I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Thanks for the list of restaurants in Tivoli. I saw a restaurant that was both a brewery and had traditional Danish food: Færgekroen Bryghus. I e-mailed them and they take all credit cards. Have you heard anything about this restaurant. The picture looks like it is on a lake.

Thanks for the list of restaurants in Tivoli. I saw a restaurant that was both a brewery and had traditional Danish food: Færgekroen Bryghus. I e-mailed them and they take all credit cards. Have you heard anything about this restaurant. The picture looks like it is on a lake.

This is the one that my family, friends, and I ate at the other night. It was good. I had the fish, DH had the weinerschnitzel, and friend had the lamb. It wasn't SPECTACULAR or anything, but good. The view was great, and we were served VERY fast (think this has to do with their limited menu - - most is prepared quickly and probably ahead of time).

Not sure that I'd call what they served "traditional Danish food" - - but the kids menu did have frikadeller... which are Danish meatballs.

All in all, it was a very reasonably priced meal in a great setting, with food that we all thought was tasty.

I have friends that are going to be cruising your area in August. What will the weather be like?

If I knew that, I could make a fortune! LOL.

Seriously, it's weather. Who knows.

Last year August was pretty chilly actually - never really got upwards of 70degrees.

They are saying that we should have nice warm weather this summer - but I have no idea.

You may want to have them check out

http://www.dmi.dk/eng/index/forecasts.htm

prior to their cruise so they can see the up to the minute weather forecast.

This is widely regarded as THE weather checker....

though I've noticed that they are correct about the same time as anyone else....

"Not sure that I'd call what they served "traditional Danish food" - - but the kids menu did have frikadeller... which are Danish meatballs."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The link you gave me said "traditional Danish Food" so not quite sure what that mean either. I would like to go to someplace where the open sandwiches are served, so I will check out the other restaurants too. At least this one takes all credit cards.

"Not sure that I'd call what they served "traditional Danish food" - - but the kids menu did have frikadeller... which are Danish meatballs."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The link you gave me said "traditional Danish Food" so not quite sure what that mean either. I would like to go to someplace where the open sandwiches are served, so I will check out the other restaurants too. At least this one takes all credit cards.

LOL, yes, i saw that on the link too.

if you are out for a total splurge and want a bit of 'bragging rights' then it may be worth it to take cab over to IDA DAVIDSON's. (you may need reservations). That is the longest continually operating "sandwich shop" in CPH and serves a variety of over 300 Danish smorrebrod (the open sandwiches).

literally though, you can find a smorrebrod at most any decent cafe along town.

Here is a good website/review for eating in Denmark:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/09/AR2007030900727.html

Thanks. I will check some of the other places out. My husband likes the brewery idea but maybe we can grab some beer at Nyhaven and the sandwich for lunch.

you can tell hubby that he's not missing much. all you can see of the brewery are the tanks... no tour or anything. the beer was good though! :D

I know the Round Tower is a continuous ramp to the top and not stairs. How strenuous a walk is it?

It should not be strenuous, it's a very gradual incline/decline. Here's a link to a youtube video of the walk.

Video of view from top of Round Tower

Have fun,

Steve

I know the Round Tower is a continuous ramp to the top and not stairs. How strenuous a walk is it?

To be clear - there ARE steps at the top. About 20 or so of them I'd guess that go up in a pretty tight (and I mean TIGHT) spiral to the observation deck. (two people can't pass by each other on this staircase).

Strenuous? Well, not knowing ones athletic or cardiovascular ability - - it's hard for me to say. I personally think that it's not a big deal at all.

HOWEVER - we would never in a million years attempt to take our Nana up there as she really has quite a bit of trouble walking long distances and that "climb" would kill her (even though it's not stairs).

Now though - there ARE spots that you can stop and rest if you get winded going up (or down)... theres two "off shoots" that you can go wander around in and that breaks things up quite a bit.

I hope that helps.... I guess you just have to know your limits. If you can walk the length of the cruise ship, go up one flight of stairs, and then the another length of the ship - - then I think the Tower would be doable (easily).

If that trip of the ship would do you in... then you may want to forgo it... or at least aim to take it in small chunks.. stopping along the way.

it IS a great view from the top though! :D

ACK! Board ate my post.

