I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

You catch the regular S-tog.

There really isn't anything "noteworthy" out there besides the castle and its grounds. Well, except for my favorite sweater / souvenir shop.

If you only have one day - then skip it and do downtown.

if you will have a free day - then it's totally worth seeing (IMHO).

Where and what is the S tog? Thanks

Hi Jen (got your name from the various posts here, hope it's ok):

Just a continuation of the transfer question. So the best bet from the airport on Aug 18 is to take the metro from the airport to Norreport and transfer to S-tog to Osterport, then a cab to the pier (Crown Princess, so I'm assuming Langelinie cruise pier)? In terms of the transfer from Metro to S-tog, do we need to get another ticket or the transfer is free? Furthermore, I have read that bus #26 is in front of the Osterport station, could we get on with our luggage to get to pier?

Depends on if you have gotten the CPH card. If you do - then all of the transportation is free.

If you don't - then there are several ways that you can purchase tickets.

First check to be certain which pier you will be arriving at - as that will obviously determine your route.

As far as taking luggage on the bus - it's doable, but only if you can find a bus with an empty "middle" (that middle is usually for the big baby buggies and wheelchairs.). Otherwise, there really isn't anywhere to put luggage besides in the aisles (not safe) or on your laps (not comfy).

If you're not going to get the CPH card, then I would just take a cab from the airport directly to the pier.

Any suggestions on what to do with our luggage and/or ourselves (we get in CPH on Delta at 9AM, so most likely we will have cleared immigration and customs by 10:30AM, so will have too much time before we can check in at the ship (recommended that we show up after 2PM)?

I'm reading that some cruise lines will take your luggage earlier than you can check in. I would see if this is an option for you... otherwise you will have to rent lockers somewhere. Or you can use the "Cruise Lounge" at Magasin department store (top floor near the restaurant). I believe you have to show your cruise docs. Not 100% positive what the deal is with the luggage... if there is a locked room or what.

We (party of 3 adults) will be getting back to Copenhagen via Crown Princess on Aug 28, what's your recommendation for getting to the Palace Hotel (1. taxi to osterport to central station, and walk over with our luggage; 2. taxi directly to Palace hotel; 3. Bus #26 directly to Palace hotel)?

I think that once you see CPH the first day, you will have a good idea of how you want to get back to the hotel. The ride will be relatively cheap, as the piers aren't toooo far from the Hotel you mentioned.

Thanks so much for your help.

Enoy!

Thanks for all the helpful info. I believe that I'll save my $18. That's a lot to wander around looking at flowers. I believe I'll spend my time and money on other sites in Copenhagen.

Just a note - - -

Tivoli IS the quintessential Copenhagen. The story behind it, why it was built, and then the continual operation and upgrades and what not are just a neat thing. Tivoli IS (at least sentimentally) Copenhagen.

You can certainly NOT do it - and that is everyone's individual choice obviously - - but I truly think that it's something that is iconic to Copenhagen.

What's the easiest way to get back and forth to Tivoli from the pier?

Is it walkable? My youngest is 9 and she's good for a couple of kilometers.

Is it better/easier by bus? And how would we pay for it?

Thanks!

I'm wondering about getting to Tivoli from the pier also. My husband uses a handicapped scooter, can the buses take something like that? Thanks so much for all your wonderful information, traveling with his scooter complicates things and it's great to have advance knowledge of what to expect. My daughters do want to go to Tivoli though if it's doeable.

Jen:

Thank you so much for the indepth response. Great advice. I have so much fun reading this thread and have copied the posts to MS word which I will bring with us on the trip. You have been so kind.

We are thinking about getting the gold pass for Tivoli for the 3 of us. It would make total sense if we were to do the park for 1 whole day with the unlimited ride option and then go back in the evenings for two of the five nights we're in Copenhagen. What is your thoughts?

We will also get the CPH card (72 hour version) and go out and see the various sights (including a day trip to Fredericksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle) is it possible to also do the ferry to Sweden and back that afternoon (most likely Sunday 8/31)?

Since we will be there for 5 days with 1 full day devoted to Tivoli (or is that too much time), should we get both the 24 hour and 72 hour CPH card for a total of 4 full days, or is that an overkill?

What's the easiest way to get back and forth to Tivoli from the pier?

Is it walkable? My youngest is 9 and she's good for a couple of kilometers.

Is it better/easier by bus? And how would we pay for it?

Thanks!

if you do a thread search for Tivoli on this thread, you will see that I've addressed that quite a bit. :D

ditto on the bus, etc.

a LOT depends on what else you plan to do that day. You can add it in with the HOHO (it stops in front of tivoli) etc.

I'm wondering about getting to Tivoli from the pier also. My husband uses a handicapped scooter, can the buses take something like that? Thanks so much for all your wonderful information, traveling with his scooter complicates things and it's great to have advance knowledge of what to expect. My daughters do want to go to Tivoli though if it's doeable.

HMMMM check out http://www.dsb.dk and read up on handicapped scooters. to be honest, I've never noticed them... and not 100% sure of the answer.

they can take huge baby buggies, etc. so I don't logically see why they couldn't do one.... but you may have to wait a few busses before one is empty enough to accomodate it.

