Which ports to dive on this itinerary.

sleepr

Going on the Grand Princess in January to these ports. We will be SSI open water certified by the time we go (course starts in Aug). Looking for advice on which ports will be the best for a good first carribean dive. We may dive in 2 locations or 3 if we can so list off best choices and if you have any recommendations for dive operations that is appreciated as well.

Aruba, Curacao, Trinidad, Barbabdos, St Vincent, St Kitts, St Thomas, La Romana, Grand Turk.

Oh my GOSH...which one DONT you dive from is the question. From my reading and research (unfortunately not from experience) definitely Aruba and Curacao

From my experience, I agree on Curacao, but definitely not Aruba if you are only going to pick 2. I'd put Grand Turk on the list as second choice. For Curacao I'd go with http://www.the-dive-bus.com/ for Grand Turk I'd go with Blue Water Divers again. Aruba diving was OK, but not nearly as good a Curacao.

I've also enjoyed diving in St. Thomas with http://www.admiraltydive.com

Going on the Grand Princess in January to these ports. We will be SSI open water certified by the time we go (course starts in Aug). Looking for advice on which ports will be the best for a good first carribean dive. We may dive in 2 locations or 3 if we can so list off best choices and if you have any recommendations for dive operations that is appreciated as well.

Aruba, Curacao, Trinidad, Barbabdos, St Vincent, St Kitts, St Thomas, La Romana, Grand Turk.

Assuming you are going to book the dives through the cruise ship, they don't have dive excursions in the following ports, Trinidad, St. Vincent, St. Kitts or La Romana. For the remaining ports I would pick, in order:

1) Curacao

2) Aruba

3) St. Thomas

Curacao and Aruba at the southern end of the itinerary. The water is more clear and the reefs are more pristine. I didn't pick Grand Turk because I've never been here. It could be a great dive but from what I've heard it is not better than the ABCs (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao). St. Thomas doesn't have as much to look at but the dive operators are much more polished. So the above water experience in St. Thomas is better and the underwater experience is really good (just not excellent).

I have heard that St. Kitts is very good diving but you'll have to book your own dive excursion. If you really want to dive there you have two shops to pick from Pro Divers or Kenneths. I booked with Pro Divers last time I was there (April of this year) but they cancelled on me a few days before I got there. Good thing I was checking my email on the ship. If you want the contact information for St. Kitts I can dig it out for you, just let me know.

There is diving in Barbados but I've never been very impressed with it. Some people rave about Westside Scuba (this is who the ship will most likely contract) but I've dove with them twice and didn't enjoy it at all. Barbados is out in the Atlantic so the water is not as clear or calm as the other islands. Additionally, Westside Scuba has a really weird set up. The lay out is the shop, beside the shop is a hotel that doesn't like the scuba shop and then other the other side of the hotel is the scuba boat. If you cut across the hotel to get to the boat they get annoyed so you can to walk along the shore. The shore is all rocks and the tide pounds against the rocks. When you finally get to where the boat is, you have to wade out into the water, to about chest deep, carrying all your equipment. You hand your equipment to the person on the boat then you have to get into the boat, without the aid of a ladder. Both times I dove here it was in 3 to 4 foot waves. Not fun. Additionally, when they took us back to the boat the first time, they didn't have enough room in the van so I had to go back in a truck. The shop owner was annoyed that I was wet and getting his seat wet.

Finally, if you want to book your own dives, go with The Dive Bus in Curacao. Suzy and Mark are great. You can book with them at http://hhttp://www.the-dive-bus.com/. You'll have to get a cab to the dive shop. If you go with the ship they will take you 5 miles further north of The Dive Bus. Additionally, if you book with The Dive Bus, bring extra cash. They are beside a really good fish and chip shop. I think the place sell other stuff too. They take credit card but the phone line often has trouble so you are best to bring cash. When you get a cab from the dock it should be around $16 to The Dive Bus but establish the price before you get in the cab. Suzy or Mark will call you a cab when you are ready to go back to the ship.

From my experience, I agree on Curacao, but definitely not Aruba if you are only going to pick 2. I'd put Grand Turk on the list as second choice. For Curacao I'd go with http://www.the-dive-bus.com/ for Grand Turk I'd go with Blue Water Divers again. Aruba diving was OK, but not nearly as good a Curacao.

