Carnival Valor - someone help!

AAV111

i returned from valor a few days ago also, none of my group got seasick... it was my first cruise and definatly wont be my last! I got sunburnt at St Maartin but thats not carnival's fault, haha... The only real complaint I would have, is that their toilet paper feels like sandpaper!! I've actually resorted to using the tissues (convienently in-reach :) ) to wipe...

I agree with you on the toilet paper! Never thought about the tissues, will remember that for next time.:p

I have heard it is a pit - opinions anyone? What should we do here if we go?

Thanks!!!:D

Who told ya it was the Pits? Isla Roatan is one of the nicest places I have been too. Tabayana Beach is a beautiful beach. If you listen to these clueless people you will never find out for yourself about how beautiful this island is, Isla Roatan rocks.

You can do the Zip Lines, Scuba, Snorkle or just lay out on the beach.

Do a search on YouTube and check out Roatan and Tabyana Beach.

310022468_b52c140931.jpg?v=0

2209661295_5375f92844.jpg?v=1201113042

Fred

My quick comparison between RCCL Explorer OTS (Voyager-class) and the Carnival Valor (I was on the Western route 2 weeks ago).

In terms of size, they are both about the same - megaships with plenty of public spaces. I like RCCL's layout better and it felt a lot easier to navigate the ship overall since the Royal Promenade always served as a central hub and allowed you to easily get anywhere. On the Valor, the two main dining rooms are located on the same decks with one midship and one in the back with the galley in between - so there are times where you have to go up (or down) to the correct decks to ensure you could make your way between the front and back of the ships (very noticeable when going from dinner to the theater for the show).

The cabins are slightly larger on Carnival (I stayed in interior cabins on both). It's definitely more noticeable when you compare bathrooms - the RCCL showers are very uncomfortable.

As for decor RCCL is definitely more subtle and quiet, while Carnival is more loud and vibrant with bright colors.

Contrary to most posters here, I found Carnival's food in the Dining Rooms to be on par with RCCL - nothing spectacular, but certainly not bad by any means. The other dining options (buffet / Lido deck, sushi, etc.) on Carnival however gives it the edge due to the variety (Fish & Chips, Mongolian Grill, sushi bar, deli, etc.).

There was definitely more nightlife on Carnival, but that's probably attributed to there being a younger crowd as compared to RCCL. On the week we went, the clubs / lounges were going strong well past midnight, whereas RCCL for the most part shut down by 1130 - midnight.

And to address the last question about Roatan. It is by no means the "pits". But it is certainly not as developed as the other ports yet - although both Carnival & RCCL are planning to build new port facilities there, so it's only a matter of time before it gets commercialized with Starbucks, McD's, Diamonds International, etc.. The beauty of this island is you get to see it in it's natural / undeveloped state - there are no huge shopping districts, malls, etc.. Instead, you have simple living, undisturbed forests and jungles, beautiful beaches, etc. The port area certainly doesn't offer much - so you definitely have to take a cab or a tour (check out the Port of call board here for recommendations) to explore the other parts of the island.

I think you'll have a blast on both the ship and the itinerary the Valor offers.

Who told ya it was the Pits? Isla Roatan is one of the nicest places I have been too. Tabayana Beach is a beautiful beach. If you listen to these clueless people you will never find out for yourself about how beautiful this island is, Isla Roatan rocks.

You can do the Zip Lines, Scuba, Snorkle or just lay out on the beach.

Do a search on YouTube and check out Roatan and Tabyana Beach.

310022468_b52c140931.jpg?v=0

2209661295_5375f92844.jpg?v=1201113042

Fred

Fred - I nominate you for the best CC photographer. I just got a new LCD monitor, and your pictures look even better than they did before.

Sorry for the hijack - We did the Valor Eastern itinerary last summer, and loved it. The ship itself is awesome, the service was superb, the entertainment was great, the food was fantastic...need I go on?

i returned from valor a few days ago also, none of my group got seasick... it was my first cruise and definatly wont be my last! I got sunburnt at St Maartin but thats not carnival's fault, haha... The only real complaint I would have, is that their toilet paper feels like sandpaper!! I've actually resorted to using the tissues (convienently in-reach :) ) to wipe...

I used to have to go to Europe a couple of times a year for my job. Such a sacrifice!:rolleyes: I always packed a few rolls of American TP. That European stuff was like brown paper grocery bags. Very scratchy on tender American bottoms.:D

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
I used to have to go to Europe a couple of times a year for my job. Such a sacrifice!:rolleyes: I always packed a few rolls of American TP. That European stuff was like brown paper grocery bags. Very scratchy on tender American bottoms.:D

Dan

I just heard that you can have your steward stock the room with "premium" or was it "preferred" TP... lesson learned!!!

I would recommend that for anyone who really wants to SEE Roatan, they rent a car! We rented one for $95 from Best Car Rental, right off the pier. Drove ourselves all over the island; poked around in every nook and cranny we could find and had a great time. We're buying property there (while it's still affordable), so it was important for us to really see what we'd be getting ourselves into. We love Roatan...can't wait for it to be our annual getaway spot!

My day in Roatan comprised of a ride to Salt and Pepper beach, a wonderful lobster lunch for $12, and some of the most amazing snorkeling I have ever experienced...I walked around and found a grove of plumeria trees with pink blossoms...I brought a branch home and planted it, it is the best souvenier I could ask for...what a beautiful island!

Archived