Jeans in Rotterdam Dining Room

happy tigress

It may not have been what they were wearing or "eau de shore excursion", perhaps someone in the line of sight had multiple body piercings or purple hair or forgot their teeth. I have seen all of the above onboard and yes, I did stare.

LOL ... possibly. I've seen some wild things, but I'm used to most of them. Some people are not used to seeing such, however, and it might startle them into staring.

We cannot always be certain as to why people will do what they do -- like stare. I would agree that they shouldn't be doing it, but people will.

Ok...I'll throw in my two cents....

Code or no code, whether nice jeans or not, whether expensive jeans or not, whether jeans are comfortable or not, whether jeans are acceptable at MacDonald's, or Outback, or wherever, please try to help me understand why jeans are ok in the Dining Room at Dinner?

When I think of a cruise on HAL, I see those brochures full of pictures of smartly-dressed people (no jeans) having an incredibly good time in elegant surroundings. They're not lounging in their backyard, or shopping at the mall, or taking the lawnmower in to be fixed....no, they're vacationing on a luxury cruise ship.... HAL claims to be a fleet of 5-star ships.

Is the Dining Room on a HAL ship more on par with a MacDonald's, or an Outback, or perhaps, is the Dining Room more on par with the Dining Rooms of the more elegant Hotels....would one wear jeans there? I quote from the HAL Rotterdam brochure (we just sailed on her)...."5-star fleet", "Elegantly-appointed ...", "superlative ship...", "two-tiered dining venue that provides one of the finest dining experiences at sea", "five-course maeals"..."are enhanced by impeccable service an an extensive wine list". Why wouldn't one (regardless of age) WANT to dress up a bit?

I know the way the world's going (ever see old film of baseball games...all the men are in jackets and ties?), and packing restrictions are tightening up, and that it's "my vacation and I'll dress how I like", and "my jeans are clean", and "my jeans cost $300", et cetera, but I just wonder why people wouldn't like to dress up a bit and live the fantasy, if only for a week or two.

Flame away if you will, but I'm just trying to understand.:confused:

Kevin

Sigh ... so few men fail to realize that the secret to marital bliss -- a quiet, pleasant, uncomplicated marriage -- are the magic words "yes dear."

As I say at every wedding:

(To the Bride) "Always remember, your husband will always get the last two words in every argument."

(To the Groom) "Always remember that those last two words are "Yes Dear.""

A marriage that holds this principle inviolate will last and will be filled with glorious peace for the husband.

I have seen you post this many times, and while funny, I disagree that it is sound advice.

Shouldn't any relationship/marriage be based on mutual respect and meeting as equals, not as one party always having the last word?

When I think of a cruise on HAL, I see those brochures full of pictures of smartly-dressed people (no jeans) having an incredibly good time in elegant surroundings. They're not lounging in their backyard, or shopping at the mall, or taking the lawnmower in to be fixed....no, they're vacationing on a luxury cruise ship.... HAL claims to be a fleet of 5-star ships.

Is the Dining Room on a HAL ship more on par with a MacDonald's, or an Outback, or perhaps, is the Dining Room more on par with the Dining Rooms of the more elegant Hotels....would one wear jeans there? I quote from the HAL Rotterdam brochure (we just sailed on her)...."5-star fleet", "Elegantly-appointed ...", "superlative ship...", "two-tiered dining venue that provides one of the finest dining experiences at sea", "five-course maeals"..."are enhanced by impeccable service an an extensive wine list". Why wouldn't one (regardless of age) WANT to dress up a bit?

I know the way the world's going (ever see old film of baseball games...all the men are in jackets and ties?), and packing restrictions are tightening up, and that it's "my vacation and I'll dress how I like", and "my jeans are clean", and "my jeans cost $300", et cetera, but I just wonder why people wouldn't like to dress up a bit and live the fantasy, if only for a week or two.