I've also enjoyed diving in St. Thomas with www.admiraltydive.com

Listen to Bruce. He knows his stuff. If he says Grand Turk is better than Aruba then it most likely is. ;)

By the way, if you do Aruba (as well :D) you will probably be diving with Red Sail Sports. This who I dove with the last two times I was in Aruba.

Listen to Bruce. He knows his stuff. If he says Grand Turk is better than Aruba then it most likely is. ;)

By the way, if you do Aruba (as well :D) you will probably be diving with Red Sail Sports. This who I dove with the last two times I was in Aruba.

Hi,

I second Bruce's recommendation to go with Blue Water Divers on Grand Turk. Aruba is ok but Grand Turk has a wonderful barrier reef with a 300ft. deep wall that is as prestine as it gets. Dove there the last two cruises and the next cruise will include Grand Turk for a third time diving there. :)

Randall

Does the dive bus in Curacao do boat dives? It looks like, from their site, that they focus on shore dives.

I believe they only do shore dives. When I was there they had no boat. A group of people were loading tanks into a van. The van left to meet a bunch of other people. For my group, we wade in right at The Dive Bus hut. They have a nice protected cove so getting into the water was really easy.

For small groups they just dive the area right near the shop. For larger groups they go somewhere else but still do shore diving.

Just to be sure you can email Suzy or Mark at doris@the-dive-bus.com. The internet connection is a little at the dive bus so she might not get back to you for a day or two.

• 4 weeks later...

You have just got to go diving with Suzy and Mark at The Dive Bus - they are absolutely fabulous!!!! Keith and I have been with them several times, and are heading back again in the spring. I just wish we could afford the flights down there to stay for a week.

Beware - they do put blackmail photos on their website. We were first listed as the 'cruise ship invasion', and now we're the 'serial cruise shippers'. Look us up on their website and you will see what I mean. The last one is absolutely hilarious.

Unfortunately, my dive photos from the last trip got deleted as I made an oops with the memory card, and Suzy's laptop had had an issue with coffee by the time I had discovered it...but they were really good. I got some photos posted from our dive buddies, and there are some up from other trips if you want to take a look. I also have a little blurb on them for our trip next February as well.

Wish I was going with you!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

dive website

http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith

spring cruise 2009

http://www.freewebs.com/grandprincess-02-27-09

• 2 months later...

Well just got my OW cert dives done this past weekend. Diving in 57 F water in 7mm farmer with hood and gloves. Awesome, cannot wait for the trip, may have to add a 3rd day to the dive plan! We will have our SSI stress and rescue complete before we leave as well and hopefully a few more pool dives. Now that I'm hooked we need to start thinking about equipment and wetsuits. I've been considering the Henderson 5 mm Full hyperstretch. Does this make sense?

My son did a couple of dives with Blue Water Divers on Grand Turk last January. He love them. And we packed a duffle with clothing which they took to the Red Cross Thrift Store on the island. They seemed thrilled to get the donation and the proceeds go to disaster relief. Cherie

Hi,

I second Bruce's recommendation to go with Blue Water Divers on Grand Turk. Aruba is ok but Grand Turk has a wonderful barrier reef with a 300ft. deep wall that is as prestine as it gets. Dove there the last two cruises and the next cruise will include Grand Turk for a third time diving there. :)

Randall

Good news, Blue Water Divers should be back in time for your cruise. Per their website:

09/18/2008

Mitch and the whole staff are fine, but there are power issues across the island. We have little cell phone access, no landline phones, and no e-mail access. That said, no emails will be lost but it may take a week or two for us to respond. The reef system has survived nicely, and the diving will be fine once we're all repaired on land. Ike has not beaten us !!!

:D

I would highly recommend S.E Aruba Fly and Dive at http://www.se-aruba.com for diving there. They will pick you up and take you a mile or two to their shop right by the airport. You can actually see their shop from the ship if you know where to look. They have a very nice boat and excellent crew. We did some great drift diving, and saw 2 turtles, morrays and a flounder plus lobster and lots of other stuff. The reef was amazing (did fingers). The drift dives were great, just jump in and let the current do the rest. Had a dive master in the front and the back of the group.

I have not done Grand Turk but would not recommend admiralty dive in St. Thomas. Was not impressed with them or the places they took us. Went to the "supermarket" and the barge off the airport. Nothing to leave home for. Highly recommend Aruba!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been actually lusting after the idea of the world's biggest live aboard, I'm just not sure I can convince the GF to give up shopping! Hopefully once we dive Curacao, I can convince her it would be good for us to support the local dive shops in a few more ports.