Ok - the Round Tower DOES have SOME stairs at the tippy top. I'd say about 20 and it's a VERY (and I mean VERY) tight spiral. Two people have a hard time passing each other on these stairs.

The rest of the trip is a mild grade ramp that spirals UP In a very, very wide path. You can take a wheelchair up - but obviously have to leave it at the foot of the stairs. Can't go on deck with it.

As far as easy - - well, I think it's easy, but I'm also in shape.

I think that if you can walk the length of the ship, go up one flight of stairs, and then walk the length of the ship again... then you won't have any problems doing the Round Tower. If you can't do that... then I would think twice about attempting the climb. Or attempt it, just realize that you may need to sit and rest along the way.

The good news is that there are are spots to stop and rest... and there are even two Museum exhibit areas along the way to the top that you can go in to if you're needing a break.

So - I guess it's just that you have to know your limits.

Hi CE--Sorry if you've covered this.

How and where do you catch the train for Frederiksborg castle?

Is this worth doing? If so, anything in the area of the castle also worth seeing?

We were going to do the icebar, but I've read enough negatives on it to keep us out of there.

Hi CE--Sorry if you've covered this.

How and where do you catch the train for Frederiksborg castle?

Is this worth doing? If so, anything in the area of the castle also worth seeing?

We were going to do the icebar, but I've read enough negatives on it to keep us out of there.

You catch the regular S-tog.

There really isn't anything "noteworthy" out there besides the castle and its grounds. Well, except for my favorite sweater / souvenir shop.

If you only have one day - then skip it and do downtown.

if you will have a free day - then it's totally worth seeing (IMHO).

We are only interested in seeing the Tivoli gardens, not the amusement park. Is this all one complex so that you have to pay the entrance fee just to stroll the gardens?

Yes, there is an entrance fee, but it's not too expensive. It's not like paying admission for a US park, or Disney attraction. In fact, rides at Tivoli are extra.

Yes, there is an entrance fee, but it's not too expensive. It's not like paying admission for a US park, or Disney attraction. In fact, rides at Tivoli are extra.

A friend of mine was there 10 days ago and she said admission is $18.00.

Hi Jen (got your name from the various posts here, hope it's ok):

Just a continuation of the transfer question. So the best bet from the airport on Aug 18 is to take the metro from the airport to Norreport and transfer to S-tog to Osterport, then a cab to the pier (Crown Princess, so I'm assuming Langelinie cruise pier)? In terms of the transfer from Metro to S-tog, do we need to get another ticket or the transfer is free? Furthermore, I have read that bus #26 is in front of the Osterport station, could we get on with our luggage to get to pier?

Any suggestions on what to do with our luggage and/or ourselves (we get in CPH on Delta at 9AM, so most likely we will have cleared immigration and customs by 10:30AM, so will have too much time before we can check in at the ship (recommended that we show up after 2PM)?

We (party of 3 adults) will be getting back to Copenhagen via Crown Princess on Aug 28, what's your recommendation for getting to the Palace Hotel (1. taxi to osterport to central station, and walk over with our luggage; 2. taxi directly to Palace hotel; 3. Bus #26 directly to Palace hotel)?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi Jen (got your name from the various posts here, hope it's ok):

Just a continuation of the transfer question. So the best bet from the airport on Aug 18 is to take the metro from the airport to Norreport and transfer to S-tog to Osterport, then a cab to the pier (Crown Princess, so I'm assuming Langelinie cruise pier)? In terms of the transfer from Metro to S-tog, do we need to get another ticket or the transfer is free? Furthermore, I have read that bus #26 is in front of the Osterport station, could we get on with our luggage to get to pier?

Any suggestions on what to do with our luggage and/or ourselves (we get in CPH on Delta at 9AM, so most likely we will have cleared immigration and customs by 10:30AM, so will have too much time before we can check in at the ship (recommended that we show up after 2PM)?

We (party of 3 adults) will be getting back to Copenhagen via Crown Princess on Aug 28, what's your recommendation for getting to the Palace Hotel (1. taxi to osterport to central station, and walk over with our luggage; 2. taxi directly to Palace hotel; 3. Bus #26 directly to Palace hotel)?

Thanks so much for your help.

Just a heads up that the Crown docks at Frihavn (Freeport).

Archived