Flame away if you will, but I'm just trying to understand.:confused:

Hello Number 6 ... just call me the new number 2. ;) You'll get no flames from me. I understand your desire and attitude. I only wear jeans for rough physical activity -- like horseback riding, working on Habitat for Humanities Houses, etc. I don't wear jeans on cruises unless I'm doing an active shore excursion that calls for them. And, then, I change when I get aboard because I don't like being grimy, sweaty, and dirty ... and I always feel like I need to "Wash off the day" when I'm back aboard ship. Plus, I like the relaxed and elegant atmosphere of being aboard ship and eating in the main dining room ... and jeans just don't "do that" for me. For me, I need to be in at least dockers or dress slacks and a nice print, silk or button-down shirt on Smart Casual Nights ... if not dressed up a bit more than that. THAT is what makes ME comfortable.

But not everybody has the same comfort zone, and they don't all see the disconnect between a well-appointed, elegant dining room on the one hand and dressing in jeans or shorts or jogging clothing on the other hand. It comes down to people being different and we simply can't control how people act, react, or behave. All we can do is control ourselves; and part of that self-control, I have learned (painfully), is that we have to discover how to have our own elegant evenings even when there are people around us who are dressed differently. Anything else and we lose ... every time.

In the end I'm more interested in people, not in how they are dressed. Care and concern for people is part of my every-day life and work; when relaxed, I enjoy an elegant atmosphere and people looking and behaving wonderfully, but I've been so beaten to a pulp on this issue that I just can't expect that anymore. If someone is behaving like a thug I can just ignore them, go the other way, or ... if necessary ... call security. If someone is just looking like a thug ... well ... perhaps there's a beautiful person inside that I need to get to know? I'm willing to find out. Yes, it takes some "work" to get over the visual disconnect, but I have often found it to be a worthwhile exercise.

I have seen you post this many times, and while funny, I disagree that it is sound advice.

Shouldn't any relationship/marriage be based on mutual respect and meeting as equals, not as one party always having the last word?

:)

How serious do you think I am?

It's a humorous statement. It illicits a laugh at a tense moment in the wedding ceremony when the temptation is to become too preachy. Nevertheless, it IS sound advice in that rather than nagging and pestering or always demanding ones own way, one should be giving and forgiving to the other; that basic idea is found in BOTH responses. In sort, it's not to be taken literally, but is a metaphor for (1) don't always be demanding your own way, (2) when you happen to get it, be lavish in giving it back.

:)

How serious do you think I am?

It's a humorous statement. It illicits a laugh at a tense moment in the wedding ceremony when the temptation is to become too preachy. Nevertheless, it IS sound advice in that rather than nagging and pestering or always demanding ones own way, one should be giving and forgiving to the other; that basic idea is found in BOTH responses. In sort, it's not to be taken literally, but is a metaphor for (1) don't always be demanding your own way, (2) when you happen to get it, be lavish in giving it back.

I do see that it is said most likley in jest, but coming from a priest/minister in a solemn occasion, it may just carry a bit more authority. Does the Rev really mean it, or is he joking? Some denominations are quite serious about the woman being subservient to the man and would say somewhat the opposite of what you are saying (in the same setting) - and mean it!

Your words in the ceremony are basically that the man should always give in to the woman, even though your explanation states that it should be mutual.

BTW, I do agree with points 1 and 2 completely.

RevNeal:

You (as always) make some good points...thanks for your reply.

Ah...but who is Number One?;)

'Be seeing you...

Yes, indeed ... and that IS the question. :D ;)

Now I've gotta go watch some Prisoner Episodes. It's been a long time since I last did that. :D

I do see that it is said most likley in jest, but coming from a priest/minister in a solemn occasion, it may just carry a bit more authority. Does the Rev really mean it, or is he joking? Some denominations are quite serious about the woman being subservient to the man and would say somewhat the opposite of what you are saying (in the same setting) - and mean it!

I'm United Methodist ... we most certainly do NOT hold to that "subservient" idea. When I say it, in the sermon, no one has any doubt that I'm being both humorous and also a bit serious in a less-than-direct way. If nothing else, the twinkle in my eye and the grin on my face gives me away. At least ... in 18 years of active ministry I've never had any complaints about it ... while, at the same time, FAR fewer than the national average of divorces.