We'll be on this same Princess Grand itinerary. I haven't seen Trinidad addressed. We've done some research, and have found that Tobago is THE diving spot, not so much Trinidad (murky water, etc.), but there won't be time to travel to Tobago. I don't dive, but dh does.

Anyone have any input on Trinidad diving?

I've been actually lusting after the idea of the world's biggest live aboard, I'm just not sure I can convince the GF to give up shopping! Hopefully once we dive Curacao, I can convince her it would be good for us to support the local dive shops in a few more ports.

sleepr,

I've been using Princess cruise lines as the world's largest live aboard for 2 years now. It is fantastic!

There is no reason you cannot have your cake and your GF too. ;)

You can usually get a 2 tank dive in and still have plenty of time for shopping. The dive operators usually like to try and get two groups in a day. I like to get the morning session because the dive sites are less crowded. We usually get back by noon/1pm. I have a quick shower, leave my gear in the shower and meet my wife for lunch. After a quick bite to eat we are back on shore and checking out the shopping. The islands are so small, you can usually find all the shopping within 20 minutes walk of the port.

The only exception to this rule is Curacao. The dive shops are a little further away so your dive ends by noon but by the time you get back, shower and eat lunch, you don't have a lot of time to shop. Plus Princess tends to dock at the far pier. It is a 20 to 30 minute walk to downtown and downtown is huge.

I spent one entire week in La Romana last July, it was just okay. I would not miss Grand Turk as one of the top.

If you ever have a chance to dive Dominica that was one fantastic week of diving.

Well just got my OW cert dives done this past weekend. Diving in 57 F water in 7mm farmer with hood and gloves. Awesome, cannot wait for the trip, may have to add a 3rd day to the dive plan! We will have our SSI stress and rescue complete before we leave as well and hopefully a few more pool dives. Now that I'm hooked we need to start thinking about equipment and wetsuits. I've been considering the Henderson 5 mm Full hyperstretch. Does this make sense?

I think we have a lot in common!

My checkouts some years ago were in 55 degree water with a 7 mm wetsuit... surounded by everyone else in their drysuits. I was in college at the time and barely scraped enough $ together to take the course, much less pony up the extra cash for the dry suit course as well. Wow, I wish I'd taken out a loan, it was freezing :)

I have the Henderson 5mm full hyperstretch. I usually dive in the Caribbean and even with warm water, I get cold very easily. Sometimes I add a 3mm vest and/or gloves, and always, always, always booties!

I can't say enough good things about this wetsuit- it's super comfortable and fits like a dream. I would imagine that if you are unusually shaped or sized (not implying that you are, I don't even know if you are male or female, but just FYI) it is especially forgiving because of the stretchiness. I am pretty average but love the flexibility of it.

They are coming out with a new and improved version (can't think of the name of it right now, it was just in one of the diving mags this month, can't remember which one) very soon so may want to check into that, or see if that one's release drives the HS price down a little.

Thanks Dive Lady, St Vincent was one of the ports I'm looking at for more diving. Dylaness thanks for the comments on the hyperstretch, I'm also looking at the Bare equivalent, I like the idea of the stretch material has I know I'll add a few pounds on the cruise!

I booked a dive for our folks with Kay at Indigo Dive in St. Vincent. However, it seems that their E-mail may be down with the passage of the last storm, as I have not heard back on my last 2 E-mails.

Right now, we have dives booked for:

Curacao - The Dive Bus

St. Kitts - Kenneth's Dive Center

Aruba - Dive Aruba

St. Vincent - Indigo Dive

I'm still debating about what to do about Grand Turk - Blue Water seems to be the consensus opinion, but I really detest non-refundable deposits.

I also have been doing some reading about La Romana -it seems that there is some good diving east of the ship dock in Bayahibe. Does anybody have any info or an operation there that works with cruisers?

Wendy

the latest dive info for our trip (and other tours, too)

http://www.freewebs.com/grandprincess-02-27-09/portstours.htm

I am a new diver who just returned from the Noordam's Eastern Caribbean sailing.

We dove with EcoDiveBarbados in Barbados. The owner/dive master, Andrew Western, was very good to us as new divers.

Rates were good and he takes out only a small group of folks. Our first dive was a wreck around 50ft and the second was a cluster of sunk ships in the Carlisle Bay marine park - depths around 30ft and lots of marine life.

Hope this helps.

Archived