If the rest of your party can walk comfortably for a few miles (with stops) then you may want to just walk the distance and stop along the way at places like Rosenborg, Amalienborg, etc. Totally up to you and your time in CPH.

sorry i couldn't have been more help. i will ask around and try to find out more info.

thanks CruisenEurope for the link. If it's only a couple of miles maybe we'll walk there and get a hoho bus back to the pier.

Thanks again for all your posts, the info has been great.

Hello, I am new to cruising and new to cruise critics. Would you please help me by coping the link to your Tivoli Thread. I looked but could not find it.

Thank you very much.

Kathy

if you do a thread search for Tivoli on this thread, you will see that I've addressed that quite a bit. :D

ditto on the bus, etc.

a LOT depends on what else you plan to do that day. You can add it in with the HOHO (it stops in front of tivoli) etc.

Hello, I am new to cruising and new to cruise critics. Would you please help me by coping the link to your Tivoli Thread. I looked but could not find it.

Thank you very much.

Kathy

You have to use the search function for the thread. There have been MANY posts on Tivoli... not just one post.

By using the search function, all posts that contain the word Tivoli will be displayed for you.

Jen:

Thank you so much for the indepth response. Great advice. I have so much fun reading this thread and have copied the posts to MS word which I will bring with us on the trip. You have been so kind.

We are thinking about getting the gold pass for Tivoli for the 3 of us. It would make total sense if we were to do the park for 1 whole day with the unlimited ride option and then go back in the evenings for two of the five nights we're in Copenhagen. What is your thoughts?

We will also get the CPH card (72 hour version) and go out and see the various sights (including a day trip to Fredericksborg Castleand Kronborg Castle) is it possible to also do the ferry to Sweden and back that afternoon (most likely Sunday 8/31)?

I totally think that a visit to Kronborg and a ferry trip to Sweden are do-able in one day.

Since we will be there for 5 days with 1 full day devoted to Tivoli (or is that too much time), should we get both the 24 hour and 72 hour CPH card for a total of 4 full days, or is that an overkill?

The cool thing about the CPH card is that you can get them when you need them. If you're spending a whole day at Tivoli, then I wouldn't bother with one for that day. So depending on your plans, of how you're going to work things throughout the week, plan your CPH trips/non CPH card trips in a 24 or 72 hour fashion. Make sense? SO I would do Tivoli either very first, or very last, so as not to interrupt a 72 hour card with a "wasted" day.

Tivoli is NOT huge - but you can easily spend the day there. We have :D

We are on a cruise ship and will only be in Copenhagen from 8:00-4:00. Things I'm hoping to see - Little Mermaid, Gefion Fountain, Rosenborg Palace, Round Tower, Amalienborg Palace (with changing of guard), Styroget St, want to do a canal tour and we are going to the ice bar at 2:15-3:00. After ice bar we need to get back to ship. Do you think we can do all of the above? One last thing I hear you have great ice-cream - where do I find it? We will skip lunch and do ice cream:) I need a few souvinors also.

Can anyone tell me how much the #26 bus would be from the port to Tivoli and also do you need the correct money or can you use notes and get change. Also can you buy a round trip ticket or all day ticket? Another possibility would be a taxi, anyone know how much a taxi would cost or am i just as well getting the bus.

Donna

You catch the regular S-tog.

There really isn't anything "noteworthy" out there besides the castle and its grounds. Well, except for my favorite sweater / souvenir shop.

If you only have one day - then skip it and do downtown.

if you will have a free day - then it's totally worth seeing (IMHO).

Dear Freedom With Candles:

Thank you for all of this amazing information and the time you have put in with your replies.

I, too, am planning to see both Frederikborg Castle, as well as Kronborg Castle. (We will have 2 days in Coppenhagen and will do this the second day). Any advice as to how to plan this day and the transportation to use would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oceanqueen

Dear Freedom With Candles:

Thank you for all of this amazing information and the time you have put in with your replies.

I, too, am planning to see both Frederikborg Castle, as well as Kronborg Castle. (We will have 2 days in Coppenhagen and will do this the second day). Any advice as to how to plan this day and the transportation to use would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oceanqueen

We spent one day going to see both Frederikborg Castle and Kronborg Castle. We bought a 24 transportation card at the central train station, took a train for Hillerod. However, it was Sunday and the train we took did not go directly to Hillerod. A fellow passenger told us to get off the train and take a bus to another station. We simply followed the crowd as they were doing the same thing. There we took the train to Hillerod. From Hillerod, there was a 701 or 702 bus which will take you to the castle. Costs for bus are included in your card. Admission to the Castle is not included.

Fom Hillerod, we took a train to Elsinore and walked to Kronborg Castle. Before that, we bought an ice cream cone from the famous place that swdke described in the Wonderful Copenhagen thread. If you can't find it, it is so well known, just ask anyone and they will show you the way. The view looking across Sweden from this castle is simply breathtaking.

Archived