Your words in the ceremony are basically that the man should always give in to the woman, even though your explanation states that it should be mutual.

BTW, I do agree with points 1 and 2 completely.

Not quite, on the one hand, and yes on the other. My words are that each spouse should always give to the other that which they want: the husband wants the last word; the wife wants to know that he loves her. Each get it, on the surface, while also giving to the other.

This is off-topic, so if you want to discuss this any more please feel free to e-mail me off the board.

In keeping with comments made by numbersix above ...

I'm curious as to whether HAL publishes a separate/different suggested dress code for the dining room on Alaska sailings. I am not aware of an alternative code.

So, wouldn't the Polartec and hiking boots be more at home in the Lido? I am puzzled that many posters here seem to understand HAL's suggested code for Alaska as being different than for other itineraries.

When we went to Alaska some years ago, we did so on a small-ship line that markets itself as up close and personal and, yes, casual. Dressing for dinner meant changing into fresh jeans and t-shirt or sweatshirt. And, the entire atmosphere of the sailing was casual and without the elegance of HAL's ambiance ... that, in fact, was why we chose to do Alaska in that manner.

I'm curious as to whether HAL publishes a separate/different suggested dress code for the dining room on Alaska sailings. I am not aware of an alternative code.

No, they don't. You are quite correct that the code is the same, regardless of the itinerary. It's compliance that varies greatly.

Dressing less than "smart casual" is still underdressing, even in Alaska.

This is off-topic, so if you want to discuss this any more please feel free to e-mail me off the board.

No need to discuss it more. :)

It's all about the context of where it is said, by itself here it may come over differently than in in the setting you decribed.

So, I'll put on my clean jeans after I showered and you can show up in your collar - let's have a drink onboard some time. :)

Yes, indeed ... and that IS the question. :D ;)

Now I've gotta go watch some Prisoner Episodes. It's been a long time since I last did that. :D

RevNeal,

Are you talking about the Patrick McGoohan as "Number 6" Prisoner ?

God I haven't seen that in years .

One of the stations here used to show the reruns while I was in high school and I was addicted.

Enjoy:)

RevNeal,

Are you talking about the Patrick McGoohan as "Number 6" Prisoner ?

God I haven't seen that in years .

One of the stations here used to show the reruns while I was in high school and I was addicted.

Enjoy:)

Yes. :) I have the series on Video tape. Excellent program.

I'm United Methodist ... we most certainly do NOT hold to that "subservient" idea. When I say it, in the sermon, no one has any doubt that I'm being both humorous and also a bit serious in a less-than-direct way. If nothing else, the twinkle in my eye and the grin on my face gives me away. At least ... in 18 years of active ministry I've never had any complaints about it ... while, at the same time, FAR fewer than the national average of divorces.

Not quite, on the one hand, and yes on the other. My words are that each spouse should always give to the other that which they want: the husband wants the last word; the wife wants to know that he loves her. Each get it, on the surface, while also giving to the other.

Wow can't believe anyone would take your joke seriously. Simply amazing:rolleyes: .

:D

Monty Python

The Prisoner

The Vicar of Dibley

Fawlty Towers

Dr. Who

I love British Television.

I love them all . Our local PBS station has been showing a lot more variety of Britcoms lately.

I love the Vicar of Dibley . I have to admit that on occasion I think of Geraldine as the female REVNEAL *LOL* Great personality and a wicked sense of humor :)

Now if you and her could co-chaplin a cruise . I'd be there *LOL* :)

I love them all . Our local PBS station has been showing a lot more variety of Britcoms lately.

I love the Vicar of Dibley . I have to admit that on occasion I think of Geraldine as the female REVNEAL *LOL* Great personality and a wicked sense of humor :)

Now if you and her could co-chaplin a cruise . I'd be there *LOL* :)

LOL ... well ... I'm not as wacky as she is. :D

But, even with my flaws, like her I try to do the right thing.

Archived