Unless I'm being totally unreasonable here?

I collect things from around the world and have an international collection of items from each country I've been to. Nothing too big but small enough to put into display case and easy to pack.

Great thread!

Thanks!

We'll be in Copenhagen on Oriana in just over three weeks time. We've been there before, when we camped in Denmark a few years ago, so did much of the major town centre stuff. In some ways we'd like to do something a bit different.

How long will you be here this time?

We'll have my mum with us this time and she may be in a wheelchair for long trips. We'll also have my brother and his kids (8/10) and they haven't visited the area before. I plan to suggest to the assembled family (there are 9 of us altogether) that we'll do one of the HOHO buses in the morning and then split up for the afternoon.

I quite fancy a look at Christiania. Would you recommend that as a place to visit? I do have a slight feeling of envy for people who follow 'alternative' lifestyles and it would be interesting to see. But I have seen some reviews and photographs which suggest that, rather than a happy, hippy community, it's an area where down and outs and drunkards roam.

Back in 'the day' it was an interesting (and i use that in the very essence of the word) place to visit. Now, though, since the main squatters house has been "overtaken" it's really a mess of a place. Disgruntled youth who don't want to grow up, drunks, and generally socially inept people wander about there now. It's really nothing to see. I have no idea why one would want to go there now...

Secondly, have you a recommendation for my teenagers (16/18) that I can let them discover themselves? If I suggest anything, they'll tell me it's rubbish. They'd actually be happy shopping but Europe's expensive for us this year, so I'll be trying to avoid that. When we booked, it looked like P&O were going to offer kayak harbour trips which would have been ideal. However, all their current offerings are dry, museum & castle. The kids are probably too old for the Tivoli, so I'm struggling a bit.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Depends on how much time you have... you don't mention if you're here for a day or a week...

if you can let me know that, and what your teens are typically "in to" - - i can give you some thoughts for the upper teens.

Archived